Author Topic: 5 Yrs Later, RBE Robots Now Actually Built  (Read 5765 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
5 Yrs Later, RBE Robots Now Actually Built
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:13:39 PM »
About five years ago, I posted a link to a description of these very same robotic blocks in my ravings about the RBE.

Here they are actually doing the bare bones basics of what they will someday do for us.

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/04/uhoh_reassembling_robots_are_h.php

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: 5 Yrs Later, RBE Robots Now Actually Built
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
Big deal , Amino Acids assemble themselves better than that and have been doing so since day one.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 09:21:59 PM »
Big deal , Amino Acids assemble themselves better than that and have been doing so since day one.

True, but I've yet to see a bunch of amino acids pave a road.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:18:25 PM »

You have seen a robot pave a road?

You haven't seen something made of Amino acids pave a road?

Rich

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
>>Big deal , Amino Acids assemble themselves better than that and have been doing so since day one.<<

:D

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:38:12 PM »

No, I have not seen a robot pave a road, but back several years ago when I first posted about these robots one of the envisioned uses for them would be the automated paving of roads while said roads were still in full use.

As far as "something made of Amino acids" paving a road, I assume that you are talking about human beings paving roads but that is not the same as an amino acids paving a road, now is it?

These word games are a waste of time and most of the reason behind my lack of interest in responding to most of what people post about.  It is indicative of how I feel about most things these days.  In the way that you people always want to play words games and semantics, I also see this overly and offensively present in today's political processes.  No one ever wants to have a discussion about anything, they only want to "win", no matter what the situation.  Hillary wants to "win" though her "win" would mean the will of the people is moot.  If her winning means that she has to cut down Obama and make him look like a moron, then that's a win to her.  She's destroyed to win.  That's not winning.

In the same way, whenever I point out something that supports my stances, my hopes, my beliefs, there is inevitably almost immediately a personal drubbing handed out by the likes of sirs, rich or christian which always includes a cute, little emoticon like this  ::), and when I ignore that or tell them to go fuck themselves, there is the eventual nitpicking word games, the semantics, the oh-so-cutesiness of "aren't I witty and smart" types like you and Ami who think that since I won't bother to address your worthless nay-saying hypotheses (like strawberry-picking robots or amino acids paving roads) that somehow discredits my whole point to my post therefore the worthlessness of my opinion on all things including government, religion, society or history (god, guns and gays).

It gets really tiresome and annoying.  Sure it was fun five years ago.

Rich

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
Brass, now I know you read comics and are into science fiction, that means you know these robots will eventually realize they don't need us aqnd will begin a war against mankind.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:52:32 PM »
Brass, now I know you read comics and are into science fiction, that means you know these robots will eventually realize they don't need us aqnd will begin a war against mankind.

Um, yeeeeeeeahh, lol.

I still get chills thinking back to the Great Toaster Uprising of 1956 and just last year that Macintosh Revolt had to be put down in Austin.

Rich

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
You're thinking small brass. I don't know about you, but my car seems to have a mind of it's own!

But seriously, you've read I Robot I assume?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »
Brass is precisely correct in his diagnosis. Eventually there will be really useful robots and they will not rebel and certainly not have faces that resemble human skulls, teeth and all. Will we run out of resources because there are so many people on the planet that the cannot be built in the numbers that would be needed to care for the elderly, the mentally retarded, the victim veterans of stupid wars past? Will only CEO's be able to afford them, and use them to distribute canap?s at board meetings?

The difference between a future that has gone horribly, horribly wrong and one that has been built right is that the latter is too boring. Just like unabusive men. Hence the popularity of killer robot films over more realistic ones like Millenium Man. Robin Williams is more fun when he is on a rampage and NOT a useful robot. But That's entertainment.

Not reality.

I now await Ami to discredit this entire post by explaining how I have misspelled 'Millenium'.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 07:51:57 AM »
I now await Ami to discredit this entire post by explaining how I have misspelled 'Millenium'.

Nah, you're the spelling Nazi around here.

I only pick on your spelling when you make an error while chastising someone else about their spelling.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Rich

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 12:32:35 PM »
>>Eventually there will be really useful robots and they will not rebel and certainly not have faces that resemble human skulls, teeth and all.<<

I see your abilty to see into the future applies to science as well as politics. How wonderful for you!

::)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
About five years ago, I posted a link to a description of these very same robotic blocks in my ravings about the RBE.

Here they are actually doing the bare bones basics of what they will someday do for us.

BTW, read Vernor Vinge's novel Rainbows End yet? It's a very likely scenario for the near future.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
this post gave me some thoughts about rebel robots of the future.
and i stand corrected on my thoughts
I do not believe machines will think we`re obsolete.
I believe robots will kill us like in west world due to a programimg error.
ex. xp service 3
worst come to worst vista home basic

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:30:27 PM »

No, I have not seen a robot pave a road, but back several years ago when I first posted about these robots one of the envisioned uses for them would be the automated paving of roads while said roads were still in full use.

As far as "something made of Amino acids" paving a road, I assume that you are talking about human beings paving roads but that is not the same as an amino acids paving a road, now is it?

These word games are a waste of time and most of the reason behind my lack of interest in responding to most of what people post about.  It is indicative of how I feel about most things these days.  In the way that you people always want to play words games and semantics, I also see this overly and offensively present in today's political processes.  No one ever wants to have a discussion about anything, they only want to "win", no matter what the situation.  Hillary wants to "win" though her "win" would mean the will of the people is moot.  If her winning means that she has to cut down Obama and make him look like a moron, then that's a win to her.  She's destroyed to win.  That's not winning.

In the same way, whenever I point out something that supports my stances, my hopes, my beliefs, there is inevitably almost immediately a personal drubbing handed out by the likes of sirs, rich or christian which always includes a cute, little emoticon like this  ::), and when I ignore that or tell them to go fuck themselves, there is the eventual nitpicking word games, the semantics, the oh-so-cutesiness of "aren't I witty and smart" types like you and Ami who think that since I won't bother to address your worthless nay-saying hypotheses (like strawberry-picking robots or amino acids paving roads) that somehow discredits my whole point to my post therefore the worthlessness of my opinion on all things including government, religion, society or history (god, guns and gays).

It gets really tiresome and annoying.  Sure it was fun five years ago.

You are terriffic and never wrong , whenever I disagree with you I know full well that I can't be right , I do feel obligated though to provide you with some debate .