Author Topic: Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll  (Read 1156 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
Sun Feb 3, 7:22 PM ET

LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on reality, according to a poll out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think Winston Churchill was a myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was real.

The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th century English king Richard the Lionheart was a myth.

And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister Churchill was made up. The same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence Nightingale did not actually exist.

Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of Britain's most famous writers, is a work of fiction himself.

Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of Waterloo victor the Duke of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people thought to be myths.

Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's fictional detective Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same of W. E. Johns' fictional pilot and adventurer Biggles.

UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/britainpeoplehistoryoffbeat;_ylt=AvkWkgXHn3ARCXh7C_pIPo7tiBIF
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 03:03:56 PM »
Wow, the Elvis factor is even greater in Great Britain than in the U.S.A.       :o
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
this explains alot to me.
you see I actually get alot of fu manchu questions from british folks
I had to break it to them he ain`t real

Rich

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 03:52:52 PM »
huh?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.

============================================
One wonders where they found those 3000 people.

Still, there is a certain logic to this.

After all, there have been dozens of Sherlock Holmes films, and hardly any Churchill movies.
Holmes on TV is therefore more real than Churchill. He has more personality, and he appears far more often.

Neither the deceased Churchill or the fictional Holmes is a living person. Both are fictional to someone who has only seen them on TV.

This reminds me of actors who play sop opera villains getting insulted and cussed at in public by fans.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
I read a survey that claimed a wide majority of the English people believed in ghosts.  Since then, nothing they believe can really shock me, but I am kinda surprised about Churchill.  This is one time I just don't believe the survey.  I think it must have been faulty.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »
despite holmes is played by several actors
my fave is the late great basil rathbone

but nowadays I watch house to satisfy my need for holmes addiction
the character is based on holmes which in reality holmes was based on a real doctor.
and the actor is british
very good show