Author Topic: California judge says no to homeschooling  (Read 122295 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: California judge says no to homeschooling
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473389/

don`t forget ron clark

shame he had to give up teaching to develope & support his programs
but he doing serious good.
http://www.ronclark.info/About_Ron_Clark/

Cynthia

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:31 PM »
The tests are given in Feb!!!

Who sets the test date?

The State Dept.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2008, 11:33:44 PM »
The State Dept.

The state school superintendent?

So your beef is with them and not NCLB.

Is that an elected position or a Bill Richardson appointee?

Cynthia

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:15 AM »
"Those safeguards should extend into the government education system as well.  Whoever educates our children should be accountable foremost for that education."

Absolutely. Safeguards will always be a bottom line in this country. We can count on that.

California schools are ahead of the game when it comes to THE NCLB Reading First programs, btw, as are the Penn. schools. I have had first hand experience with several educators from boh states. ... But there is still a great deal of work to do.

I have been in touch with one particular school in Santa Maria Bonita, Calif. for the past year.....they have been very supportive in terms of assisting me with the "reading first" curriculum.   The Core Reading Program.
I have taken the initiative and welcome the opportunity to ask questions in order tto find out just how other school systems approach thenew programs. I have been impressed with the schools in Calif.  

But, then again, like I said the other day.....they, too are subjected to teaching ONLY the 3 R's.
There is a way to integrate curriculum but they are ahead of the game there too....because they have made sure such accomodations are available.

My sister's child is going to attend a private school next year and I've "come to find out" they offer not only science and social studies, but art/music and DRAMA ! The good old days of my career.
I have to admit, I would rather eat Godiva Chocolate' than a bittersweet thin mint any day of the week.  I work in a virtual Junior Mint box these days.

I applaud the home schoolers...I do. I will leave my post at that.
The little beings I teach each day come to school so damn happy to learn something new, it would make you all cry a tear.

So, for now,I 'sneak' in science and social studies, and I try to bring in art and music (I have a double minor in art ed and music ed). I play the piano and the classical guitar. I am an artist.

In the end;
These little ones will never have the luxury of Home Schooling or private schooling....

I want them to have the best..and I will do my best to provide that.

Update:
Just recently, life has changed for the little boy that I posted about last month or so....the one who is raised by "gang members'....well, his step father died of an overdose not too long ago. The S-father had just bitched at me on the phone about "homework" after months of no contact in such regard.  I remember telling the principal about the conversation and that I had some worries about the man's tone and threats against the little boy. The step dad in question actually put "R" ON THE PHONE as a humiliation tactic of sorts....(the boy who has come to trust me and feel comfortable in a school room setting)....Well, the dad" died THAT NIGHT of an drug overdose.
I was so sad for my student. He has never been better! Yes, he is sad for him mom and now that he is living with grandma, the boy is a NEW BEING. I know that is not right of me to suggest that the Step Father's life should not have been lost, but this child is at peace now. My god. What a world. God Bless the man's soul. I pray for him, I do.

My student, "R" has had a tougher life than anyone on this board will ever know and he's only 8!

I am proud to have been a part of his and other children's lives all these years. I hold hope that there is a future for these kids. A chance to find their own  place in the world. So many kids return to me year after year with stories of life.

Lives can be touched, sure...and as a teacher I have touched so many lives.

But I want more. I want them to "get" what everyone else gets"....

I believe that UP is right. There ARE AND HAVE BEEN attempts to improve the PS system. I actually see the beginning steps now, and I suppoe we have had to take a couple of steps backward in order to move forward. I have hope. FRance and other European nations who hold a qualtiy education system have been around a lot longer that the USA...we just need time, I suppose and a willingness to meet in the middle.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2008, 12:18:05 AM »
  A sense of mission makes up for a lot of handicaps , haveing no sense of mission would make  teaching just  assembly line work.

What is the best way to get people to teach with a sense of mission?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2008, 09:51:21 AM »
   What is the best way to get people to teach with a sense of mission?

