Author Topic: Poll from Christianity Today  (Read 5128 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Poll from Christianity Today
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 02:45:10 PM »
Note especially verses 22 and 29. 22 pertains to homosexuality specifically, and 29 is the punishment for such, as well as all the other sins listed. Cutting a person off basically means casting them out, no longer allowing them to participate in or be members of the community. I think that would also mean not hiring them.

These would be examples of the Mosaic Law that do not necessarily apply to Christians.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 02:48:42 PM »
These would be examples of the Mosaic Law that do not necessarily apply to Christians.
=========================================================
On the other hand, you will find a definite homophobic trend in the works that are attributed to Paul.

The Holy Mother Church bases its exclusion of homos on the New Testament, mostly.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 02:57:34 PM »
=========================================================
On the other hand, you will find a definite homophobic trend in the works that are attributed to Paul.

The Holy Mother Church bases its exclusion of homos on the New Testament, mostly.

The Church does not "exclude" homosexuals at all.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:09 PM »

The Church does not "exclude" homosexuals at all.
=====================================
How many times has the Church prevented gays from marching in St Paddy's Day parades?

The Church excludes gays in the same way it excludes adulterers, fornicators and pederasts: they must confess, atone for their sins and promise to try to never sin again. Surely you know this.

If Adam and Steve try a little cheek-to-cheek at the sockhop at St Mary's, you know what will happen.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 03:29:52 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 03:49:27 PM »
How about the US Constitution?

British common law?

The Code Napoleon?

The Bible is not in the running here, and never was, and never will be. And that is a GOOD THING.

What makes any of these a good thing?
===========================================================================
It is a GOOD THING that the Bible is not the basis for our laws, and has never been the basis, and never will be the basis.

The deal is that some people, who have never actually READ the bloody thing, are entirely unaware of the hate, bigotry, and superstition that pervades the Bible. Perhaps you are one of those people.

These parts of the Bible are rarely used as the basis for sermons, and preachers tend to look the other way rather than get into the gory details.

But the Bible is homophobic, bigoted, anti-women, and even pro-slavery. It is just anti slavery if one proposes that the slaves be Hebrews, they being the Chosen People and all.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

You leave me unanswered , what makes one of the , or any of the documents yo mentioned a good root of ethical law?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »
You leave me unanswered , what makes one of the , or any of the documents yo mentioned a good root of ethical law?

===============================================================
That was not your question. You question was what would be a better basis for law than the Bible.

Each of these attempts to describe an equal standard of justice for all. The Bible often had one standard for priests and kings and another for commoners. None of them attempts to punish sons and daughters for the sins of their parents, as the Bible frequently does. All leave religion out of the judging as well as the sentencing.

And that is just for starters.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »
Note especially verses 22 and 29. 22 pertains to homosexuality specifically, and 29 is the punishment for such, as well as all the other sins listed. Cutting a person off basically means casting them out, no longer allowing them to participate in or be members of the community. I think that would also mean not hiring them.

i disagree. Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Old Testament.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 07:06:44 PM »
doesn`t mosaic law state even that guilt is passed down through the generations.
meaning people do not have to commit or think of a crime to be guilty of it.
everybody was guilty in the old testament days.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »
<<You leave me unanswered , what makes one of the , or any of the documents yo mentioned a good root of ethical law?>>

Actually (not that it matters much) I thought that was the Professor's question.  But it's a good question.  Sorta lobbed slowly over the plate, so I figured somebody would pretty much have to answer it.

I won't speak for the Code Napoleon, but I'd assume it has the same virtues as English Common Law and the U.S. Constitution.  the latter two recognize the innate worth and dignity of every single human being.  Rich and poor, Jew and Gentile, gay and straight, male and female.  As XO said, " Each of these attempts to describe an equal standard of justice for all." 

Maybe you have to be some kind of outsider to appreciate this to its fullest extent.  My mum's parents came to Canada from a little shit-hole in Poland where a Jew could be beaten to death in the street with less consequences for the killer than if he had killed a rich man's dog.  They came suddenly into a world where the fundamental principle of English common law was the cornerstone of the local  law:  "the equality of the individual before the law."   A fucking Jew who didn't speak a word of English had the exact same rights to the protection and benefit of the law as the Presbyterian son or daughter of people whose ancestors had settled this Province as Loyalist refugees from the American Revolution.  And the U.S. Constitution went even farther, and wrote guarantees of religious freedom and state non-interference right into a Bill of Rights.  Maybe that's nothing to you, but I will tell you, to my parents and to me that is one big fucking deal.  You try to find anything like THAT in the Old Testament and you'll still be looking for it at the end of this Milennium.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 08:30:22 PM »
i disagree. Jesus Christ came to fulfill the Old Testament.

======================================
I keep hearing this, but what Jesus was supposed to have had as his mission is not at all what he did.

He walked about for three years, got himself killed in a manner which was ever so grisly, but quite common for the times, and promised to return.

He wrote nothing, although the Jewish religion was and is one of the most literary religions ever devised.

He returned for one, maybe two brief instances, and mentioned that he would return yet again before those he was speaking to had died.

But they died, and no Jesus.

Almost 2000 years, and still no Jesus. The Witlesses say he popped in in 1918 and still has chosen to reveal himself. If we assume he was 33 when he left the first time and has not aged in Heaven, that's make him 122 years old. Of course, he might not have aged at all, but that seems a bit deceptive to me.

