Author Topic: Cries of 'Duce! Duce!' salute Rome's new mayor  (Read 873 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cries of 'Duce! Duce!' salute Rome's new mayor
« on: April 29, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
Cries of 'Duce! Duce!' salute Rome's new mayor

John Hooper in Rome

guardian.co.uk

Tuesday April 29 2008

Italy's new parliament met for the first time today with applause for Rome's mayor-elect, Gianni Alemanno, a day after followers celebrated his triumph with straight-arm salutes and fascist-era chants.

Alemanno, a former neo-fascist youth leader, took 54% of the vote in a run-off on Sunday and Monday, crushing his rival, Francesco Rutelli, a deputy prime minister in the last, centre-left government.

Silvio Berlusconi, who won a general election earlier this month, welcomed the latest evidence of Italy's leap to the right by declaring: "We are the new Falange". Although he took care to wrap his remark in a classical context, his choice of words appeared to be a nod and a wink to his most extreme supporters.

The original Falange ? the word means "phalanx" ? was the Spanish fascist party, founded in the 1930s, which supplied Francisco Franco's dictatorship with its ideological underpinning.

The prime minister-elect's closest ally, Umberto Bossi, the Northern League leader, kept up the intimidating rhetoric, arriving for the first session of Italy's parliament warning of violence if the centre-left did not go along with his plans for federalism.

"I don't know what the left wants [but] we are ready," he told reporters. "If they want conflicts, I have 300,000 men always on hand."

On Monday night, the area around Rome's city hall rang to chants of "Duce! Duce!", the term adopted by Italy's dictator, Benito Mussolini, equivalent to the German "F?hrer". Supporters of the new mayor gave the fascist Roman straight-arm salutes.

Alemanno, however, has promised to be the mayor of all Romans. He yesterday sent telegrams to both the Pope and the Chief Rabbi. Rome's Jewish community was shaken by the prospect of a mayor with Alemanno's record. During the campaign, there was a protest aimed at him in the city's old Jewish ghetto, where many of the city's Jews still live.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/29/italy1

(btw - Alamanno is a former youth leader of the neo-fascist Italian Social Movement, the MSI)

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cries of 'Duce! Duce!' salute Rome's new mayor
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:32:11 AM »
Thanks for this, I had no idea this had happened.

I have a childhood friend whose father was British and Spanish, and he went to fight the fascists in the 30s. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.