Author Topic: Teach the orthodox ,orthodoxy  (Read 5329 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Teach the orthodox ,orthodoxy
« on: January 04, 2008, 05:06:10 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080104/ap_on_go_ot/teaching_evolution;_ylt=AuSika7YDK8O4RtTiDhADI5xieAA

Where in our constitution is Science made sacred?

To teach an orthodox point of view to the unwilling should be deemed unconstitutional.

It is farcical to call education in Evolution "necessary" it is necessary for a job in paleontology ,nowhere else.

The Government should avoid making religious decisions for people , even if based on science.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Teach the orthodox ,orthodoxy
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
<<Where in our constitution is Science made sacred?>>

There is nothing sacred about science.  It is not made sacred in the Constitution.  Nobody has ever made the claim that science is sacred, so the point of your question is lost upon me.

<<To teach an orthodox point of view to the unwilling should be deemed unconstitutional.>>

Who are the "unwilling?"  Is somebody rounding up students at gun-point and forcing them into science classes?  Near as I can tell, anybody who is a student in a science class is there because they want to learn about science.  Evolution is a scientific theory.  So it is taught in a science class.  Creation science, intelligent design, or whatever new name its proponents want to give it is not a scientific theory.  So it does not belong in a science class. 

<<It is farcical to call education in Evolution "necessary" it is necessary for a job in paleontology ,nowhere else.>>

It is necessary in medicine, zoology, developmental anatomy, microbiology, ecology and probably a ton of other subjects.  As abstract knowledge helping to broaden our understanding of natural phenomena, it is a key concept.  A scientist who did not understand the theory of evolution would be a laughingstock to other scientists, whether or not it had any practical application in his or her field.  Since knowledge is always expanding and in unforeseeable ways, through unforeseeable means, it would be crazy for any scientific worker NOT to understand thoroughly the workings of the theory, and have it as part of his or her mental landscape or mental toolbox  as he or she works on the scientific problems of the day.  Science does not grow through willful ignorance.

<<The Government should avoid making religious decisions for people , even if based on science.>>

The government allows for and encourages the opening of educational institutions for the study of all of the arts and sciences known to mankind.  What it does not allow for and encourage is for ignorant religious fanatics to invade the science classes of the nation and force their ignorant, bigoted and, frankly, moronic views of the world on those who have studied and are teaching in the sciences.  Scientists are free to teach science as they conceive science to be, and non-scientists are not free to tell the scientists what to teach as science.  Nobody is forcing these morons to study science, and it will actually be better for scientific education  if they don't.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
It is farcical to call education in Evolution "necessary" it is necessary for a job in paleontology ,nowhere else.

Wow. Just....wow.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »
Exactly.  Ignorance on this level is more than just ignorance.  It is pathological.

But get ready for it, JS.  America is falling into the hands of people just like this.  And worse.  When a country falls from grace, it falls from grace.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
To teach an orthodox point of view to the unwilling should be deemed unconstitutional.

Then you should be more than willing to take religion out of the public schools, yes?

Remember that when you get your next flu shot. Or have to get an antibiotic you have never had before because the bug it is supposed to treat has mutated and become resistant to what you had before.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 06:50:29 PM »
Evolution is neither orthodoxy nor unorthodoxy., it is science.It is neither a religion nor a substitute for any religion. It as close to the truth in the question "where do we come from" that science can discover. There is far, far FAR more proof for evolution than there ever will be for the Book of Genesis.

You have a right to remain ignorant, but you must allow your children to think for themselves
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:54:45 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 07:42:17 PM »

You have a right to remain ignorant, but you must allow your children to think for themselves

So the government alone has the right to tell children what and how to think?

And the government alone has the right to determine what the truth is?

As long as there is one student in a classwhose family is religiously offended by evoluton , it should not be taught , there is no governmental inerest or right to countermand the religious teaching of a parent.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »

In the case of evolution, government has nothing to do with it. Science is science, and evolution is good science.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »
<<Where in our constitution is Science made sacred?>>

There is nothing sacred about science.  It is not made sacred in the Constitution.  Nobody has ever made the claim that science is sacred, so the point of your question is lost upon me.
The government is proibited from establishing a religion , it is also prohibited from disestablishing one.

