Author Topic: Diversity's Oppressions  (Read 35768 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Diversity's Oppressions
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2006, 06:40:03 PM »
And one more time, who's "requiring" a melting?  Pointing out flaws is a far cry from mandating behavior.  Is there pending legislation I'm not aware of?

Aren't you expecting people to assimilate? Maybe you're not, but as I recall, that is one of the major objections to open borders and letting all those Mexicans "flood" into America.

No, I'm HOPING people will want to assimilate.  As Kimba has referenced, it's principly what has made this country great, and why our country has been referred to as the "melting pot".  It's also at the core of what Sowell was trying to say, that was frequently being distorted this morning.

And NO, that's not counter to the idea of enforcing our borders.  Apples & Oranges, but nice try
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2006, 06:41:11 PM »
uhm
assimilation is not a goods thing for america
we really need to be exposed to a great deal of cultures and ideas.
no one ever had the ability to create out of nothing.
ex. A ex-microsoft exec arrainge a doctor,physicist,techician& various other experts to brainstorm once a week
he got more ideas than he can do with now
he state no one expert could ever of come up with these innovations alone this quickly

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2006, 07:13:43 PM »
     The Balkins are not as diverse as the USA , very very few examples of diversity could be considered to be within the same order of magnitude of diversity.

Can the diversity itself be considered seprately from the tolerance level of the people and institutions for diversity?

In Japan it is better to be Japaneese than Aniu or Okinowan or Korean , there is only a little diversity to put up with and they do not do it well. They get along better than they used to .

It is within living memory that Indian children would be practicly kidnapped from their parents and raised in dorms where they would be forbidden to learn their languages , Languages like Navaho and Cherokee survive inspite of intolerance because there was a hard kernel of resistance that carryed through the worst part of the supression.

I think we get along better than we used to , nobody is joining the "Know Nothing " party anymore and it is harder to kidnap a child from an Indian family.

Yet do we want to establish a system that denys oppurtunitys to minoritys in order to preserve their customs and language?

I was once taught by a full Blooded Apache , he was teaching electronic troubleshooting , he was really good , but jobs of this sort were scarce in the area around the reservation.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »
All I can say about the japanese is that pretty much every tech they have is developed U.S.  technology.
not much is solely they`re own.

except their unique approuch to development .
the U.S. needs to learn this systyem if we`re gonna keep being competative.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »
assimilation is not a goods thing for america  we really need to be exposed to a great deal of cultures and ideas.
no one ever had the ability to create out of nothing.

And yet its assimilation (melting pot) that has principly made this country as great it is.  And ironically it was you who facilitated that reference. what makes you think we're not exposed?  1 more time, assimilation doesn't madante that 1 ignore their culture, their heritage, or their history.  It simply assigns America as their new home, with the prompting of holding America up as the beacon for what prompted them to come here in the 1st place.  I can't count how many stories I've heard of Foreigners, such as from Italy, Spain, Poland, Ireland, etc., who made the effort to learn to speak English, and relished the idea of being an American.  Families who refused to speak their native language when out in public, and who made their children learn English 1st. 

Immigrants who knew how important and how Great America was & is, that they'd risk everything to come here........to be an American
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2006, 07:45:25 PM »
Perhaps we could agree on a few concepts .

Americans would be well served to have more children learning second languages.

Americans would be well served if all citizens and residents could communicate well with each other.

Americans are well served by haveing loose limits on the cultural choices we are allowed to make.

Americans would be well served by learning a cross cultural tolerance that produced at least a miminimum level of respect for us all from us all.

Of these four points I just stated only one is properly the role of government.

How much agreement is there for this?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2006, 08:04:09 PM »
I say in the context I tend to hear immigrant must assililate to american culture.
I`m saying us americans could learn quite alot from immigrants

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
on the part about communication
it aint just immigrants
people keep forgetting just how big the U.S. is.
a big mess of us don`t understand each other lingo

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 08:36:40 PM »
Americans are innovators. Actually a small number of Americans are innovators. Americans also tend to excel at new approaches to marketing. Both advertising and propaganda originated in the US. So did Tupperware parties, Multi-level marketing and franchised restaurants and other sorts of franchises.

The Japanese are best at taking a concept and perfecting it to the point of making its creation an art form.
Flower arranging, Paper folding (origami), calligraphy, bonsai and rock gardens are all examples of this. So are modern TV's, DVD and VCR players, Toyotas and Lexuses.

WE are better off having both the American and the Japanese types of creative spirit on the planet.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 08:38:20 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 10:21:42 PM »
I say in the context I tend to hear immigrant must assililate to american culture.
I`m saying us americans could learn quite alot from immigrants

And I'm saying I agree that us americans could learn quite alot from immigrants

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2006, 12:01:10 AM »
Concern for states' rights won't do it any more.  Today's racists have to talk about diversity - - the menace and the threat.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2006, 12:08:47 AM »
Concern for states' rights won't do it any more.  Today's racists have to talk about diversity - - the menace and the threat.

Did Freud ever actually say that sometimes a Cigar is a cigar?

I am not certain but sometimes "States Rights" is actually states rights an important issue in good government for its own sake.

There is a tiresome fixation on racism in places where it is really Little threat.

What has been legislated in the past two decades that really served the cause of White Supremacy?

?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2006, 12:17:53 AM »
Today's racists have to talk about diversity - - the menace and the threat.

You'd know best then, Tee

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2006, 12:36:48 AM »

No, I'm HOPING people will want to assimilate.

And if they don't?

As Kimba has referenced, it's principly what has made this country great, and why our country has been referred to as the "melting pot".  It's also at the core of what Sowell was trying to say, that was frequently being distorted this morning.

Please point out where Mr. Sowell said anything at all that indicated the core of his argument was that the "melting pot" is what has made this country great. Wait... are you suggesting all that language about reining in the dangers of diversity was really about the greatness of the American "melting pot"? If you are, you have to be joking. You can't be serious.

And NO, that's not counter to the idea of enforcing our borders.  Apples & Oranges, but nice try

Please tell me you're not suggesting now that the assimilation issue is not related to the immigration issue. Apples and oranges? This is another joke, right?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2006, 12:52:09 AM »
And by the way, I'm still waiting for someone to explain the whole oppressions of diversity thing. What, exactly, are the oppressions brought about by diversity? Am I oppressed by living in a diverse society? And if so, what have I lost, i.e.,  in what way have I been oppressed? If not the oppression of an individual, then perhaps society, in part or as a whole, has been oppressed. In which case the question remains. In what way has society—which is individuals and therefore includes me—been oppressed? Anyone? Anyone care to explain these supposed "Diversity's Oppressions"? Anyone?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--