Author Topic: Diversity's Oppressions  (Read 35796 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Diversity's Oppressions
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2006, 12:01:08 PM »
The answer is clearly "no." There isn't a single contextual sentence that shows how the author has a positive view of diversity.  I'll note also that you have failed to answer most other questions brought up in the conversation. It is obvious you don't even understand the piece as it is written.

And I'll note that actually, it's more obvious that you don't understand the author as he writes his pieces.  Not so remarkable when one considers you're only looking at 1 twig of 1 tree, within a forest of his commentary.  In that regards, you do get a pass
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:43:33 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2006, 12:27:49 PM »
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance."

Might want to consider it.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
And you expect me to believe we are a "society based on the rule of law?" Perhaps in a theory written on a piece of paper, but in reality? No, I don't think so.

I believe we are more a society based on the rule of law than we are a society based on freedom.

And i guarantee you, even though the application of law is not perfect, david has a much better chance against goliath with the law than without.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
Now that is probably a fairer statement Bt.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: November 03, 2006, 01:44:27 PM »
"It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance." Might want to consider it.

Considered and applied where & when appropriate
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »

Is there a way to experiment and learn whether some of these laws and penaltys might could be done away with without causeing too much harm?

Sure. Let the states do it.

To be specific , I would like to repeal the laws that restrict Marijuanna use and replace them with more reasonable regulation that is designed to make the stuff safe to use responsibly rather than the law as it is which seems to be designed to punish a user or provider without reguard to the safety and responsibility of the use.

A few states are progressing toward that. I think Colorado is the state closest to legalizing casual (as opposed to medical) possession of marijuana, but that is a huge controversy there. And who knows if the U.S.D.O.J. would even allow it.

The rights that belong to a Human Being by natural right should always be a matter of discusson between citizens.

"Why?"

Because we are not born agreeing on what is good and needful, nor do we die at great age haveing learned all.

Why do we have to agree on that? Are we so afraid of everyone becoming murderers and rapists and pedophiles that we cannot allow people to decide for themselves what is good and needful? If we are, that seems like a severe lack of faith in one's fellow humans.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2006, 02:48:10 PM »

Try to keep in mind that those same laws trump freedom, absolute or otherwise. The concepts of freedom and rule of law are not in conflict. But the ideal is far from the reality. And that is what really needs to be kept in mind.

The ideal is far from reality. Did you think I was unaware of this?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »

The assertion is based on the mountrain of articles he's written over the years,

Then perhaps you should show us one or more of those articles that support your position, rather than just expecting other people to take your word for it that you know what he really meant.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2006, 02:54:47 PM »

Is there a way to experiment and learn whether some of these laws and penaltys might could be done away with without causeing too much harm?

Sure. Let the states do it.

To be specific , I would like to repeal the laws that restrict Marijuanna use and replace them with more reasonable regulation that is designed to make the stuff safe to use responsibly rather than the law as it is which seems to be designed to punish a user or provider without reguard to the safety and responsibility of the use.

A few states are progressing toward that. I think Colorado is the state closest to legalizing casual (as opposed to medical) possession of marijuana, but that is a huge controversy there. And who knows if the U.S.D.O.J. would even allow it.

The rights that belong to a Human Being by natural right should always be a matter of discusson between citizens.

"Why?"

Because we are not born agreeing on what is good and needful, nor do we die at great age haveing learned all.

Why do we have to agree on that? Are we so afraid of everyone becoming murderers and rapists and pedophiles that we cannot allow people to decide for themselves what is good and needful? If we are, that seems like a severe lack of faith in one's fellow humans.

So this becomes a states rights issue?

[][][][][][][][]

We cannot agree, but we must have a policy , this is what the discussion does, a consensus is formed that displeases the greater number the least .

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2006, 03:03:45 PM »

So this becomes a states rights issue?

I certainly hope so.

We cannot agree, but we must have a policy

Why must we have a policy?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2006, 05:27:40 PM »

"Why?"

-----------------------------------
One word: Slavery. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2006, 06:06:42 PM »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2006, 07:11:22 PM »
"Because we are not born agreeing on what is good and needful, nor do we die at great age haveing learned all."
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »
"Because we are not born agreeing on what is good and needful, nor do we die at great age haveing learned all."

I don't consider this a good justification of slavery.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2006, 07:41:08 PM »
with so many people indebt nowadays
maybe it`ll come in some fashion
it worked for ireland
and it was acceptable