Author Topic: California judge says no to homeschooling  (Read 122280 times)

Cynthia

Re: California judge says no to homeschooling
« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2008, 10:52:24 PM »
The original ACT was set up to threaten and provide more punitive actiosn than support.

Please quote the section of the act that defines the "punitive actions" to be taken.

There are leading "suggestions" that each State take it upon itself to make SURE these scores are reached....thus the basis for the NCLB punitive implications, Ami.

That has been clear from the getgo.

Hey, btw, feel better. Get rid of that cold.

Cynthia

« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/deputy/nclb/parents/facts/eng/eng-sini.html

This is one of the many sites I have 'visited' this evening in the genre of NCLB. It seems that schools all over the country are experiencing the same sort of thing. AYP.  I am convinced now, more than ever, that the Republican adminstration wants to push for something "other than Public school system". Ok, ironic as it is...I am all for teaching children about God. I am all for bringing back prayer in schools. But, could this be about that? Could this be about the RIGHT" agenda to privatize schooling in order to teach faith in a God?
Ok, it's a stretch, but I am going to wonder about that one.

As for the NYC SCHOOLS HERE...I might be wrong, but the rhetoric seems to be the same across the board, here.

I see now why people on the "outside" come to such a quick judgement of the system, overall.

With such demands and unwillingness to offer "time for change", I see that this issue of AYP and a rush to punish is at the forefront.

If your child?s school is receiving Title I funds and is in need of improvement, you may have new choices.

How sad. How sad that the nation's only "offering" of a quality education for the masses is as such;  "If Your child's school is receiving Title I funds AND IS IN NEED OF IMPROVEMENT, you may have choices??

Well, now I see what Sirs and others have been promoting. The idea that it's time for a private, homeschool,magic charter school to step up and win that plate.

I work with kids who deserve more. I work daily with kids who's parents will not transfer at a whim, and move over to the homeschooling genre. Give me a break.

That is so very unfair. Private schools equate to $. Homeschools equate to $. Charter equate to $. Of course, now I see. Reduce the public schools to so much of nothing, that THERE IS NO OTHER CHOICE.

The masses do not matter. There are too many "masses" of underprivileged kids who do matter, though. Send them on to a neighborhood school where they will GET A BETTER DEAL and all will be fine?
Sad, and not realistic.

Your child may be able to transfer to a better school in your school district (public school choice) if your child attends a Title I school in need of improvement.

And let me make this clear. When any public school on or off AYP status decides to be trained in a research-based program  in order to make that AYP, the most people do not realize one minor fact in this big matter; that it takes several (2-6 years depending on the program) to show improvement in test scores.

When we adopted the Terc Investigations math program, for example,we were reminded that it might take at least six years to show improvement in scores. SIX YEARS! The schools in PA have already experienced such a challenge. Our reading program; The Houghton Mifflin Core Reading program(while it is fabulous in scope,in so many ways) can not promise such improvement in scores for at least six years!
THE NCLB ACT WANTS improvement yesterday....or we are on probation.
Sure, let the year 2014 come up soon enough, but that's not good enough for the gov. We must make that grade NOW.
Who has time for that when we are to make the AYP in one year!? There are so many details in this process.

Your child may be able to receive extra help, known as supplemental educational services, if his or her school is a Title I school in need of improvement for one year and fails to make adequate yearly progress.

The NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND (NCLB) ACT of 2001 is a federal law to improve education for all children. It holds schools responsible for results, gives parents greater choices, and promotes teaching methods that work. This fact sheet will point out a part of the law that is important for parents to know.
All schools must make Adequate Yearly Progress. 

The NCLB law requires every state to set high academic standards and yearly goals for achievement. By 2014, by law all children should be performing at the proficiency level in reading, language arts, and math, and science. Adequate yearly progress (AYP) is the minimum level of performance school districts and schools must achieve every year to meet this goal.

Ok, so by the year 2014, these programs will have made a difference in the area of child's ability to read and compute. This is the first time I am reading that science matters. But, in one year?  

Title I schools that fail to show adequate yearly progress for two years in a row in the same subject and grade are considered in need of improvement.

A clear example of reaction vs  procactive. So then what?

Title I schools in need of improvement must develop a plan for improvement and involve parents in the plan. The New York State Education Department and the local school district or charter school board will help the school get resources and improve teaching.

New York, New Mexico.
Chicago, St. Paul...no difference.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:13:34 AM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #347 on: March 27, 2008, 01:15:29 AM »
Well, now I see what Sirs and others have been promoting. The idea that it's time for a private, homeschool,magic charter school to step up and win that plate.

I doubt you do see.

