Author Topic: Why so scared of Christmas?  (Read 77099 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why so scared of Christmas?
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2007, 09:11:59 PM »
We had a problem here a year or so ago where the crime rate, particularly violent crimes, was going up. A group of churches wanted to hold a day of prayer.

Praying to end crime is like smoking to end lung cancer.

They should be holding a Day of Education.  A Day of Reading and Writing.  A Day of Arithmetic.  A Day of Parenting Counseling.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2007, 09:22:48 PM »
They should be holding a Day of Education.  A Day of Reading and Writing.  A Day of Arithmetic.  A Day of Parenting Counseling.

Pretty sure that goes on 9 months out of the year. It's called school.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2007, 09:46:40 PM »

Pretty sure that goes on 9 months out of the year. It's called school.

Then it would be 9 months and a day. And it would be a much better use of the time, now wouldn't it?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2007, 10:30:46 PM »
What people do with their free time is up to them.

If they want to participate in a day of prayer so be it.

You ever wonder why the Governor of Georgia is mocked for praying for rain yet when Native Americans do a rain dance they are celebrated for their culture.

What's the difference? What's the harm?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2007, 10:39:40 PM »
<<You ever wonder why the Governor of Georgia is mocked for praying for rain yet when Native Americans do a rain dance they are celebrated for their culture.>>

No, actually, I don't.  It's pretty clear to me that the Indians are performing a dance that is beautiful in its own right.  That it originated in the distant past as a prayer for rain does not mean that its participants today have any intention of making rain when they dance.  It's just a dance.  Whereas when the Governor prays for rain, he's making a fool of himself by (unlike the Indian dancers) actually trying to get it to rain and using a ludicrous method to do so.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2007, 10:43:36 PM »
So you aren't a proponent of positive thinking, i take it.

I also noticed you dodged the what's the harm question.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2008, 12:40:30 AM »
It harms nothing if the Governor of GA prays for rain.

It may be silly, but the majority of the voters won't think so, ands if it rains, they will be saying 'see? see? The power of Prayer!'

I don't mind the Indians dancing, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2008, 12:51:43 AM »
We have had rain 10 out the last 12 days. Go figure.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2008, 03:07:58 AM »
No Brass, it has nothing to do with hate, it has everything to do with Freedom.

Exactly.  That's why NO ONE is "afraid of Christmas".  No one is stopping you from saying "Merry Christmas" and, in fact, I said it many times over the holiday.

Sorry Brass, that's not flying.  What "galls me" is that the ACLU and like minds continue to press for the near, if not complete, abolishment of Christmas, and anything else remotely connected to Christianity from the public sector.  That flies directly counter to the 1st amendment, where Government is NOT to infringe upon another's religion.  So yes, they are absolutely afraid, which again goes to the core reason, control.  So much easier to control the masses if you can get everyone to think the same way, act the same way, no one is offended by what anyone else does, and Government will be your guide

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2008, 10:03:40 AM »
What's the difference? What's the harm?

Is the governor of Georgia on state time or his own free time?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2008, 10:30:39 AM »
Sorry Brass, that's not flying.  What "galls me" is that the ACLU and like minds continue to press for the near, if not complete, abolishment of Christmas, and anything else remotely connected to Christianity from the public sector.  That flies directly counter to the 1st amendment, where Government is NOT to infringe upon another's religion.  So yes, they are absolutely afraid, which again goes to the core reason, control.  So much easier to control the masses if you can get everyone to think the same way, act the same way, no one is offended by what anyone else does, and Government will be your guide

=============================================================
The ACLU is not in favor of control by anyone.

As I said, most chapters consist of lawyers, and as a group they are very, very competitive, and in most cities, disproportionately Jewish. They compete with one another for attention, and the chapters also compete, and they all want local issues. One of the favorite of these involves the imposition of Christian symbols, rituals and the3 like on the society as a whole, because as I said, these guys are mostly Jewish and not generally religious if they are not.

I don't care about Christmas displays, carols, and such, and the governor can pray for rain or an abundant citrus harvest or a real estate boom all he or she wishes. This is a non-issue that threatens no one. There are hundreds of things more important than this "War against Christmas" thing.

It is a bogus issue. Put a tree or a manger in your yard, turn up the Bing Crosby, relax and enjoy. Or don't.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
The Governor doesn't punch a time clock.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »

=============================================================
The ACLU is not in favor of control by anyone.

Yea, right.  When you can and can't pray....how you can and can't decorate your own work cubicle.  Yea, no attempt to control there     ::)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: January 01, 2008, 12:58:51 PM »
You can pray silently anywhere, anytime you choose.

How many people have been arrested for decorating their cubicles again?
I suppose you might be reprimanded for decorating a cubicle with photos of Hitler and swastikas, or perhaps satanic images.
But Santa or Jesus?
I would say zero, none, bupkiss.

Even if they did tell you not to do it, why do you require religious stuff 24-7. Surely God knows you care. Idolators are few and far between these days.

This is a bogus issue.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2008, 01:29:34 PM »
You can pray silently anywhere, anytime you choose.

NOT in many work cubicles, and sure as hell not in too many places on a public school ground.

How many people have been arrested for decorating their cubicles again?

We're not talking about arrests.  Never have been.  Been talking about litigation ($$$), being imposed or threatened, if companies or schools didn't take a greater effort in curbing such decorative displays.  Of course, you knew that.

This is a bogus issue.

Absolutely.  You have to wonder why so many are so scared of people daring to pray and decorate as they wish.  It's a bogus issue that such displays are threatening to those folks, and they sure don't "establish" anything other than someone getting their innards all a flitter with being offended