Author Topic: Do as I say, not as I do  (Read 2443 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Do as I say, not as I do
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:47:13 AM »
1 house of Congress can't even manage a restaurant, and we have the left expecting DC to handle Healthcare for everyone?!?  Beyond insane    >:(

Senate Votes To Privatize Its Failing Restaurants

Year after year, decade upon decade, the U.S. Senate's network of restaurants has lost staggering amounts of money -- more than $18 million since 1993, according to one report, and an estimated $2 million this year alone, according to another.

The financial condition of the world's most exclusive dining hall and its affiliated Capitol Hill restaurants, cafeterias and coffee shops has become so dire that, without a $250,000 subsidy from taxpayers, the Senate won't make payroll next month.

The embarrassment of the Senate food service struggling like some neighborhood pizza joint has quietly sparked change previously unthinkable for Democrats. Last week, in a late-night voice vote, the Senate agreed to privatize the operation of its food service, a decision that would, for the first time, put it under the control of a contractor and all but guarantee lower wages and benefits for the outfit's new hires.

The House is expected to agree -- its food service operation has been in private hands since the 1980s -- and President Bush's signature on the bill would officially end a seven-month Democratic feud and more than four decades of taxpayer bailouts.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), chairman of the Rules and Administrations Committee, which oversees the operation of the Senate, said she had no choice.

"It's cratering," she said of the restaurant system. "Candidly, I don't think the taxpayers should be subsidizing something that doesn't need to be. There are parts of government that can be run like a business and should be run like businesses."

In a letter to colleagues, Feinstein said that the Government Accountability Office found that "financially breaking even has not been the objective of the current management due to an expectation that the restaurants will operate at a deficit annually."

But Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), speaking for the group of senators who opposed privatizing the restaurants, said that "you cannot stand on the Senate floor and condemn the privatization of workers, and then turn around and privatize the workers here in the Senate and leave them out on their own."

The Senate Restaurants, as the food service network is known, has a range of offerings, from the ornate Senate Dining Room on the first floor of the Capitol, where senators and their guests are served by staffers wearing jackets and ties, to the huge cafeteria in the Dirksen Building and various coffee shops throughout the Senate complex.

All told, they bring in more than $10 million a year in food sales but have turned a profit in just seven of their 44 years in business, according to the GAO.

In a masterful bit of understatement, Feinstein blamed "noticeably subpar" food and service. Foot traffic bears that out. Come lunchtime, many Senate staffers trudge across the Capitol and down into the basement cafeteria on the House side. On Wednesdays, the lines can be 30 or 40 people long.

House staffers almost never cross the Capitol to eat in the Senate cafeterias.

"It's so bad that the Senate hasn't yet figured out that House 'Taco Salad Wednesday' trumps any type of entree they have to offer," said Ron Bonjean, a former press secretary to both the House speaker and the Senate Republican leader.

"Those who think the House and Senate don't talk enough clearly haven't been in the Longworth cafeteria on the House side at lunchtime recently. Senate staffers have been flocking there for better food, more options, and you get some exercise to boot," said Brian Walsh, spokesman for Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.),who frequently dines on the other side of the Capitol.

In the past 10 years, only 20 new items have been added to the Senate menus. So rare are new entrees that last year's arrival of daily fresh-made sushi was treated in some senatorial quarters as if a new Nobu had opened in the Capitol dining room.

Even revenue in the once-profitable catering division has been decimated, as senators have increasingly sought waivers to bring in outside food for special events with constituents and private groups.

Operation of the House cafeterias was privatized in the 1980s by a Democratic-controlled Congress. Restaurant Associates of New York, the current House contractor, would take over the Senate facilities this fall. The company wins high praise from most staffers and lawmakers, who say they are pleased with the wide variety of new items offered every few months.

Most important to Feinstein, Restaurant Associates turns a substantial profit -- paying $1.2 million in commissions to the House since 2003. Company officials did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

The rules committee began exploring its outsourcing options in 2005, when Republicans controlled the chamber. When Democrats took power last year, Feinstein ordered several studies, including hiring a consultant to examine management practices, before deciding privatization was the only possibility.

In a closed-door meeting with Democrats in November, she was practically heckled by her peers for suggesting it, senators and aides said.

"I know what happens with privatization. Workers lose jobs, and the next generation of workers make less in wages. These are some of the lowest-paid workers in our country, and I want to help them," Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), a staunch labor union ally, said recently. The wages of the approximately 100 Senate food service workers average $37,000 annually.

Feinstein made another presentation May 7, warning senators that if they did not agree to turn over the operation to a private contractor, prices would be increased 25 percent across the board.

Eventually, Democrats agreed to pass legislation that includes guarantees for those who go to work for Restaurant Associates. They would retain their current salaries and federal health and pension benefits. Employees who choose to leave instead would receive buyout packages of as much as $25,000 -- paid by the Senate. Half the current employees are likely to take that deal.

New employees, however, will not receive federal benefits, though they will be allowed to unionize.

