Author Topic: Evangelical groups make war on terror look like a Crusade  (Read 27611 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Evangelical groups make war on terror look like a Crusade
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »
...trivial references...

No so trivial to the Indians involved, who were forced to attend the schools, or who had their children ripped from them and taken to such schools.

But then you always were one to trivialize others' misfortunes, if it didn't fall in line with your warped view of things.

Gotta try to knock sirs down if possible

You made a statement, I proved it wrong. Now you want to split hairs, as usual.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:17:36 PM by hnumpah »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 10:06:03 PM »
...trivial references...

No so trivial to the Indians involved, who were forced to attend the schools, or who had their children ripped from them and taken to such schools.

Of course not, but in the scope of the Crusades or Militant Islam, not even close to comparable.  But hey, if winning this game is so important to you, let's get it on record.  I sirs, have conceded that there was an example, post Crusades, that H found that demonstrates extreme, almost militant behavior applied to an Indian tribe, somewhere in Canada, sometime in the early 1900's.  I should have made it more clear to folks like H, that my point was in reference to something, anything, even remotely close to the Crusades, but apparently that wasn't quite understood by those, who apparently have a knee-jerk need to try and prove someone they don't agree with, as wrong

There, that should make it all better.  Now perhaps we can return to more comparable references and context.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 01:16:41 AM »
Can you present an instance of Christians killing pagans who refuse to convert in oh, say the past 300 years or so? This article is simply a lame attempt to deflect current events and point a finger at ancient history. It makes the simple minded revert to the template.
===========================================================
300 years ago would be around 1707 AD. There were MILLIONS of Native Americans. First Nations Canadians, and a host of others who were slaughtered because they refused to be washed in the Blood of the Lamb. We could include native Australians, Maori in NZ, Filipinos, and many others.

I suggest that your knowledge of historical chronology is off by about 200 years.

The idea that government and religion should be joined or united in any way was the single worst idea that anyone has ever come up with. It bagan in Egypt, was spread by the Jews, and infected Christians and Muslims alike.

Decent religions, like Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism (or Parsi),Jainism, and even Sikhism and Shinto tend to leave other peoples alone.

These are our Gods. You leave ours alone, and we shall leave yours be.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 03:04:03 AM »

"........descend with Bible in one hand and loaf of bread in the other ......."

Romans 12:20
On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

Or fix his hunger ,depending on his attitude.

Alfred Hitchcock once told his audience that an Uncle of his used to take him to dinner and tell him boring story's , he said he wouldlisten to the story's politely because he felt obliged having just eaten dinner at his Uncles expense , this reminded him tha it was time for a commercial.

Should we criticize the reason that someone does a good thing, or accept the good thing regardless the reason?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 03:05:48 AM »
There are many Mosques in the USA thathve been built by funds from Saudi Arabia , where it would be very difficult for us to build a church.

Is our tolerant attitude superior or inferior to the Saudi attitude?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 08:12:16 AM »
Decent religions, like Buddhism, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism (or Parsi),Jainism, and even Sikhism and Shinto tend to leave other peoples alone.

There is historically a conflict between Sikhs and Muslims.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 09:28:23 AM »

There is historically a conflict between Sikhs and Muslims.

So true. I onced trained with a Sikh unit. Some of the most efficient, blood-thirsty warriors, yes real warriors, I have ever met. And I found their honor code to be above reproach. I will always admire them greatly. And, yes, let's just say their admiration for the typcial Muslim was somewhere between pond scum and beetle dung.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 09:44:19 AM »
And, yes, let's just say their admiration for the typcial Muslim was somewhere between pond scum and beetle dung.

And vice versa without a doubt.

There is a sad humor in that Sikhs have been targeted in racist attacks in the U.S. because they were thought to be Muslim. Big "duh" on that one.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:41 AM »
So true. I onced trained with a Sikh unit. Some of the most efficient, blood-thirsty warriors, yes real warriors, I have ever met. And I found their honor code to be above reproach. I will always admire them greatly. And, yes, let's just say their admiration for the typcial Muslim was somewhere between pond scum and beetle dung.

=================================================================
What religious wars have the Sikhs begun with the Muslims?

In any case, the Big Three Sandpeople religions have the record for provoking conflicts because of their pompous belief that God favpors them over all others.

You may scratch the Sikhs (if you wish) from the list, then. Replace them with the Bahai's.

The point is that Richiepoo's historical musings are considerable less than accurate.

Bin Laden's 9-11 attacks, I suggest, were hardly an attempt at evangelism or prosetilization.

It was a gross error to order US troops into Saudi Arabia, and a far grosser one to allow them to bring Bibles in Arabic with them.

The Khobar Towers bombings were the first warning of this stupidity, 9-11 was the result of continuing to provoke fanatics in their own country.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:59:42 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »

In any case, the Big Three Sandpeople religions have the record for provoking conflicts because of their pompous belief that God favpors them over all others.

Youy may scratch the Sikhs (if you wish) from the list, then. Replace them with the Bahai's.

These "Sandpeople"? Does this include the sandpeople from Star Wars and those of Dune as well?

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 10:01:44 AM »

Not wars. Conflicts. Most notably, in India.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 10:07:39 AM »
These "Sandpeople"? Does this include the sandpeople from Star Wars and those of Dune as well?

What was their religion?

They had little red eyes that g;lowed in the dark , like LED's. I believe that they were robotic in origin and therefore were not religiously inclined.

I feel we could forgive the future Lord Vader for anhilating the little creeps because they killed his momma.

Of course, the moral to this was that violence begets violence, isn't it? It was one of the events that caused little Annie to join the Dark Side.

In the real world, we could consider Judaism, Christianity and Islam to be the "Dark Side".

Paul is a lot more responsible for this than Jesus.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »
Interesting. Why Paul? Because he preached to the non-Jews? the heathen?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 10:24:47 AM »
Interesting. Why Paul? Because he preached to the non-Jews? the heathen?

==================================================
Not because he preached, but because he stressed that his views were the only ones possible. Paul was a fanatic. His fanaticism was contagious. It continues to be thus to this day. Read what he wrote.

He stirred up a hornet's nest among the people of the Empire.

Most of the ancient writings of the Greeks were destroyed by intolerant Christians, whose intolerance stems from Paul's writings.

The Christians destroyed the great Library of Alexandria and kiilled its head librarian, Hypatia. Only because other librarians took scrolls and books home to hide were any of the works of Aristotle and Plato preserved. These clowns were convinced that End of the World was a-coming and any beliefs other than their own should be destroyed.

Observe how the End of the World has not come, and how Jesus has not returned as promised.

I tend to believe that the entire Book of Revelation is quite likely to be a pile of crap. Paul and his followers, on the other hand, believed that is was God's Truth.

I am unwilling to kill anyone based on my beliefs, but there are many Christians who do not exhibit such tolerance.

Mr_Perceptive

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 10:29:34 AM »
so, if I understand this right, you blame the created not the Creator? Aren't we all in a state of striving for perfection and not yet there? Many times in my career my units had the highest ratings yet there was always room for improvement, always a desire to strive for not only excellence by perfection. Perhaps Christians are doing this, too, sometimes failing and sometimes succeeding.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:03:52 AM by Mr_Perceptive »