<<To teach an orthodox point of view to the unwilling should be deemed unconstitutional.>>

Who are the "unwilling?"  Is somebody rounding up students at gunpoint and forcing them into science classes? 
Yes they do
Near as I can tell, anybody who is a student in a science class is there because they want to learn about science.  Evolution is a scientific theory.  So it is taught in a science class.  Creation science, intelligent design, or whatever new name its proponents want to give it is not a scientific theory. 
Whether it is science or not should not determine whether it s taught in public school or not note that we have already agreed that science holds no special position constitionally .
So it does not belong in a science class. 
So this is a case of nothing being better than not enough?

<<It is farcical to call education in Evolution "necessary" it is necessary for a job in paleontology ,nowhere else.>>

It is necessary in medicine, zoology, developmental anatomy, microbiology, ecology and probably a ton of other subjects.  As abstract knowledge helping to broaden our understanding of natural phenomena, it is a key concept.  A scientist who did not understand the theory of evolution would be a laughingstock to other scientists, whether or not it had any practical application in his or her field.  Since knowledge is always expanding and in unforeseeable ways, through unforeseeable means, it would be crazy for any scientific worker NOT to understand thoroughly the workings of the theory, and have it as part of his or her mental landscape or mental toolbox as he or she works on the scientific problems of the day. 

By the time someone becomes a professional scientist , on would have had time to attend many colledge level courses , discuss the question with peersand instrutors , and conclude what the truth was for himself. This is true for all of the fields you mention here and any other that might tangentially need an Evolutionary understanding.So what makes it needfull top force this "truth" down the throats of the defenseless young and overrule their unwilling parents?
Science does not grow through willful ignorance.
Were is it written that science must grow? Not in our constitution.

<<The Government should avoid making religious decisions for people , even if based on science.>>

The government allows for and encourages the opening of educational institutions for the study of all of the arts and sciences known to mankind. 
OK at the colledge level , where all of the students are volunteers.

What it does not allow for and encourage is for ignorant religious fanatics to invade the science classes of the nation and force their ignorant, bigoted and, frankly, moronic views of the world on those who have studied and are teaching in the sciences.  Scientists are free to teach science as they conceive science to be, and  are not free to tell the scientists what to teach as science.  Nobody is forcing these morons to study science, and it will actually be better for scientific education if they don't.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »

In the case of evolution, government has nothing to do with it. Science is science, and evolution is good science.

So it is , but if it offends a religious sensability then the Government must eschew establishing it.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 08:04:47 PM »
So it is , but if it offends a religious sensability then the Government must eschew establishing it.

Why? The government is not establishing religion, it is teaching science.

Goes back to the discussion about having a right to not be offended.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

yellow_crane

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 08:12:34 PM »

Evolution is critical in the study of diseases.

I cannot get over why these kind of points still have to be made.

One theory I read about stated that the pharmetceutical companies often enlist the evangelicals to keep up the pressure so that they have time to get their patents in line; pharmeceuticals are already have secured unbelievable rights in what is referred to as "intellectual property."

Locally, teachers are called into the office for even mentioning the word evolution, always after the kid goes home and clues in the abysmally over-zealous.

I know that Jesus often employed radical tactics to make his points, but I wonder what he would make of these deplorable harrassment tactics used by the reiligous right today.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 08:14:44 PM »

Why? The government is not establishing religion, it is teaching science.

Goes back to the discussion about having a right to not be offended.
It certainly does!

yellow_crane

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
Evolution is neither orthodoxy nor unorthodoxy., it is science.It is neither a religion nor a substitute for any religion. It as close to the truth in the question "where do we come from" that science can discover. There is far, far FAR more proof for evolution than there ever will be for the Book of Genesis.

If you, like most mammels, kuff your offspring to correct their often self-endangering behavior, you can go to jail, and even have your young taken away from you.

But if you keep them stone ignorant, nada.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 08:18:52 PM »

Evolution is critical in the study of diseases.

I cannot get over why these kind of points still have to be made.

One theory I read about stated that the pharmetceutical companies often enlist the evangelicals to keep up the pressure so that they have time to get their patents in line; pharmeceuticals are already have secured unbelievable rights in what is referred to as "intellectual property."

Locally, teachers are called into the office for even mentioning the word evolution, always after the kid goes home and clues in the abysmally over-zealous.

I know that Jesus often employed radical tactics to make his points, but I wonder what he would make of these deplorable harrassment tactics used by the reiligous right today.

I didn't tie yu p before you read this, neither did I threaten to lock you up if you didn't.

But Homeschooling is illeagal in some states and leagally difficult in others , and truancy laws are suffecient force t consider that the govrnment is determinein what the tuth is and forceing people to listen to the orthdox version at tender ages.