Author Topic: And people wonder why everyone should understand machines before they use them..  (Read 1639 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Woman Calls Orem Police To Free Her From Her Locked Car

Automatic car features are supposed to make life easier for motorists, but they may be leaving some people without the know-how to do things the old-fashioned way. That's what happened to a driver in Utah County who became trapped inside her own car.

A woman called Orem police Friday afternoon needing help because her battery died and she was locked inside her car.

When police arrived, they found the woman sitting in the car, unable to get herself out. She couldn't hear the officers instructions through the rolled-up windows so she motioned to them to call her on her cell phone, according to police.

Once officers were able to talk to the woman on the phone, they were able to tell her how to manually operate the slide lock mechanism on the inside door panel to open the door and free herself.

"I'm just glad she had a cell phone to call for help," an officer said.

Original Article
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:18:10 AM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:

I'm not. That kind of stupid should not be in the gene pool.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:

I'm not. That kind of stupid should not be in the gene pool.

=======================================================
On one hand, I can sympathize with the view that this poor soul is just to damn dumb to reproduce, but on the other hand, it does seem a bit harsh to require her to suffocate or die of thirst and hunger trapped in her car just because she could not read the damned manual.

Perhaps they should free her, then have her neutered. That could be a compromise position, but I am sure there are many who might find that a bit harsh as well.

I have heard that several years ago, Toyota built some Camrys that would not open and locked people inside.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
...just because she could not read the damned manual.

More likely, would not; also likely, it was in the glove box.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I find it deeply weird that a person would buy a car so expensive that it will take them six years to actually own it, and never read the effing manual.

Most cars will last at least twice as long if you follow the prescribed maintenance schedules. You do not need to have the dealer do these, either.

fatman

I went for a camping trip Friday and Saturday up at Baker Lake.  The way that I like to camp is to load up my boat with all the camping equipment and whatever friends are coming and head across the lake to set up camp.  This minimizes the chance that my alcoholic friends will keep neighboring campsites awake, and minimizes contact with law enforcement which may be looking for little technicalities to write citations for.

Anyhow, as I was putting the boat in, I saw a younger guy in his early 20's in a pretty nice Boston Whaler with his girlfriend/wife, staring at the outboard, a nice 60hp Merc.  I asked him if he was having problems and he said "Nope, we're fine".  So I continue to load the gear, and about a half hour later when I'm getting ready to start the boat and head out, I ask him again if everything is okay.  He looks at the outboard, looks at me, and goes "I don't know how to start it".  We're talking a $10,000 boat and $4,000 outboard here.  I asked him if he was borrowing or renting it, he says that he bought it last year.

So I go over and look at the boat.  There are no oars inside, no PFD's, nothing.  I'm thinking this guy is really really stupid or just plain crazy.  I ask him if he has the manual, he pulls it out of the compartment and I went through it and explained to him how to choke the motor before starting, the importance of having oars in the boat in case of a breakdown (they're the spare tires for a boat) and the legality of not having PFD's in the boat if Fish and Wildlife or the Whatcom County Sheriff stops him.

At that point, my friends came back and we hopped into my boat and headed across the lake, while they were setting up camp I was watching the Boston Whaler people through my binocs, they sat in that boat doing nothing for 2 hours, then retrailered it and left.

When I asked the guy what he did for work, no kidding, he said that he was pursuing an engineering degree at the University of Washington.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I said this before and I`ll say it again
the youth in america is not my competition
their the reason I work overtime.
strangely I don`t met many people that good with computers
and i live near silicon valley.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
When I asked the guy what he did for work, no kidding, he said that he was pursuing an engineering degree at the University of Washington.

My brother in law, when he was in the Army, headed an engineering team designing the Paladin self-propelled howitzer (see picture below).

One of the ladies on the team was an engineer, graduated from University of Pennsylvania, if I recall the story correctly. Anyway, she buys a new Honda, shows it off to everyone, etc. A few months later, my brother in law is talking to her, and asks her about her new car. She says that it's making a weird noise and she needs to take it into the dealer. Anyway, he queries her a bit about what was happening and it turns out that she had like 15,000 miles on it and never changed the oil.

fatman

It just makes me wonder how some people manage to get through life without knowing the basics.  I do a lot of computer gaming too, it's amazing if you read the online game forums how many people can't take an hour and read the manual that came with a game.

I had to change my sister's oil once, she managed to fill the entire crankcase up with oil and couldn't get the car to start.  She works in the local prosecutor's office as a trial attorney.

As a people/society, are we lazy or just plain stupid?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
One of the ladies on the team was an engineer, graduated from University of Pennsylvania, if I recall the story correctly. Anyway, she buys a new Honda, shows it off to everyone, etc. A few months later, my brother in law is talking to her, and asks her about her new car. She says that it's making a weird noise and she needs to take it into the dealer. Anyway, he queries her a bit about what was happening and it turns out that she had like 15,000 miles on it and never changed the oil.

====================
15,000 miles is rather a lot to put on a car in a few months.

There is a website where they tested the qualities of Mobil-1 on a Camaro, and after 12K, it was still well within acceptable parameters. Of course, Mobil-1 is a full synthetic, and would be a lot better at 12K than dino-oil would be at 15K. I imagine a Honda revs a bit higher as well.

www.bobistheroilguy.com has more than any normal person might want to know about oil.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
oh yeah
from personnal experience engineers are not exactly good with they`re cars
i had to do the maintenance with all my friends cars till jiffy lube moved in.
it`s a bad assumtion they take care of thier cars.
but if it`s a hybrid,totally different story.
some like to tweek thier driving habits to maximized thier mileage
I like that compture power button on those prius.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I had to change my sister's oil once, she managed to fill the entire crankcase up with oil and couldn't get the car to start.  She works in the local prosecutor's office as a trial attorney.

As a people/society, are we lazy or just plain stupid?

========================================
I don't think we are either. They don't teach you diddly about automobile maintenance in school. It is logically to fill the gas tank, so why not fill the motor as well? The newer cars do not even have a dipstick, so getting the correct amount of oil right without reading the manual is not likely. Most smaller US cars use 5 quarts, including the filter, but Mercedes Diesels use 8.5 liters, which for some reason means that you never should add more than 7.0 or 7.5 without checking the dipstick, running the motor for a minute or so, then reading it again.

It is probably laziness that keeps people from reading the manual.
It might be stupidity as well as laziness after you screwed up once before for lack of reading it.

Whenever I buy a car, I immediately have a spare key made for my wallet and buy a Haynes DIY manual for it.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
The newer cars do not even have a dipstick, so getting the correct amount of oil right without reading the manual is not likely.

What model car does not have a dipstick?

I have bought 3 cars in the last 7 years and they all had dipsticks.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
What model car does not have a dipstick?

The new BMW's and Benzes have no dipstick, and haven't had one for several years. There is an oil sensor that tells you when to have an oil service.

I agree that this is not a good idea.