Author Topic: Teen mothers "sluts"  (Read 25875 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Teen mothers "sluts"
« on: February 09, 2008, 02:16:59 AM »
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Lawmakers_uses_slut_to_refer_to_0208.html

GOP lawmaker apologizes for calling unwed teen parents 'sluts'
David Edwards and Muriel Kane
Published: Friday February 8, 2008

A Republican state representative in Colorado has apologized for calling unmarried teenage parents "sluts."

Larry Liston of Colorado Springs was talking at a GOP caucus meeting about teenagers who have babies and expect the government to support them.

"In my parents' day and age, they were sent away, they were shunned, they were called what they are," Liston told the caucus. "There was at least a sense of shame." He then used the word "slut," adding, "I don't mean just the women. I mean the men, too."

Rep. Stella Garza-Hicks, who was at the meeting, said she was "disturbed' and "offended" by Liston's use of the word. Other Republican women in the Colorado House of Representatives also called it inappropriate.

"A slut is a whore, that's the same word," one former unwed mother told a local news channel. "I'm a survivor, I made it. I raised my children, I was a good mother. ... He needs to talk to some young women, he needs to have some compassion."

"I regret using the word," Liston says now. "It was an inadvertent comment."

This video is CBS News 4 Denver, broadcast February 8, 2008.

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Lawmakers_uses_slut_to_refer_to_0208.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Teen mothers "sluts"
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:39 AM »
tsk tsk

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 11:31:57 AM »
Unfortunate, but it's in these "slips" that we can see Republicans for what they are - - greedy white men with significant compassion deficits.  But a great enthusiasm for Sunday afternoon football.  Do you really want to be led by people like this?  Who needs 'em?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 01:07:56 PM »
Unfortunate, but it's in these "slips" that we can see Republicans for what they are - - greedy white men with significant compassion deficits.  But a great enthusiasm for Sunday afternoon football.  Do you really want to be led by people like this?  Who needs 'em?

Sez MT as he generalizes about an entire group of people exactly the same way Liston did.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 03:21:46 PM »
It's not GOP. 
Attitudes like this towards women have been very deeply ingrained in us.

One good thing about living in Appalachia, I got to see families who did NOT shun and shame their daughters when they got pregnant outside of marriage.  It was very refreshing.  They still loved them, they didn't send them away. 

There is poverty but it isn't poverty of spirit. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 04:16:41 PM »
I was unaware of anyone ever calling men "sluts".
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
I was unaware of anyone ever calling men "sluts".

Believe me, it does happen.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:14:29 PM »
called slut toward a man so far is a very minor offense
sometime a complement
my ex called a guy on the real world a slut but in the same sentence said he`s hot.

not a very effective word on guys
I`m not even sure anydude will even get angry by it

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »
<<It's not GOP.
<<Attitudes like this towards women have been very deeply ingrained in us. >>

Sure, of course, but only one party panders to them.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »
<<It's not GOP.
<<Attitudes like this towards women have been very deeply ingrained in us. >>

Sure, of course, but only one party panders to them.

Rep. Stella Garza-Hicks, who was at the meeting, said she was "disturbed' and "offended" by Liston's use of the word. Other Republican women in the Colorado House of Representatives also called it inappropriate.

Do you mean that a Democrat could have gotten away with saying the same thing?

?Who is going to find out? These women are trash. Nobody?s going to believe them.? ?Hillary Clinton

You may have a point there ,the Democrats have done well before by showing litle respect to women .

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/hillaryclinton/a/hillaryquotes.htm
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:28:06 PM by Plane »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »
<<Do you mean that a Democrat could have gotten away with saying the same thing?>>

No, I mean the odds of a Republican saying that are a hundred times the odds of a Democrat saying it.  Why?  Because the Democrats care about these people, the Republicans don't.  The Republicans are more into public displays of their ignorant religious fanaticism and Victorian moral values, where "fallen women" are pariahs and responsible for their own predicament.

<<Quote
<<?Who is going to find out? These women are trash. Nobody?s going to believe them.? ?Hillary Clinton

<<You may have a point there ,the Democrats have done well before by showing litle respect to women.>>

IF she ever said that, it's easily excused as the ire of a deceived spouse.  What's Larry Liston's excuse?  How was this personal to him?  Why should the plight of unwed teenage mothers get under his skin the way her husband's paramours got under Hillary's?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:30:02 PM »
No, I mean the odds of a Republican saying that are a hundred times the odds of a Democrat saying it.  Why?  Because the Democrats care about these people, the Republicans don't.  The Republicans are more into public displays of their ignorant religious fanaticism and Victorian moral values, where "fallen women" are pariahs and responsible for their own predicament.

Hahahahahahaa

So Bill who felt so many women's pain ,is not a true Democrat?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 02:38:38 AM »
<<So Bill who felt so many women's pain ,is not a true Democrat?>>

Bill and these many women had mutually satisfactory sexual encounters which as far as I know were entirely painless for both parties.  In that regard, he's very different from Republicans who seem to find their sexual outlets in sexual harassment of women or consensual relations with male pages.  Yes, he's a true Democrat or at the very least, a true non-Republican.  The Anti-Republican, one might say.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 07:04:57 AM »
<<So Bill who felt so many women's pain ,is not a true Democrat?>>

Bill and these many women had mutually satisfactory sexual encounters which as far as I know were entirely painless for both parties.  In that regard, he's very different from Republicans who seem to find their sexual outlets in sexual harassment of women or consensual relations with male pages.  Yes, he's a true Democrat or at the very least, a true non-Republican.  The Anti-Republican, one might say.

And the women that sued him ? Are they the minority of the vast number of women Bill has ... felt ?

I guess their being unappreciative is good reason for calling them Bimbos and haveing  staff  deal with insureing the media knew that they were Bimbos.

A freudian slip might have reveiled something about the attitude of this Republican at the head of the thread , but for the Clintons disrespect for Women is institutional.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
I guess the larger question is whether unwed teenage motherhood is a good thing, for the mother and the offspring.