Author Topic: Winnie Mandela not welcome in Canada  (Read 1444 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winnie Mandela not welcome in Canada
« on: June 06, 2007, 07:39:25 AM »
'She's devastated, we're devastated,' organizer says
June 06, 2007
Allan Woods
Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA–The ex-wife of former South African president Nelson Mandela has been barred from entering Canada, stranding her at home in Johannesburg when she had planned to stand in the spotlight last night at a Toronto gala for an opera that celebrates her life.

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, 70, learned Monday that her application for a temporary resident visa had been denied, just as she was packing her bags and preparing to fly to Toronto for the event with her daughter.

An event organizer told a steady stream of reporters of Madikizela-Mandela's disappointment even as performers rehearsed in the background of the Capitol Event Theatre on Yonge Street.

"She's devastated, we're devastated. She'd gone a week before that to get her visa and everything was fine," Carole Adriaans of MusicaNoir said.

The MusicaNoir theatre company, which launches The Passion of Winnie Friday night, was stunned in part because the human rights campaigner and AIDS activist had been in New York City just three weeks ago to receive an award for her efforts tackling the medical scourge in her native country.

Hardy Jimbes, founder and president of the New York-based Save Africa Concert Foundation, said it was relatively easy to arrange the visit with U.S. officials. He sent a letter to the embassy in South Africa with information about the award his organization was bestowing on Madikizela-Mandela and the temporary visas were processed for the trip, which lasted from May 18 to 22. "I don't understand why they would refuse a visa to her," Jimbes told the Star in a telephone interview after he was informed of Canada's decision. "It's uncalled for."

It appears that Canadian immigration officials were more influenced by Madikizela-Mandela's criminal record than by her record of good work and advocacy when they processed her visa application.

Along with Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress party, Madikizela-Mandela was prominent in the fight to free the country's black majority from the white minority's apartheid regime. But she has also been sentenced to prison twice for crimes seemingly separate from her political struggle.

In 1991, one year after her last public visit to Canada, she was convicted of kidnapping a 14-year-old boy and being an accessory to his murder.

In 2003, she was convicted of 68 counts of theft and fraud in connection with a number of bank loan applications in the name of non-existent individuals she said were in the African National Congress Women's League.

She pleaded that she was only trying to help poor women, but the judge discounted her argument, saying: "You are no Robin Hood." Still, she escaped both convictions without serving jail time.

Canadian officials would not comment directly on the case, but said anyone with a criminal record is automatically barred from entering Canada except if they obtain a ministerial permit. There were more than 247,000 temporary residents permitted into Canada in 2005. A member of the House of Commons immigration committee estimated that between 600 and 1,000 ministerial permits are granted each year. "It's certainly not immediately apparent why such a visa should be denied," said NDP leader Jack Layton.

"Unfortunately, there are far too many visas being denied to individuals who want to come to this country for a whole series of very positive and helpful purposes."

Many politicians and dignitaries had already lent their support to the opera honouring her life, which reportedly received a $20,000 federal grant.

Governor General Michaëlle Jean, Ontario Lieutenant Governor James Bartleman, Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, Toronto Mayor David Miller, former Ontario premier Bob Rae and Toronto Liberal MP Bill Graham all sent written declarations of support to be published in the opera's program.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper declined a request to write a message of support for the show, Adriaans told the Star. But Secretary of State for Multiculturalism Jason Kenney sent along his support for a show that, he wrote, "demonstrates the potential of artistic expression to enhance cross-cultural understanding and communication."

Graham's message says that Canadians are proud of the "solidarity they shared with South Africans in the struggle against apartheid.

"Today we remain connected to South Africa through bonds of shared values and a shared view of global interests," he wrote.

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Winnie Mandela not welcome in Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 11:23:29 AM »
<<In 1991, one year after her last public visit to Canada, she was convicted of kidnapping a 14-year-old boy and being an accessory to his murder.>>

Geeze, what's the country coming to when a convicted criminal and accessory to a murder can't waltz in through our front door?  Maybe it's time for her to visit the U.S.A. again.   Luis Posada Carriles could issue the invitation.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »
Geeze, what's the country coming to when a convicted criminal and accessory to a murder can't waltz in through our front door?  Maybe it's time for her to visit the U.S.A. again.   Luis Posada Carriles could issue the invitation.

She was approved to enter the US on 1999/12/18, well after her conviction. She was also approved in 1997. And, according to this article, she was approved to enter the US 3 weeks ago.

Besides, she's paid her debt to society, isn't that what you've always claimed? Once they're out of prison, they should get all their rights back including the right to vote?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 11:55:27 AM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
Our Hillary
May 28th, 2007 · No Comments
The prospect of a Zuma presidency is too scary to contemplate, especially if rumours of Gaddafi’s contribution to his election campaign are true. I think we should all immediately start putting forward as many alternative candidates as possible.

As much as I’d like to see Tokyo (you’re fired) Sexwale elected, I am sure that he’ll face a major uphill battle against COSATU and the rest of the lefties in the ruling party. Also, his name sounds more like a rude Japanese Cocktail that I once ordered in a karaoki bar.

I have been following the Hillary (don’t talk about Monica) Clinton campaign in the States with interest. If elected, she will be the first woman president of the US. What really interests me about her candidature however, is that she was previously First Lady.

Now I know that technically our very own Winnie (don’t talk about Stompie) Mandela, was never First Lady, but she is the ex-wife of our beloved Nelson, so the similarities are there for those who look for them.

I know this is really naughty, but could you just picture Winnie leading the ANC, with Helen (God) Zille Leader of the Opposition?  Man, that could easily make the Jerry Springer show.

→ No CommentsTags: Political Satire · South Africa · Humor · Humour
http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »
<<Besides, she's paid her debt to society, isn't that what you've always claimed? Once they're out of prison, they should get all their rights back including the right to vote?>>

You are absolutely correct, except that entering my country is not a right, it's a privilege.  Nobody except a Canadian citizen or permanent resident has a right to enter Canada.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 09:17:11 AM »
<<Besides, she's paid her debt to society, isn't that what you've always claimed? Once they're out of prison, they should get all their rights back including the right to vote?>>

You are absolutely correct, except that entering my country is not a right, it's a privilege.  Nobody except a Canadian citizen or permanent resident has a right to enter Canada.

I like that.

Entering the USA ought to be reguarded as a privilege too.

We have been getting an annoying number of people who consider it a right.