Because you aren't seeing the converse. If the school isn't receiving title 1 funds and isn't in need of improvement then all is well and there is no need to intervene and offer viable options to the children attending underperforming schools.

What NCLB offers is hope.

No different than the hope that you have that Hillary or Obama will magically step in and fix the system.

Except NCLB offers a bit more concrete hope that children aren't forever abandoned to the soft bigotry of low expectations, because it offers alternatives.

Cynthia

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #349 on: March 27, 2008, 01:16:17 AM »
whoa
we hit level 24!!

bt this gotta be a record

Cynthia

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:23:16 AM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #351 on: March 27, 2008, 01:25:51 AM »

I doubt you do see.

Because you aren't seeing the converse. If the school isn't receiving title 1 funds and isn't in need of improvement then all is well and there is no need to intervene and offer viable options to the children attending underperforming schools.

What NCLB offers is hope.

No different than the hope that you have that Hillary or Obama will magically step in and fix the system.

Except NCLB offers a bit more concrete hope that children aren't forever abandoned to the soft bigotry of low expectations, because it offers alternatives.

I don't doubt that you see, I know you don't see, BT.

NCLB offers very little hope when it comes to abandoning the overall education for all children.

Low expectations?
That's what you think?

You have not been listening.

It's not about lower expectations.

My god, Man.
Do you not read?

Cynthia

« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2008, 01:28:54 AM »
But of course YOU READ.. You read what you want to read into this.

You just don't see the facts as they are laid out here.

You rest on your rhetoric and low expectation stance, and refuse to see that there is a dumbing down of sorts happening to children under the veil of No children left behind?
You do not read the details in this.

I pray that OBAMA wins this election.

You are not in the classroom, BT.

You are in your armchair, sad to say.

Cynthia

« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2008, 01:31:34 AM »
Have you studied how a child learns?

I ask you that, BT.

Do you know how to teach a child.

Don't bring in your sister as a crutch.

Do you know how a child learns?

Answer that simple question, please.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2008, 01:52:46 AM »
Do you know how to teach a child.

Yes.

I have taught a child, mine.

I taught him to brush his teeth.

I taught him how to ride a bike, throw a baseball, saw a piece of wood.

I taught him how to mow a lawn, how to sell a service and how to run a business.

I taught him how to read, how to detect the influences of the Byrds on REM. I taught him how to debate either side of an issue.

I taught him how to drive, when accelerating is better than braking, why defensive driving is better than aggresive driving.

And all the time i was teaching him, he was teaching me.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:33 AM »
whoa
we hit level 24!!

bt this gotta be a record

Top 10 Topics (by Replies)     Top 10 Topics (by Views)

And we're supposed to "talk" to these folks       375
California judge says no to homeschooling       354

close!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #356 on: March 27, 2008, 05:23:02 AM »
give it time we`re not exactly slowing down

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #357 on: March 27, 2008, 08:24:57 AM »
There are leading "suggestions" that each State take it upon itself to make SURE these scores are reached....thus the basis for the NCLB punitive implications, Ami.

Please quote the section of the act.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2008, 10:26:57 AM »
I think we all have an idea of how to teach some things.

We know that people do not all respond in the same way to the same stimuli: some people are visual, some are auditory, some learn best with pictures, others with the spoken word, others with text.

What actually happens in the brain- the electrochemical events that put an idea or concept or system of actions into the memory- these are things that are rarely dealt with in education classes. They are still in the process of development, and are mostly studied in the branches of medicine that deal with brain disfunctions due to disease and accidents.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
Ok BT, perhaps that was an unfair question.

But, children deserve more than they are getting these days in the public schools.

When Bush set up the NCLB act I do believe he wanted children in the public schools to receive the best education possible. Somehow through this whole process, the argument has "trickled down" to
a)vouchers
b)home schooling
c)charter schools.

I find that interesting. So, perhaps those behind the NCLB act wanted such a "discussion" to occur all the while.

Nowhere do we read that children are actually offered MORE in their learning day. Not by a long shot. Instead the argument turns to punitive reactions, harsh criticism, etc.

When a teacher dedicates his/her life to educating others, more often than not, there is a valuable plan of action involved.

But, all of a sudden we see/read that teachers are
a)bad apples
b)whining about accountability
c)asking for more money

I think the nature of this country (or perhpas this message board for the most part) lends itself to the antithesis of such progress. This administration has taken a decent 'act' and made it into a scene of nothing but hardship and struggles--for who?

The children.
They are going to lose out.

Now, otoh, if the act is reviewed and corrective action in a positive way is 'leveled' in its direction, perhpas we can see the Public Schools and the purity of education for all children, come back to life again.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:11:49 PM by Cynthia »