Author Topic: Political ads: Michael J. Fox  (Read 6877 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

Re: Political ads: Michael J. Fox
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 12:32:43 AM »
Interesting, Lanya.

It is unfortunate that Micahel J. Fox is not doing so well (he moves back and forth quite alot in the ad).

I am not a scientift in the stem cell arena, but hasn't there been a lot of movement in this arena so you can use adult stem cells now and so mostly avoid the issue of fetal stem cells? If os, let's go full speed ahead!

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 01:21:26 PM »
Use both.  Lives depend on it. Many embryos are thrown away, not used to help anyone.   
Of course, I know there are people who believe that no organ donation is scripturally approved.  Them bones have to all rise up at the same locale I guess, in order to go to Heaven? I'm not sure of the rationale.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »
I have never been sure of the rationale either. If God is a miraculous God, then bones or dust,,,doesn't matter, right?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:14:56 PM by The_Professor »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 09:00:13 PM »
The easiest way to ensure your attempts at persuasion fail is to insult the very people you are trying to persuade.

Billmon alluded to this in a different thread, yet the universality of his dilemna applies to so much more than just Iraq.

Seems to me the better strategy is to find out what the opposition can live with instead of mocking what you percieve they can't live without.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »
Many embryos are thrown away, not used to help anyone.   

Why should they be created and thrown away?

Why should they be created and considered spare parts?

This is a bad thing either way.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006, 12:05:54 AM »
The easiest way to ensure your attempts at persuasion fail is to insult the very people you are trying to persuade.

Billmon alluded to this in a different thread, yet the universality of his dilemna applies to so much more than just Iraq.

Seems to me the better strategy is to find out what the opposition can live with instead of mocking what you percieve they can't live without.

I did not intend to mock that belief.  It's a deadly serious belief; I remember in childhood there were bones found when tearing up the floor of the Catholic church and families were gathering the bones in shoe boxes, trying like crazy  to keep them all together (it's where their great-greats had been buried, if I remember right). Very worried and upset families.
 I was told by Catholic friends that if you didn't have all your body, you would not rise when God called you.   And I wondered what happened to people who got burned, eaten by wild animals, etc.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006, 12:40:00 AM »
Very worried and upset families.  I was told by Catholic friends that if you didn't have all your body, you would not rise when God called you.

Been quite a while since i was a practicing Catholic , but i don't seem to recall there being a whole lot of emphasis on the second coming and the rejoining of souls and bodies. Perhaps someone more current on practices of the Catholic Church can correct me, if needed.

Be that as it may , it seems to me an atheist or even an agnostic might get just as upset over grave desecration and other disturbances of resting places. I know Native Americans are vocal when their burial mounds are encroached by suburban development.

Perhaps it's a respect thing.

And perhaps respect for traditions other than your own is a concept from a bygone era.

syrmark59

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 11:56:25 AM »
Lanya is in fact correct. Up until relatively recently, it was Catholic dogma that the physical presence was something that carried over into heaven. This is why, for example, cremation was frowned upon.

I will say that these rules have been relaxed somewhat- a cremation urn now can be interned at a Catholic cemetary.

The_Professor

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »
What is the Scriptural rationale for this "dogma"?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 04:08:13 PM »
BT,
I have already said I did not intend to mock that belief. 
My use of the "Them bones" refrain is because I like that spiritual.  And Stray Pooch was supposed to get back to me with the words, which I've forgotten since church camp 43 years ago....

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 12:55:20 AM »
My use of the "Them bones" refrain is because I like that spiritual.  And Stray Pooch was supposed to get back to me with the words, which I've forgotten since church camp 43 years ago....

The new paradigm says it matters not the intent of the speaker it matters more the affect on the listener.

Do you agree with this paradigm?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 08:15:07 AM »
The new paradigm?  Was this put up for a vote and I missed it?

I'll go with Disagree. Perhaps some people are more sensitive than others.  Is that my responsibility?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 11:24:41 AM »
I'll go with Disagree. Perhaps some people are more sensitive than others.  Is that my responsibility?

Ronald Reagan is thought to have opened his campaign in Philadelphia, MS. He talks of devolving central government.
Because of the locale and the topic he is accused of being a racist and in fact the entire GOP party is labelled the same.

Were people too sensitive?

Steny Hoyer calls a black man "Slavish". Should he apologize?

Another used the term niggardly in the company of African Americans. Were they too sensitive?

Robert Byrd describes a group of urban hip hop wannabees as white niggers. Was the offense taken, out of line?

You say Barak is not ready for prime time. You fear he may be republican or repub-lite. Should he be offended?Should Repubs or repub leaning folks be offended? or should everyone just get over it.

And what will that do for the sensitivity training industry?

What next, no grief counselling?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 11:59:15 AM by BT »

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked: