Author Topic: "The Suddenly Incurious Citizen Journalists"  (Read 2274 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"The Suddenly Incurious Citizen Journalists"
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »
The Suddenly Incurious Citizen Journalists
By: John Cole   December 1, 2007 at 10:12 am

If ever you were under the illusion that Greater Wingnuttia was anything other than a bunch of partisan goobers wholly uninterested in the truth and wedded only to the needs of the Republican party, surely the last week has shed you of that illusion. As I write this, only one fringe nutter has even mentioned the emerging Rudy Giuliani financial scandal. None of them has mentioned the fabulist at NRO. How can this be? Where are our brave truth detectors?

Let?s compare:
? When a 12 year old kid had the nerve to state that he benefited from a government program and thinks other kids should too, a massive orgy of ?Truth detecting? took place. Counters were examined. Houses were visited. Property records were scrutinized. Statements were parsed.

? When a private in the army wrote some tales with a few anecdotes about what he had experienced in the war in Iraq, and a few disagreed, no grain of sand was left unturned. Scale models of armored vehicles were built. Experts were called, emailed, and interrogated. Myspace accounts were looked up. Entire fields of Cray Supercomputers had to be brought online just to handle all the ?debunking? and commentary from the wingnuts.

But now, a Republican front-runner FOR THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT has clearly played fast and loose with the public?s money to hide/finance his extramarital dalliances, and the truth detectors on the right are silent. When an NRO columnist admits straight-up to making shit up to radically overstate a military threat to a key ally, perhaps to agitate for American military involvement, our fact-checkers snooze. The sum total of the response can be summed up as a giant yawn.

Crickets. Not even a ?heh, indeed? can be found on these topics from our brave and intrepid citizen journalists. Hell, they are lagging FAR behind all the traditional media, who are cranking out tons of stories about Giuliani. Greater Wingnuttia should change their motto from ?We?ll fact check your ass? to ?We?ll fact check your ass, if you aren?t a Republican.? At least that would be honest.

*** Update ***

The Captain weighs in, only to downplay and all but dismiss the charges and then brushes off the brewing scandal as ?marital woes?:

While I believe this to be a minor issue for Giuliani in terms of ethics?it tells us nothing new about his relationship with Judith Nathan before their marriage that didn?t already make contemporaneous headlines?the Giuliani team has not handled it very well. They should acknowledge that they made mistakes in handling the billings in 2000 and 2001 and apologize for the errors. The longer they issue threadbare rationalizations, the longer this will stick to the campaign.

Allegedly misusing public funds to drive around your girlfriend and engage in all sort of accounting shell games to hide your behavior is, according to the Good Captain, no big deal. Can anyone imagine the stories if this was, say, Hillary Clinton instead of Giuliani? By now, they would be investigating all state and local laws to see if they could indict her for adultery. All together now- IOKIYAR.

After reading Captain Ed it is pretty obvious how the right wing blogosphere will handle the Giuliani business, as it will be Plame redux. The same group of folks who were able to scour fonts in the Dan Rather case, make the most intricate arguments about bullet casings in Baghdad with Beauchamp, examine every aspect of health insurance policies in Maryland for the Frost family, will all of a sudden become ?confused? by all the accounting numbers. The virtual certainty about all things divined from anonymous Free Republic investigators will be replaced with assertions of ?confusion? and ?trickiness? and complaints about ?complicated accounting.? It will be ?difficult? to come to a conclusion whether he has done anything wrong, and it will not be ?clear? if he violated any laws. Just take the phrase ?Was she really covert? and replace it with ?Did he really do anything wrong? and you have your blogospheric talking points from Greater Wingnuttia for the next two weeks.

The same folks who got degrees and a Nobel Peace Prize in neurosurgery during the Schiavo affair will, by the end of the week, be forced to pretend they can?t balance a checkbook. It should be pretty funny to watch. That is if they don?t just manage to ignore it altogether.

