Author Topic: When?  (Read 32705 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: When?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
The remediation report of the 2006-2007 High School Indicators Project found that 35 percent of Oklahoma's college freshmen need remediation. That's a drop from 36.7 percent during the previous school year.

==========================================================
So that is 65% that do NOT need remediation. One assumes that their HS teachers did their job adequately.

Is the Iraq War 65% successful? With 2 million Iraqis in exile, maybe a hundred thousand dead, and lower oil production than before the war, I doubt that Iraqis woud agree with a 65% success rate.

Would the families and friends of the 4000 US troops dead and something like 20,000 blind, insane, or turned into human vegetables agree with a 65% success rate?

I imagine Dick Cheney would say that itr has been a crowing success, but then that could be because no one has shot at Dick Cheney, or perhaps that he continues to profit from his Halliburton stock.

The actual percentage success rate might be somewhere in between.

Some activities are inherently doomed to meet with failure: skunk soup, the electric fork, the atomic airplane and asbestos airfilters come to mind. Perhaps the Iraq War is one of these.

When Saddam was in power, Al Qaeda Iraq did not exist and was no threat to anyone.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »
But the reasons we went in, and how long we might be there, were clear from the get-go, for anyone who was paying attention.

==============================================
No, it WAS NOT made clear at all.

Yea, it was......at least to those with an objective (let the head control decision making vs letting the feelings) mindset, and/or not already predisposed to hating anything and everything Bush

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
<<And who the heck told you that??  Certainly not Bush, and certainly not Rumsfeld. >>

Oh, wait....Other top officials, including Cheney and Rumsfeld, said the war would last "weeks, not months."

And the war to take out Saddam DID last far shorter than ANYONE had predicted.  Again, for those that actually care about the facts, timeline folks........timeline

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 06:36:15 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »
So that is 65% that do NOT need remediation. One assumes that their HS teachers did their job adequately

65% is a failing grade.

At least it was when i went to school.

fatman

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 09:37:18 PM »
Actually, it's less than 65%.  It's only 65% of graduated high schoolers that attended an Oklahoma university or community college.  Factor in the number of students who didn't go to college (and these would be the students who are probably in greater need of remediation than those who choose to pursue college) and I think that it would come out substantially lower.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 09:40:03 PM »
Actually, it's less than 65%.  It's only 65% of graduated high schoolers that attended an Oklahoma university or community college.  Factor in the number of students who didn't go to college (and these would be the students who are probably in greater need of remediation than those who choose to pursue college) and I think that it would come out substantially lower.

Pisses ya off, doesn't it.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 09:46:54 PM »
"So that is 65% that do NOT need remediation"

OMG you are not bragging about that disgrace are yo XO?

Stop the disgrace.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAwallaceG.htm

Interesting facts about George Wallace.
How is he relevant here?
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Rich

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 10:20:04 PM »
>>This "mission accomplished" war was not supposed to last THIS LONG!<<

As I recall President Bush told the nation the war on terror would be a long one. One that might last generations. So it WAS supposed to last this long! Perhaps longer still.

fatman

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:52 PM »
Pisses ya off, doesn't it.

Yes, quite a bit actually.

There's really no excuse for it.

The fault can be spread around, probably somewhat evenly, between the student, the parents, and the teachers, but the fact is that we all pay for it.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »

As I recall President Bush told the nation the war on terror would be a long one. One that might last generations. So it WAS supposed to last this long! Perhaps longer still.

The war on terror, yes, they said that would last a long time. The Iraq war, on the other hand, was going to be quick, a few weeks, or at most a few months. And that is why we should not call what is happening now the Iraq war. The Iraq war is done. It did happen quickly. What is happening now is something else. Call it occupation, call it military conflict in Iraq, whatever. But let's not deny that the Iraq war was promised to be short by making it and the war on terror the same thing. The Iraq war may have been part of the war on terror, but let's not confuse the two.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 10:32:21 PM »
"How is he relevant here?"

George Wallace was the Democrat that stood in front of the school door
attempting to defend a disgrace that kept black children from the right
to a decent education. (LOCKED OUT)

Today Democrats stand in front of the school doors keeping
black children locked into a poor education by refusing to allow
some serious wide spread experiments with school vouchers. (LOCKED IN)

Teachers Unions should not be more important than the children.

One day both disgraces will be a part of ancient history
and the children will get the education they deserve.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:50:54 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Rich

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »
>>The war on terror, yes, they said that would last a long time. The Iraq war, on the other hand, was going to be quick, a few weeks, or at most a few months.<<

I don?t recall the adminstration making such claims, particularly President Bush.

>>The Iraq war may have been part of the war on terror, but let's not confuse the two.<<

I?m sorry, but you do seem to be confused. The war in Iraq is most definitely part of the war on terror, and has always been. I think perhaps you have it exactly backwards. We should ALWAYS refer to it as the war on terror, not come up with something different to placate the left, or those who despite what they?ve been told from the beginning refuse to call it what it is.

Rich

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 10:47:42 PM »
>George Wallace was the Democrat that stood in front of the school door
attempting to defend a disgrace that kept black children from the right
to a decent education.

Today Democrats stand in front of the school doors keeping
black children locked into a poor education by refusing to allow
some serious wide spread experiments with school vouchers.

Teachers Unions should not be more important than the children.<<

Bravo!

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »
...since every life lost in this war will not be in vain...

I feel they already are, and your only hope to truly convince yourself otherwise is for some miracle to occur that will 'fix' the problem for us. Then you can claim, well, hell yes, they all died for a good cause...
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016