Author Topic: 527  (Read 2890 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« on: June 24, 2008, 05:42:23 AM »
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91748755

The match between Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain is shaping up as the most unevenly financed presidential race since 1972.

That's the year that Richard Nixon ran for re-election, raised unprecedented sums of money and spawned the campaign scandals that led Congress to enact public financing.

Obama announced on Thursday that he won't take public funds for the general-election campaign. McCain says he will. McCain will get more than $84 million from the government for the two-month fall campaign. But Obama's turbo-charged fundraising operation can leave that in the dust.

Sen. Barack Obama this week blamed his decision to reject public financing on 527 groups that work on behalf of John McCain. Jonathan Martin of Politico says there really aren't any major 527s working against Obama. Michele Norris talks to Martin.

In 2007, when Sen. Obama was raising the money that was essential for him to become a serious candidate, "54 percent of his contributions came in contributions of a thousand dollars or more, and much of that money was raised by bundlers," he says

Bundlers are people who solicit friends and colleagues for checks that they bundle for delivery to the campaign. Wertheimer says Obama wouldn't be where he is without them.

"He has not created a parallel system of public financing," he says.

But Obama has created by far the largest system of small, voluntary donors that American politics has ever seen. It's changing the landscape for 2008 and beyond.

On Thursday, McCain immediately accused Obama of breaking his word. McCain's campaign said Obama had promised to negotiate with McCain so that they'd both take public money and limit spending by their national party committees.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: 527
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:45:08 AM »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 07:36:24 AM »
<<On Thursday, McCain immediately accused Obama of breaking his word. McCain's campaign said Obama had promised to negotiate with McCain so that they'd both take public money and limit spending by their national party committees.>>

For a promise that McCain regards as "a big deal, a very big deal," McCain is remarkably short on specifics - who made the promise, who was it made to, what were the exact words, when was it made and if it's "such a big deal," how come McCain didn't get it in writing?

Methinks he's as full of shit on this one as he is on his claims that he was "tortured" in Viet Nam.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:37:50 AM »
For a promise that McCain regards as "a big deal, a very big deal," McCain is remarkably short on specifics - who made the promise, who was it made to, what were the exact words, when was it made and if it's "such a big deal," how come McCain didn't get it in writing?

The exact words, in writing, were:

I have been a long-time advocate for public financing of campaigns combined with free television and radio time as a way to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests. I introduced public financing legislation in the Illinois State Senate, and am the only 2008 candidate to have sponsored Senator Russ Feingold?s (DWI) bill to reform the presidential public financing system. In February 2007, I proposed a novel way to preserve the strength of the public financing system in the 2008 election. My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and Senator John McCain (r-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.
Link to Document

Methinks he's as full of shit on this one as he is on his claims that he was "tortured" in Viet Nam.

Seems like you're the one "full of shit on this one".
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »
It is not really true. The Republican Party is one thing, and the McCain for President Committee is another. The Republican Party, like any party, can receive more money per donor than the presidential campaign, and has whole bundles of money. Besides, considering the gargantuan and mlultiple f*ckups of the Juniorbush administration, it is hard to imagine why anyone would give them a dime. They DESERVE to be underfunded. No party has ever deserved so rotundly to go down in smoke and flames.

So let McCain bitch about the unfairness of it all. He likes being an underdog, away.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:33:14 AM »
So it doesn't bother you that Obama's word is worth spit?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »
Absolutely ridiculous.  He stated his position in November 2007 for an interested citizens' group and promised McCain nothing.  In November 07, that was how he planned to pursue the issues of financing his campaign.  As circumstances changed, his plans for financing changed.

I would hate like hell for someone like you to be the CFO for any public company in which I was invested.  If you're so inflexible as to be unable to adapt your financing plans to the situational changes that your company encounters from one day to the next, I can foresee nothing but disaster for the company.  Is that the kind of performance you'd expect to see from your President?

A guy like McCain who flip-flops from anti-torture to pro-torture, from anti-drilling to drilling, from the Christian Right as agents of intolerance to the Christian Right as someone whose endorsement must be sought - - I can see where this guy has serious consistency issues.  No wonder he tries so desperately to build a mountain out of Obama's little molehill.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 02:49:54 PM »
Obama has broken no laws, and you can be sure that if McCain had the same advantage as a fundraiser as Obama has, he would do the same thing. Being as McCain's wife is a zillionaire and the GOP has tons of money that they can spend on him, I don;t see this as any sort of unfair.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 05:07:57 PM »
Absolutely ridiculous.  He stated his position in November 2007 for an interested citizens' group and promised McCain nothing.  In November 07, that was how he planned to pursue the issues of financing his campaign.  As circumstances changed, his plans for financing changed.

He promised the people something, and then went back on his word.

I didn't make the pledge so your remarks about me carry no weight.

This isn't about McCain.

It is about Obama going back on his word.

fatman

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
This isn't about McCain.

It is about Obama going back on his word.

Is anyone really surprised?  Hell, they're both putting out more flip-flops than Wal-Mart.  PAU

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
The only thing that surprises me is the apparent double standard at play.

But to be truly honest that doesn't surprise as much as disappoint.

fatman

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:42:28 PM »
The only thing that surprises me is the apparent double standard at play.

But to be truly honest that doesn't surprise as much as disappoint.

I hear that BT.  And you had such high hopes for this election.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 06:03:13 PM »
The only thing that surprises me is the apparent double standard at play.  But to be truly honest that doesn't surprise as much as disappoint.

Precisely.  I've always been on record as stating candidates should be able to raise as much as they want, provided full disclosure of where the $$'s coming from.  Obama should absolutely want to get the most bang for his buck, and optiong out is the right thing to do. 

But Bt's nailed it on the head, both the double standard by those giving Obama a complete pass (outside of Brass), while decrying how terrible it was for Bush to have done so in the previous 2 election cycles, and in the disappointment that Obama is again demonstrating how he's simply just another politician
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

fatman

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 06:06:18 PM »
You don't get to be President by being anything other than a politician.  It used to be a general could get in every so often, but that went the way of Eisenhower.

I wish people would realize that.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 06:28:16 PM »
Why are there so few people interested in forming 527 groups in favor of McCain?