In terms of effective recognition, Mickey Mouse and Coca-Cola are better known than Jesus, despite his major head start.
Neither Mickey nor Coca Cola make any claims of being prophesied or of being perfect and eternal beings, although I suspect they are more eternal than any of us.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »
http://synaptoman.wordpress.com/

Extremes of the Scale
May 31st, 2007 · 1 Comment
I’ve often pondered the “grey areas”. The extremes, as well as the middle pieces of actions intrigue me. Any action can probably be termed, “right” or “wrong”, but confusion arises when you move along the scale to places where “only slightly wrong” and “not really right” are almost the same thing. Let me give you some examples from breaking news stories.

Littering

A court-sanctioned farm eviction recently took place in the Winelands district in South Africa. A Sheriff of the Court, with court order in hand, evicted a family from a house on a farm that they were illegally occupying. All of their furniture and possessions were unceremoniously dumped in a ditch, on one of the coldest nights of the year. Unable to take any action against the Sheriff for this heinous act, the Municipality charged him with littering on Municipal property (the ditch). Littering is “wrong”, but this must surely be regarded as a case of “extreme littering”.

Throwing a cigarette butt into a gutter is also littering (which is wrong), but does the petty nature of this action make it “not so wrong” or “not quite right”?

Murder

Murder is wrong, very wrong. Two young boys aged 7 and 12, from the Klawer district, hacked an eight-year-old friend to death this week with a homemade axe for R5 (US 70c) and some raisins. This is an extreme and barbaric act, which should result in the most extreme sentence available in our courts, but obviously it won’t, because of the age of the perpetrators. Does this make it “less wrong” than a similar murder committed by adults, and if so, why?

Eating Meat

A British performance artist has eaten a dog to protest against the royal family’s treatment of animals. Mark McGowan, a vegetarian, ate a plate of meatballs made from a corgi. Yoko Ono also tucked in to protest against fox hunting.

Why is this act so repulsive that it is classified, “very wrong” and yet we daily slaughter and eat millions of other mammals with senses and feelings? If eating a dog is “very wrong”, is eating a cow, “only slightly wrong” or is it “very right”, and why?

From the above examples, one can conclude that once the action is classified, the slider on the scale is then moved left or right, depending on circumstances.

Circumstances could be;

Who did it? - murder by a minor is not as bad as murder by an adult

Where did they do it? - eating a dog in Seoul is not as bad as eating a dog in London.

When did they do it? - having unprotected sex in in the 60’s was safer than now.

Why did they do it? - stealing to feed one’s children is not as bad as plain stealing.

Enough for now.

Woof !!!

→ 1 CommentTags: South Africa · Ramblings

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »
Where did they do it? - eating a dog in Seoul is not as bad as eating a dog in London.

don`t forget-it`s a corgi
they never tasted that good
dashund is much better tasting
very tender.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
<<You leave me unanswered , what makes one of the , or any of the documents yo mentioned a good root of ethical law?>>

Actually (not that it matters much) I thought that was the Professor's question.  But it's a good question.  Sorta lobbed slowly over the plate, so I figured somebody would pretty much have to answer it.

I won't speak for the Code Napoleon, but I'd assume it has the same virtues as English Common Law and the U.S. Constitution.  the latter two recognize the innate worth and dignity of every single human being.  Rich and poor, Jew and Gentile, gay and straight, male and female.  As XO said, " Each of these attempts to describe an equal standard of justice for all." 

Maybe you have to be some kind of outsider to appreciate this to its fullest extent.  My mum's parents came to Canada from a little shit-hole in Poland where a Jew could be beaten to death in the street with less consequences for the killer than if he had killed a rich man's dog.  They came suddenly into a world where the fundamental principle of English common law was the cornerstone of the local  law:  "the equality of the individual before the law."   A fucking Jew who didn't speak a word of English had the exact same rights to the protection and benefit of the law as the Presbyterian son or daughter of people whose ancestors had settled this Province as Loyalist refugees from the American Revolution.  And the U.S. Constitution went even farther, and wrote guarantees of religious freedom and state non-interference right into a Bill of Rights.  Maybe that's nothing to you, but I will tell you, to my parents and to me that is one big fucking deal.  You try to find anything like THAT in the Old Testament and you'll still be looking for it at the end of this Milennium.

Did the Pre-Christian English law recognize the innate worth and dignity of every single human being. ?

This is a principal that can be found suggested in the Old Testiment and expounded well in the New Testiment.

Even the principal of an Eye for an Eye and a Tooth for a tooth is often misunderstood as a minimum but it is an egalitariam maximum.

Only one eye for an eye only one tooth for a tooth  as if my teeth and yours were of equivelent worth.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
Did the Pre-Christian English law recognize the innate worth and dignity of every single human being. ?

English Common Law was initially imposed by William the Bastard (later called Conqueror) and therefore is not pre-Christian (William was a "good Christian").
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
Ami has it right - - there was no "pre-Christian English common law."  The laws of the pre-Christian and even the Christian Heptarchy were not common, which is to say that the laws of Sussex would not have been the laws of East Anglia or of Essex and so on. 

But I think your point was probably that it was only through the influence of Christianity that the English common law came to recognize the dignity and worth of the individual.  I would say that quite the opposite was true - - Christianity played a devastating role in the development of human rights in England (and on the Continent as well.)  Men and women were disembowelled, burnt at the stake and killed after other horrible tortures for following the "wrong" religion at the wrong time.  All with the blessings of the laws of England and its Church - - whichever one happened to be in the ascendancy at the time.  In a long, slow process of weeding the Christian religion and its variations out of the laws of the state, Englishmen gradually grew to an appreciation of freedom of conscience and belief, as much from self-preservation and revulsion at the results of the imposition of "Christian values" on the law as from any ideological conviction.