Filed under: Blogospheric Navel-Gazing, I Read These Morons So You Don't Have To

http://www.balloon-juice.com/?p=9219
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: "The Suddenly Incurious Citizen Journalists"
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 01:09:32 AM »
I am not convinced that the far right has accepted Guliani.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
<<I am not convinced that the far right has accepted Guliani.>>

You think Pat Robertson had his fingers crossed behind his back when he endorsed?

Richpo64

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »
>>But now, a Republican front-runner FOR THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT has clearly played fast and loose with the public?s money to hide/finance his extramarital dalliances<<

Not that I care all that much about Rudy, but this statement is an absolute liie. But then you expect this sort of thing from the BDS left.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
<I am not convinced that the far right has accepted Guliani.>>

You think Pat Robertson had his fingers crossed behind his back when he endorsed?
=======================================================
Although Pat Robertson is a far right winger, his endorsement does not mean that every other far right winger agrees with him, and as a result, will turn out on election day like mindless 'droids to vote for Giulani.'
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:42:54 PM »
<<I am not convinced that the far right has accepted Guliani.>>

Robertsons endorsement helps .

But no one decides his vote solely on such an endorsement.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 11:55:35 PM »
If anyone personifies the right-wing nutter, it's Robertson.  It's hard to reconcile the claim that the far right may not have accepted Giuliani with Robertson's endorsement, although it's true that Robertson doesn't (and can't) speak for ALL the wing-nuts out there.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 12:02:58 AM »
If anyone personifies the right-wing nutter, it's Robertson.  It's hard to reconcile the claim that the far right may not have accepted Giuliani with Robertson's endorsement, although it's true that Robertson doesn't (and can't) speak for ALL the wing-nuts out there.

Right , such an endorsement needs to come with an explanation so that there is a reson for the endorsement tha isn't hard to understand.

If Robertson is baseing his endorsement solely on "electability" I shall be dissapointed more in Robertson than in Giuliani.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »
I find the idea that somebody could be "disappointed" in Robertson to be hilarious.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 12:26:17 AM »
I find the idea that somebody could be "disappointed" in Robertson to be hilarious.

I do too.
See this article about his dealings with Charles Taylor's Liberia, with Zaire (blood diamonds) and so on.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A42413-2001Nov30
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 12:46:31 AM »
I do too.
See this article about his dealings with Charles Taylor's Liberia, with Zaire (blood diamonds) and so on.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A42413-2001Nov30

Seems to me that would be planty of reason to be disappointed in him.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 01:25:44 AM »
But that article is from 2001, BT.   It's old news. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 01:52:23 AM »
And i'm sure it disappointed people back then. Even Republicans.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 01:56:52 AM »
WASTELAND OF THE FREE (Iris DeMent)
(c) 1996 Songs of Iris ASCAP

Living in the wasteland of the free...

We got preachers dealing in politics and diamond mines
and their speech is growing increasingly unkind
They say they are Christ's disciples
but they don't look like Jesus to me
and it feels like I am living in the wasteland of the free

We got politicians running races on corporate cash
Now don't tell me they don't turn around and kiss them peoples' ass
You may call me old-fashioned
but that don't fit my picture of a true democracy

We got CEO's making two hundred times the workers' pay
but they'll fight like hell against raising the minimum wage
and If you don't like it, mister, they'll ship your job
to some third-world country 'cross the sea

Living in the wasteland of the free
where the poor have now become the enemy
Let's blame our troubles on the weak ones
Sounds like some kind of Hitler remedy

We got little kids with guns fighting inner city wars
So what do we do, we put these little kids behind prison doors
and we call ourselves the advanced civilization
that sounds like crap to me

We got high-school kids running 'round in Calvin Klein and Guess
who cannot pass a sixth-grade reading test
but if you ask them, they can tell you
the name of every crotch on mTV

We kill for oil, then we throw a party when we win
Some guy refuses to fight, and we call that the sin
but he's standing up for what he believes in
and that seems pretty damned American to me

where the poor have now become the enemy
Let's blame our troubles on the weak ones
Sounds like some kind of Hitler remedy

While we sit gloating in our greatness
justice is sinking to the bottom of the sea

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 01:59:29 AM »

Oh?

Did you think it impossible?