Author Topic: The Anti-Hillary Vote is the Big Story in N.H.  (Read 1119 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Anti-Hillary Vote is the Big Story in N.H.
« on: January 10, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
Excellent hufpo article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-loeb/media-misses-story-obedw_b_80930.html

The combined Edwards-Obama vote would crush Hillary.  The writer outlines some strategies positioning the Obama and Edwards campaigns to benefit the survivor of the two of them should one drop out.  There is little to separate Obama and Edwards, and much to separate both of them from Hillary.  As the writer points out, the Edwards campaign has a clear strategy of empasizing these lines, whereas Obama is less inclined to emphasize these things, possibly because he sees himself as knocking out Edwards and picking up his support anyway.

IMHO, insiders from both campaigns should be preparing now for the fallout from the folding of either one of them.  The key thing for both would be to wall off Hillary from profiting from the collapse of either.  I am certain that the Clinton campaign already is working actively with that contingency in mind, but I'm not so sure that the Edwards or the Obama campaign is that far-sighted.  Sure as hell hope that somebody is lighting the fire under their ass.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The Anti-Hillary Vote is the Big Story in N.H.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:32:32 PM »
I'm just hoping that she doesn't win in SC.

I would love for the convention to have to be brokered.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
There hasn't been a truely important party presidential nominateing convention since I was a child.

These thing are devolveing into mere ceemonys or pagents with declineing intrest from the public.

Would it really be a good thing to make the pick in comitties of deligates and floor votes?

What is the advantage?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »
What is the advantage?

==========================
The main advantage is entertainment.

The Republicans always want reward the guy they think is the most loyal to the party and their supporters. I would say that this time, that is McCain. Before the convention, they will pressure the rest of them to give in, just as they pressured Reagan to give to Ford in back in 1976. and pressured Ford to give in to Reagan in 1980. No way Dole was the choice of the people in 1992, because the man was pretty much hateful, but he was one loyal lapdog.

The Democrats will probably wait until the convention to see how the votes line up.

We have a two-party system: that means many more will be voting against someone for some non-issue than voting for what they really believe. Previous non-issues have been gay marriage and the ACLU, neither of which actually will change anyone's life significantly one way or the other.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »

I would like to see Obama take it all and no brokering necessary. It would be a real watershed event in recent U.S. politics.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 01:10:40 PM »

I would like to see Obama take it all and no brokering necessary. It would be a real watershed event in recent U.S. politics.

and maybe...JUST maybe we can start addressing his qualifications as a Liberal Democrat vs the depth of color in his skin
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 01:15:12 PM »
Good point, Sirs. All this talk about race and "degree of blackness" simply diverts from the real issues such as taxation, the Iraq war, social security and medicare and so on.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 02:12:08 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:33:02 PM »
All this tlak about race and "degree of blackness" simply diverts from the real issues such as taxation, the Iraq war, social security and medicare and so on.

Precisely.   So, which side keeps wanting to talk about if he is or isn't Black enough?   Oh yea, that'd be the left again
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 02:15:17 PM »
Both sides need ot get down to REAL issues like the Federal Budget deficit, imbaloance in teade, social secuirty and os on. All this race smoke screen is actually an excellent way to not do that and therefore have to make the really difficult decisions which politicians are notoroious for skirting, regardless of Party. Both Democrats and Republicans are guilty, for example, of not seriously addressing Social Security funding as well as Medicare and a number of other serious issues.
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D