Author Topic: True intentions of Christ's teachings (Sirs)  (Read 24022 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: True intentions of Christ's teachings (Sirs)
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2008, 04:29:38 PM »
You were waiting for Js, to come up with that?  oooookay

Uh, no.

...considering I've apparently spent a hell of a lot longer studying the bible and Christ's teachings than yourself...

Context H...and in comparsion to who again....?  Definately not Js, so you're barking up the wrong tree.... again I'm afraid
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
Something we might be missing about the eating of grain/corn is that such was allowed by Jewish law (Deuteronomy 23:25). And basically the law did respect private property. "When you come into your neighbor's standing grain, you may pluck the heads with your hand, but you shall not use a sickle on your neighbor's standing grain." In other words, you can take a little to eat, but you don't get to steal from your neighbor's harvest.

Actually that was one of two possible explanations I was waiting for our self proclaimed Bible expert to come up with, though it is related to the other. That was from Leviticus 19:

9 And when ye reap the harvest of your land, thou shalt not wholly reap the corners of thy field, neither shalt thou gather the gleanings of thy harvest.
10 And thou shalt not glean thy vineyard, neither shalt thou gather every grape of thy vineyard; thou shalt leave them for the poor and stranger: I am the LORD your God.

This is an old Testiment way of seeing to it that there was something for the poor to eat.
They were the gleaners that made the harvest very effecient even though they were forbidden to carry a sack or use a syckle.

In the Book of Ruth the Poverty of Ruth is clear from her relyance on gleaning to make her living.

In more recent history I recall this issue comeing up in the harvest of pecans , where I grew up we had pecan trees which might produce a cupple hundred dollars worth of pecans some years and a cupple of thousand dollars worth other years just a dozen or so old trees . I never heard complaint when passerby would stop to snack on the ones that fell on the roadside , but every now and them someone who came with gunnysacks to fill had to be run off.

It becomes a matter of compareing the values of stingyness and generosity with common sense and a sense of purportion , no farmer would plant these trees in expectation of haveing no harvest himself , but what he can loose to bluejays and neighbors with little harm should not bother him.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
Well summized....as usual, Plane       8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2008, 09:24:54 PM »
Definately not Js, so you're barking up the wrong tree.... again I'm afraid

You brought JS up, not me. I didn't mention in relation to anybody. You jumped to that conclusion all on your own. As usual.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2008, 11:27:56 PM »
but what he can loose to bluejays

I don't think that there are bluejays in Israel.

Haven't you guys bludgeoned this rather silly topic to death?

Trying to stuff XXI century politics into I Century figures is like trying to dress the punier later model GI Joe in Barbie's clothing. Just silly.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2008, 12:39:43 AM »

You brought JS up, not me. I didn't mention in relation to anybody.

Well considering YOU were the one referencing someone specific, I could only guess Js, as he IS a substantive Bible expert.  If you had someone else in mind, then it's a mystery, since when taken in context, my quote demonstrates nothing of the sort

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:38 AM »

Well considering YOU were the one referencing someone specific, I could only guess Js, as he IS a substantive Bible expert.  If you had someone else in mind, then it's a mystery, since when taken in context, my quote demonstrates nothing of the sort

I have never claimed to be a Bible expert or a theologian. Thank you.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2008, 12:45:58 AM »

I have never claimed to be a Bible expert or a theologian. Thank you.

Did I ever say you had??    ::)    I said specificaly that you are a substantive Bible expert, especially compared to so many others here.  But hey, if you're too humble to accept such a compliment, so be it

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2008, 03:08:37 AM »
Apologies for my defensiveness. Thanks Sirs. I don't deserve it though. I love reading the New Testament just for pleasure, but my knowledge of the Old Testament is minimal. I really enjoy the different writing styles and historical scholarship that we now have which is applied to the texts (especially useful is the far superior understanding of Aramaic through Syriac that we have today).

Luke tends to be my favorite author.

I tend to find Numbers and Deuteronomy mind-numbingly painful  ;D
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2008, 12:03:04 AM »
but what he can loose to bluejays

I don't think that there are bluejays in Israel.

Haven't you guys bludgeoned this rather silly topic to death?

Trying to stuff XXI century politics into I Century figures is like trying to dress the punier later model GI Joe in Barbie's clothing. Just silly.

People are not more or less human now than then.

I brought up Pecans and Bluejays because I know them directly , but the grain and the ravens that Jesus would have known are simular enough in principal.