Treat them like the professionals they are.

Please note that professionals set their own salaries.

Giving bonuses to the Teacher of the Year is pretty much like giving out Hero of the Soviet Union Medals or permission to buy a new refrigerator.

Do not confuse a sense of mission with being a dummy who will fall for Crackerjacks prizes, plaques and trophies.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 09:53:48 AM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
awhile back my company won the malcolm baldridge award and all of us got these pins that said We won

when ask what I won the only answer i could give was this pin

http://baldrige.nist.gov/

business really need to do better rewards than crackerjack prizes.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »
I think Mao would hand out medals, and perhaps front-row tickets to performances of "The White-Haired Girl", about a young Communist who fought so hard for the Revolution that her hair turned prematurely white.

In the USSR, eventually they gave you a chance to avoid waiting a decade for a new Lada or Moskvitch sedan.

We have a variety of 'Best teacher of the Year' Awards, based on student votes, but I never bother to pass out the ballots. I refuse to compete in stupid contests like these.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:42:54 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Cynthia

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:14 PM »
I think Mao would hand out medals, and perhaps front-row tickets to performances of "The White-Haired Girl", about a young Communist who fought so hard for the Revolution that her hair turned prematurely white.

In the USSR, eventually they gave you a chance to avoid waiting a decade for a new Lada or Moskvitch sedan.

We have a variety of 'Best teacher of the Year' Awards, based on student votes, but I never bother to pass out the ballots. I refuse to compete in stupid contests like this.

Crumbs.....throwing crumbs....Teacher Awards are a dime a dozen. I HATE those teacher of the year awards. .  . . not to mention staff member OF THE MONTH? Gezzus.

I'll tell you what.

When a child presents me a note thanking me for teaching him/her...that's all I need.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »
The kids have a right to a decent education. 

IMHO, homeschooling by a bunch of ignorant fanatics exercising parental rights amounts to child abuse.  They'll grow up dumb as shit and past a certain point there won't be any remedial education that'll work. 

I think it's unfortunate that some parents are good teachers and some aren't, but the state can't afford to get into evaluations which are necessarily subjective to some degree.  Best solution is to outlaw all religious, ethnic and homeschooling, and mandate that every kid without exception attend a regular school week in a regular school year at his neighborhood public school.  If the parents want to supplement their kids' education, they can do it at home, after school hours.

Unadulterated feldercarb!

I would move to New Zealand if this were to occur. By your definition, I AM an "ignorant fanatic" and yet my homeschooled daughter earned a 1400 on her SAT and is also well-socialized. If a parent can do the job, by objective standards, then they should be allowed to do so. Either apply the same criteria or don't get in to this arena, I would say.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:21:10 PM by The_Professor »
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »
my main problem with public school is cost
in most if not all the news the schools say thier near or out of money and the government is the villian for cutting budget.
if you notice nobody except maybe arnold has said too much money has gone to the school .but none is accounted for.

I see alot of money going in but very things being bought for the kids.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/14/MN6UVJBJH.DTL

and why are we discouraging school alternatives?

that judge maybe in trouble now

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
I see alot of money going in but very things being bought for the kids.

====================================================
The money builds schools and maintains them and pays the electricity.
It pays for the schoolbooks and computers and a lot more stuff.
What exactly do you expect to see bought for the kids?
Why would you assume that you would see evidence of it unless you are inside the schools?

Cynthia

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »
"So your beef is with them and not NCLB."

Bt, with all due respect...you don't listen.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
Bt, with all due respect...you don't listen.

Cynthia, with all due respect.... I do listen.

For example i distinctly "heard" you state that administering the test in february was idiocy.

That testing for the whole curriculum so early in the year was a setup for failure.

So i dug a bit.

Georgia has their tests in April.

Same with California.

NCLB declares that the states design and implement the tests.

Which means in your case, NM is responsible for your dissatisfaction.

Did i "mishear" you?