By one estimate, Restaurant Associates would turn a large profit within three years and would begin paying about $800,000 annually in commissions to the Senate.

In the final days of negotiations, Feinstein rolled her eyes and took a deep breath before explaining the ordeal that the Senate Restaurants had become for her.

"It's clearly not the sort of thing that I ran for the Senate to do," she said. "But somebody has to do it."

Article
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 05:01:20 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Do as I say, not as I do
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:42:50 AM »
I fail to see why there needs to be separate food services for the Senate and the House. They eat the same food, after all.

There is no reason why this should make a profit, but no reason for a deficit, either. Given a choice, a profitable situation would be best. None of these people, other than perhaps pages and unpaid interns (if there are any) deserve a subsidy.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:39:07 AM »
I remember an excellent lunch in the basement or maybe ground floor of the U.S. Capitol, where the prices were below market and the menu explained that the (Senate?) (House of Reps?) (Congress??) wanted its constituents to enjoy a wonderful choice of all-American foods and recipes at affordable prices.  It was an obvious subsidy to feed the visiting "owners" (and a few tourists like us) and nothing to remotely suggest that this operation would be run at a profit.  At those prices, it obviously could not.  I think I paid three or four dollars for a three-course roast turkey dinner with stuffing.  Leave it to the right wing to treat this as a stunning display of government enterprise "incompetence."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:01:10 PM »
So Tee's on record supporting the U.S. economy going belly up in a Universal Healthcare system.  I mean, there's no need to "run a profit", right?  Just tax "the rich" and "big oil" some more.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 12:15:30 PM »
I mean, there's no need to "run a profit", right?  Just tax "the rich" and "big oil" some more.

I doubt seriously that the Congressional dining rooms (and that is the topic at hand) are any major drain on the economy.

I spent several weeks doing research for my dissertation in the Library of Congress, and was unaware that the Congressional dining room was open to citizens. I ate some expensive, yet horrible food at a local restaurant once, then brown bagged it for the rest of the time.

Probably better than eating with Congress, as large meals make me lethargic, and some of the L of C staff gets annoyed when people doze at their desks.

I recall it took the staff about a week to get a book back to its proper place on the stacks, so I could check it out again. I met a fellow doing a dissertation on Tsarist literature in the park at lunch, and he had a stack permit from his congressman that claimed he was an aide. When he finished three days later, he gave me the stack permit and I could tool around the stacks, making my endeavors a lot more speedy.

After I was finished, I dropped off the permit at the Congressman's office, as requested.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:16:11 PM »
<<So Tee's on record supporting the U.S. economy going belly up in a Universal Healthcare system.  I mean, there's no need to "run a profit", right?  >>

In case you haven't noticed, the U.S. healthcare system runs enormous profits, leaves dozens of millions of U.S. citizens without healthcare and gives you, the nation that spends the most per capita on healthcare, the abysmally low ratings for longevity which you currently enjoy.

The aim of a healthcare system should primarily be delivery of health care to the people.  So, one would think, the richest nation should enjoy the highest measurable standards of healthcare.  But it doesn't.  Far from it.

<<Just tax "the rich" and "big oil" some more.>>

Tax everyone, and if you don't get enough, tax the rich more.  And more.  And more.  And guess what?  They'll STILL be rich.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:37:52 PM »
<<So Tee's on record supporting the U.S. economy going belly up in a Universal Healthcare system.  I mean, there's no need to "run a profit", right?  >>

In case you haven't noticed, the U.S. healthcare system runs enormous profits

And despite its flaws, is the best healthcare system on the globe.  Foreigners in MUCH greater #'s come HERE, in any way they can for their healthcare, vs Americans hightailing it to someplace like....oh let's Canada.  So, to placate your notion of so many that are uninsured, you have no problem seeing a country wide version of the Senate's restaurant collapse, just so long as "everyone is covered"

I doubt seriously that the Congressional dining rooms (and that is the topic at hand) are any major drain on the economy.

Not the point now is it.  The point is the utter incopotence of the Federal government to simply run a restaurant, with the left salivating at the idea of applying that level of incomptence to every citizen of this country, via UHC.  SS...going bankrupt, Medicare...going bankrupt...Katrina.  This level of absurd disconnect is truely staggering to behold

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 04:49:05 PM »
This is not a valid argument unless the government has declared that it is going to hire the Senate dining room staff to manage health care.
No one has proposed this, have they?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Odds are, they would hire the same people that now work for Humana, Blue Cross, Aetna and so on.

The Social Security Administration seems to be quite pleasant and efficient to deal with, in my experience.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
  Unfortunately we have developed the habit of allowing Demogogues and the rich to write out tax laws.

My use of the word "and " should in no way imply, that rich persons writeing tax law are not themselves demogogues.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:04:09 AM »
My use of the word "and " should in no way imply, that rich persons writing tax law are not themselves demagogues.

