Author Topic: Calls in Sudan for Execution of Briton  (Read 3689 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Calls in Sudan for Execution of Briton
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 02:08:00 AM »
<<Not sure how this instance is much different than salman rushdie or the muhammad cartoon. >>

Rushdie obviously knew what he was saying and didn't give a shit whether or not it insulted the religion or some Muslims thought it did, and the Mohammed cartoon obviously was offensive and probably delliberately so.  Gillian Gibson didn't seem to have any intention of insulting anyone and apparently didn't even name the bear herself but went along with the class without realizing the implications.

The Sudanese court didn't exactly do the right thing, but they didn't go overboard either.  The crowd (a) was not government-approved and (b) didn't represent more than a fringe element in the population.  I come to the latter conclusion merely by the relatively small size and short duration of the protest.  "Thousands" of protestors is a pretty small affair.  A popular outrage could have put "hundreds of thousands" into the streets.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 02:21:54 AM »
actually this would make islam a more unique religion
meaning it`s immune to public critique
since nobody is allowed to say anything bad about it
and when I say nobody,I mean everybody in this planet
here in the united states no one is allowed to publicly do anything bad about islam.
thiers alot of racist stupid people in the U.S.
notice none harning the kuran.
southpark did one on mohammed and it`ll never be aired
the creators said they understand not wanting to get bombed
if you think about it ,ther taliban kinda won.
since globally people are not allowed to make fun of this one singular religion.
we can say here it`s not a fun religion but if we did anything public about it`s icon
we are takeing our life in our hands
the religion of peace tag is getting to be a harder sell
I might be peeing the 3rd rail for that one.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »
<<actually this would make islam a more unique religion
meaning it`s immune to public critique
since nobody is allowed to say anything bad about it
and when I say nobody,I mean everybody in this planet>>

All religions go through various stages of development.  Islam is a relatively young religion - - it's prophet was born in the 6th century A.D.which was about 15 centuries back.  When Christianity was about the same age as that (say the 15th century AD) it was pretty much immune to public critique as well.  If you said anything bad about it, or even if you belonged to a prohibited sect of it, the consequences could be pretty gruesome.  You could face all the tortures of the Spanish Inquisition and even in England or Scotland you could be burned at the stake.

Religion is pretty much a senseless and illogical belief system and the easiest way to keep the schmucks in line is with brute force and instilling the fear of God into them by horrible public tortures and executions.  Otherwise most sane and normal people would just say, "This is fucking bullshit" and walk out on the whole thing.  Over time, the rulers of states realize they need scientists and logic more than they need priests, because science and logic will always find the friendliest environment, and if that happens to be in another country, you can bet that that country will have superior weapons and tactics before too long.  So the rulers need to sacrifice some of the priestly freedoms to attract science and logic and of course this has led to a great weakening of religious power.  They now can't enforce a state religion or torture and murder non-believers.  What happened to Christianity will over time happen to Islam too.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
uhm
wasn`t islam like that 30 years ago?
jordan had nude beaches then,I think
the middle east in the recent past was quite different than today.
a downward spiral that hasn`t really stop yet.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 12:01:01 AM »
<<wasn`t islam like that 30 years ago?
the middle east in the recent past was quite different than today.
a downward spiral that hasn`t really stop yet.>>

News to me that ANY Muslim country EVER had nude beaches.  Lebanon maybe, but Lebanon's a Christian and Muslim country.

In any event, I was talking about the religion itself, not the countries where the practitioners of the religion are a majority.  They're like any other countries, in that a conflict exists between religious and secular trends in the society, and it's a constant state of flux.  Sometimes the religious get the upper hand and sometimes they lose it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 11:27:24 AM »
She has been pardoned by the Sudanese President

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 12:06:36 PM »
Ponders whether the paperwork will be completed before what is left of her 15 day sentence is served.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 12:55:58 PM »
Ponders what the U.S. would be like if the same parents who were "offended" in sudan were similar to those offended when the mere reference of Christmas is made by a teacher during the "holiday season", or even worse, speaking about the birth of that false god, Christ.  40 lashes as well
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »
thanks rich
just more sicko from the religion of peace

Latest Offerings from the Religion of Peace

12/3/2007 (Qila Saifullah, Pakistan) - The Taliban is suspected in the bombing of a school that leaves six teenaged boys dead.
12/2/2007 (Charsadda, Pakistan) - Religious extremists open fire on a cockfight, killing three civilians.
12/2/2007 (Sopore, India) - Muslim militants abduct a 22-year-old seminary student and slit his throat.
12/2/2007 (Narathiwat, Thailand) - Two civilians are shot to death in their pickup truck by Muslim radicals.
12/2/2007 (Baqubah, Iraq) - A suicide bomber blows apart four Iraqis.
12/2/2007 (Medina, Somalia) - Islamists kill two civilians with a roadside bomb.

Behold the Peace of Islam: Picture of the Week

Can you guess why teddy bears and cartoons bother Muslims more
than the act of killing in the name of Islam?  (Hint: it's the religion).

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Knutey

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 02:09:46 PM »
Ponders what the U.S. would be like if the same parents who were "offended" in sudan were similar to those offended when the mere reference of Christmas is made by a teacher during the "holiday season", or even worse, speaking about the birth of that false god, Christ.  40 lashes as well

In this country i doubt seriously that there is jail time attached to a nativity scene. Nor is there jail time for a Christ in urine exhibit.

But at the same time whilst looking down our noses at the sudanese we might want to reconsider why there is jail time for selling battery powered dildoes in Alabama and years attached to being caught with a bag of pot in Texas.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Apparently knute has a need to worry about Tee.  One ponders why    ;D

In this country i doubt seriously that there is jail time attached to a nativity scene. Nor is there jail time for a Christ in urine exhibit.

Yet, it was parents who apparently were "offended" that initiated this Sudanese bru-ha-ha.  I was simply pondering that if the same parents who are offended at the mere mention of Chritianity in the school system in this country, would advocate lashes & jail time to those teachers who dared to offend them

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 03:23:16 PM »

================================
Jordan would have a problem with a nude beach, I think. I am wondering where one might put a nude beach in Jordan. I don't think any part of Jordan has a beach. Jordan is pretty short on water.

Maybe on the Dead Sea? Does Jordan touch the Gulf of Aqaba?

Lebanon and Bahrein are the most open Arab countries. I don't think even Turkey has any nude beaches.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 06:03:46 PM »
<<Ponders what the U.S. would be like if the same parents who were "offended" in sudan were similar to those offended when the mere reference of Christmas is made by a teacher during the "holiday season", or even worse, speaking about the birth of that false god, Christ.  40 lashes as well>>

That's funny, I was just pondering what the U.S. would be like if the "conservative Christians" and their supporters in Congress were like those offended Sudanese parents.  A Protection of Religious Freedom Act providing a death penalty for the practice of any non-Christian religion (40 lashes and ten years for Mormon first offenders?)  A Truth in Science Act, with twenty-five years in an Alaskan "re-education camp" for first-offence teachers of evolution?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 07:03:09 PM »
<<Ponders what the U.S. would be like if the same parents who were "offended" in sudan were similar to those offended when the mere reference of Christmas is made by a teacher during the "holiday season", or even worse, speaking about the birth of that false god, Christ.  40 lashes as well>>

That's funny, I was just pondering what the U.S. would be like if the "conservative Christians" and their supporters in Congress were like those offended Sudanese parents.  A Protection of Religious Freedom Act providing a death penalty for the practice of any non-Christian religion (40 lashes and ten years for Mormon first offenders?)  A Truth in Science Act, with twenty-five years in an Alaskan "re-education camp" for first-offence teachers of evolution?

Even when Scopes lost his court case , he did no jail time.
The excitement was high but the stakes were low , still are.