Author Topic: L'Affaire Spitzer  (Read 23321 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: L'Affaire Spitzer
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »

Err, how does the New Jersey Senate impeach the Governor of New York?

I was wondering about that too. I wonder if it's like those towns that recently voted to put President Bush in jail should he ever come near their townships.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Rich

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »
>>Err, how does the New Jersey Senate impeach the Governor of New York?<<

What? I said New York.

;)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »

Have any Democrats called for Governor Spitzer to resign?

Republicans including John McCain called for the sleazeball Larry Craig to resign.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Rich

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 05:08:29 PM »
No, they're not calling for him to resign. Most of them are defending him.

Remember Mark Foley? They screamed for his head and he didn't do anything even remotely similiar to this.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »
Let the Hypocritical Double Standard shine bright
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 08:25:10 PM »
Now, wait a minute. 

I don't recall anyone calling for Vitter's resignation.  I especially didn't call for his resignation.  If I remember correctly, all I did was crow about his being this supposed moralizing asswipe who went out and did what he was acting like no one should ever do ever.

The thing with Spitzer is that I could care less whether or not he went to a hooker any more than I cared about Vitter doing it. 

The big thing about Vitter as well as Spitzer is that they held themselves up as perfect role models and then broke either their moral codes and/or the law.

While Vitter is a GOP moralizing jackass and I have no need to support him, I had actually held Spitzer out as separate and above ALL/MOST politicians and supported his governorship and any and all prosecutions.  I will neither call for his resignation nor crow when he beats the rap (which it is looking more and more like he will).

fatman

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
Money.

Spitzer is one of those super rich people liberals despise in principle, but love to vote for.

I guess that's why Larry Craig was toe tapping in the bathroom, because he was broke.  Right?

Republicans including John McCain called for the sleazeball Larry Craig to resign.

So why didn't they initiate impeachment proceedings against him when he reneged?

Remember Mark Foley? They screamed for his head and he didn't do anything even remotely similiar to this.

You're right, sending graphic text messages to 17 year olds isn't even close to this.

modestyblase

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
This entire bust had to do with a cash grab by the government. The agency became too big and too visible and too greedy. Once their business developed a reputation they should have flown under the radar. Would have been the way to avoid this, especially since a few agencies will likely pop up soon in its place.

Another likelihood is that someone had issues with Spitzer and this was a targeted takedown-least, thats what I presumed upon hearing the news.

Brass-Vitter should have been forced to resign for exercising poor client judgment  ;D

That brings up a new topic: Hourly working girls and the morons who purchase their services aside-ha Vitter got what he paid for-why don't these high profile gentleman fly women in from the agencies across the pond, or travel to them? Or just go for independents, who will never make the sort of dollars to justify any bother from the government.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:04:23 PM by modestyblase »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »
So why didn't they initiate impeachment proceedings against him when he reneged?

In my opinion Larry Craig should have resigned or been impeached.
His quest for reckless sex is beyond sickening and illegal.
Of course Spitzer committed worse crimes.
But they should both be gone!

modestyblase

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »

In my opinion Larry Craig should have resigned or been impeached.
His quest for reckless sex is beyond sickening and illegal.
Of course Spitzer committed worse crimes.
But they should both be gone!

Larry Craig's quest for reckless sex? Forgive me as I am secular, but that seems harsh. Are oral pleasures against the law in...what State was that, Ohio or Minnesota? I think it was sad-as are all things like random sex with strangers in bathrooms, rather depraved and deprived for that matter-but hardly worthy of the implicit contempt of your words. While I appreciate a persons right to religiousity, isn't one of the main tenents of Xtianity to judge not?

What "worse crime" did Spitzer commit? If he ends up facing any prosecution at all, it will be under the Mann Act, which needs to be tossed anyway.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
Larry Craig was at best, just pathetic. He shouldn't have confessed to anything, because he didn't actually DO anything that should be considered illegal.

Spitzer was just dumb. If he were Greek or French or Dutch, this would never have been exposed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

fatman

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »
Larry Craig was at best, just pathetic. He shouldn't have confessed to anything, because he didn't actually DO anything that should be considered illegal.

I was reading in the paper last weekend that another guy who was busted in the same sting as Craig, was acquitted of charges.  Personally, I think Craig tried to keep it quiet in the hope that no one would find out about it.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 10:54:05 PM »
Larry Craig's quest for reckless sex?

Absolutely reckless sex.
What else would you call soliticiting random sex with total strangers in airport restrooms?

What "worse crime" did Spitzer commit?

Don't get me wrong, I think Larry Craig is one sick human being
that needs mental help and his ass tossed from the US Senate but
I'm sorry I must have missed the part of the Larry Craig story where he
actually paid for sex, transported a prostitute across state lines (a federal crime)
or "structuring" money which is the intentional structuring of financial transactions
involving cash in amounts less than $10,000 for the purpose of avoiding the filing
of "Currency Transaction Reports" with IRS and FBI.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:57:33 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »

Cynthia

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 10:59:53 PM »
Sign of the old times past.   JFK's  playground.

And Kennedy is a hero and has his face on a coin.

He was immoral. He may or may not have indulged in prostitution, but no matter....one of the finest presidents this country "honors" ripped his wife's heart out multiple times.

Shame is so fickle.

Fame is so very blind.

modestyblase

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »
Larry Craig's quest for reckless sex?

Absolutely reckless sex.
What else would you call soliticiting random sex with total strangers in airport restrooms?

What "worse crime" did Spitzer commit?

Don't get me wrong, I think Larry Craig is one sick human being
that needs mental help and his ass tossed from the US Senate but
I'm sorry I must have missed the part of the Larry Craig story where he
actually paid for sex, transported a prostitute across state lines (a federal crime)
or "structuring" money which is the intentional structuring of financial transactions
involving cash in amounts less than $10,000 for the purpose of avoiding the filing
of "Currency Transaction Reports" with IRS and FBI.

Americans are notoriously overstimulated and undersexed. So while I think Craig was kind of sad, I don't view either him nor the act he sought to engage in as sickening or immoral. I worry much, much more about those who track the story and form rather severe judgments against a person for it than I do about Craig and others like him.

To address the points re: Spitzer:
Mann Act? Repeal the damn thing already.
Structured deposits? Now this one has two different responses from me. First-and correct me if I am wrong-but structured deposits only became a significant crime because of the Patriot Act correct? Oh repeal that already as well. Second-Spitzer is a smart guy, so why the hell didn;t he protect himself adequately? It is not wise to leave all protection to the ones you hire.
Paying for sex? It's the oldest profession. Get over it and decriminalize it already. Why someone hasn't tried yet is beyond me.

Cynthia-Jackie O. was aware of his philandering ways before she ever said "I do", and though surely it bothered her she must have felt it was a risk worth taking. Besides, wasn't she secretly pining for RFK?