================================
Most rich people are rather poor at demagoguery. Steve Forbes was perhaps the most successful demagogue who was also a rich guy. He had this clever flat tax plan that would have freed a few people like Steve Forbes from income taxes forever. Donald Trump would like to be a demagogue, but most people prefer to stare at the wonder that is his hair than listen to what he has to say. Besides, although it might be fun to watch the Donald fire people, being fired, even by the Donald, being fired is not a fun experience for most people. Voting for the Donald would be like choosing Sweeney Todd as your family butcher.

Ross Perot was very rich and tried his hand at it, but observe how he didn't make it beyond third place despite all that money. Something about his nasal little voice and gnomelike stature as well as that Texarkana twang that made him seem like less than a genius to most voters, I think. The evidence that he was a financial genius was great, but God chose to put him in an unappealing package. He was just weird. You could make blue Coca Cola, but it wouldn't sell well no matter how good it tasted. Ross Perot was like blue Coca-Cola. Possibly good, but the weirdness was too much a part of the package. Steve Forbes was like that to a lesser degree.

Rich people prefer to hire demagogues rather than learn a new skill set. Juniorbush and Cheney, Mitch McConnell, and of course Rush and O'Reilly and Hannity and those bozos are far better at verbal skills than a toad like Richard Mellon Scaife  and the Hunt brothers and their ilk, who prefer to hide in the shadows.

Why learn how to cook if you have enough moola to hire Chef Paul Prudhomme?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:31:24 AM »
My use of the word "and " should in no way imply, that rich persons writing tax law are not themselves demagogues.

================================
Most rich people are rather poor at demagoguery. Steve Forbes was perhaps the most successful demagogue who was also a rich guy. He had this clever flat tax plan that would have freed a few people like Steve Forbes from income taxes forever. Donald Trump would like to be a demagogue, but most people prefer to stare at the wonder that is his hair than listen to what he has to say. Besides, although it might be fun to watch the Donald fire people, being fired, even by the Donald, being fired is not a fun experience for most people. Voting for the Donald would be like choosing Sweeney Todd as your family butcher.

Ross Perot was very rich and tried his hand at it, but observe how he didn't make it beyond third place despite all that money. Something about his nasal little voice and gnomelike stature as well as that Texarkana twang that made him seem like less than a genius to most voters, I think. The evidence that he was a financial genius was great, but God chose to put him in an unappealing package. He was just weird. You could make blue Coca Cola, but it wouldn't sell well no matter how good it tasted. Ross Perot was like blue Coca-Cola. Possibly good, but the weirdness was too much a part of the package. Steve Forbes was like that to a lesser degree.

Rich people prefer to hire demagogues rather than learn a new skill set. Juniorbush and Cheney, Mitch McConnell, and of course Rush and O'Reilly and Hannity and those bozos are far better at verbal skills than a toad like Richard Mellon Scaife  and the Hunt brothers and their ilk, who prefer to hide in the shadows.

Why learn how to cook if you have enough moola to hire Chef Paul Prudhomme?

How many federal level Legislators are not rich?

I know a lot of them promise to soak the rich , but the tax law tends to remain loopholey somehow.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »
This is not a valid argument unless the government has declared that it is going to hire the Senate dining room staff to manage health care.
No one has proposed this, have they?  Odds are, they would hire the same people that now work for Humana, Blue Cross, Aetna and so on

Didn't Ami try to warn you about assuming things you have no frelling clue on?  Back on point, it's the FED running things

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 12:50:54 AM »
Didn't Ami try to warn you about assuming things you have no frelling clue on?  Back on point, it's the FED running things

======================================================
How is that? The government has no universal health care yet, so how is it that you assume that?

I could give a damn about what anyone warned me about. I take orders from no one, least of all you and Ami.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 11:53:48 AM »

======================================================
How is that? The government has no universal health care yet, so how is it that you assume that?

Ummm, how does someone assume that the Federal government running UHC is going to be run by the Federal government??  Ooooo, that's a hard one

::)

I could give a damn about what anyone warned me about. I take orders from no one, least of all you and Ami.

Hey, no one here is ordering you to do anything.  Just trying to help you not look so ignorant

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 12:32:58 PM »
Ummm, how does someone assume that the Federal government running UHC is going to be run by the Federal government??  Ooooo, that's a hard one

==============================
Your suggestion was that health care was somehow going to be run by the people who managed the Senate dining room. I find this to be extremely unlikely.

You started off with the silly remark that because the Senate dining facility was poorly administered, a government healthcare system would be poorly administered. This is feeble logic, for these are different facilities with little in common.

The government would hire people with experience in the industry, most likely those who worked for the HMO's and PPO's when these were private. In any event, I am confident that a government healthcare system would be staffed by far more people with experience in the healthcare industry than it would by former workers in the Senate dining facility.

In the event you do not know, Americans pay MORE per person for healthcare per capita than anyone else on the planet, and despite the fact that other countries have government run healthcare systems, their citizens pay far less and many of them are healthier.

I do not find your intellect to be superior in any way, incidentally. Your ego, however, appears to be greatly inflated.