Author Topic: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark  (Read 56827 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »

When the enemy is met on the feild the first shot counts most , I think our guys are going to go to war and have to read a Miranda warning to peoiple who willbe shootinmg more than listening.

You're assuming all detainees are captured on the battlefield. That is an incorrect assumption.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 02:13:39 AM »

When the enemy is met on the feild the first shot counts most , I think our guys are going to go to war and have to read a Miranda warning to peoiple who willbe shootinmg more than listening.

You're assuming all detainees are captured on the battlefield. That is an incorrect assumption.

Are you assumeing that none of them are?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 02:16:31 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080704/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_guantanamo_bay

Late last month, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled that the military had improperly labeled Huzaifa Parhat, a Chinese Muslim, as an enemy combatant. The court said Parhat deserved a new hearing or should be released. But the court deftly avoided saying where he should be released ? an indication that the courts expect the executive branch to wrestle with that decision.

Glenn Sulmasy, a national security fellow at Harvard University, said if the matter remains in the hands of civilian courts, there is an element of truth to the White House warning that detainees could be released in the United States. But he said that while it's possible, it's not probable.

I am thinking that a half way house should be established.

Across the street from the home of each of five Justices.l

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 03:49:27 AM »

Of course not. But I will point you back to http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/06/17/yoo/.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 07:50:45 AM »
UP

Plane:

That's your response? That's weak, Plane. As has been pointed out over and over, many of these folks were not taken on the battlefield. They were pulled out of their homes, or taken as they travelled, or wherever, by other armed men who were looking to collect rewards for turning in anyone they could claim were aiding Al Qaeda.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 07:54:07 AM »
The ones that are taken on the battlefeild will get this same right.

So you shouldn't be assumeing so much about my assumptions.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 12:25:15 PM »

Plane, most of what you seem to talk about, regarding this and similar topics, is capturing people on the battlefield and how 50 released detainees have returned to the battlefield. (I still have yet to see any evidence for that last one.) And you ridiculed the notion of detainees having any rights by talking about soldiers reading Miranda rights on the battlefield. You seem, so far as I can tell, to give no acknowledgment that many of the detainees are not captured on the battlefield. So I'm not assuming anything. I made a reasonable conclusion based on your comments.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 05:22:50 PM »

Plane, most of what you seem to talk about, regarding this and similar topics, is capturing people on the battlefield and how 50 released detainees have returned to the battlefield. (I still have yet to see any evidence for that last one.) And you ridiculed the notion of detainees having any rights by talking about soldiers reading Miranda rights on the battlefield. You seem, so far as I can tell, to give no acknowledgment that many of the detainees are not captured on the battlefield. So I'm not assuming anything. I made a reasonable conclusion based on your comments.

If they are not dangerous we don't need to capture them at all. The time of finding them grouped on the battlefeild is nearly over, perhaps this entire discussion will be moot soon.

The ones presently in custody are due trial now? They can't simply be released like the previously released ones?

If 400 have been released and about fifty have been killed in fighting the rates of recidivism is pretty high and I see a prefrence for release when evidence is thin on the part of the military authoritys.

Now there will be less leeway I expect captured combatants to remain in custody longer , trial being "speedy " is not an American strong suit.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 08:11:39 PM »

If they are not dangerous we don't need to capture them at all.

So then do you advocate the government having solid and undeniable proof to present in court that someone is guilty of supporting terrorism before taking the person into custody? I would be surprised if you do.

If 400 have been released and about fifty have been killed in fighting

Source?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2008, 08:16:10 PM »

If they are not dangerous we don't need to capture them at all.

So then do you advocate the government having solid and undeniable proof to present in court that someone is guilty of supporting terrorism before taking the person into custody? I would be surprised if you do.

No I am starting to think that we shouldn't do anything at all, you are perfectly right , if we leave them alone there is no wy they can kill so many of us that we can't just ignore them.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 11:43:19 AM »

No I am starting to think that we shouldn't do anything at all, you are perfectly right , if we leave them alone there is no wy they can kill so many of us that we can't just ignore them.

Okay, Plane, you know full well I am not and have not advocated that we do nothing. We have had that discussion before, you and I. So I'll see if I can put this in terms you might be willing to understand. Stick it in your eye.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »

Okay, Plane, you know full well I am not and have not advocated that we do nothing.

remind us. what is it exactly that you advocate we do?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »

Okay, Plane, you know full well I am not and have not advocated that we do nothing. We have had that discussion before, you and I. So I'll see if I can put this in terms you might be willing to understand. Stick it in your eye.

No longer a moderator....

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahh...

How sweet.

Doing nothing at all has a lot of advantage over doing something that won't work at all.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »

remind us. what is it exactly that you advocate we do?

I recommended that we basically hunt down the people who have actually done something to us, leave them no ground to hide in, go after their persons, their property and even their families if necessary. It would get us the people responsible without a lot of scooping up random people and holding them indefinitely. It will show the people responsible as weak and unable to protect their lives and their honor. It would narrow our efforts to straightforward goals with clearly defined ends rather than leaving us looking like a bully trying to control everything.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 09:16:39 PM by Universe Prince »

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 09:14:58 PM »

Doing nothing at all has a lot of advantage over doing something that won't work at all.

You mean like fighting terrorism by imprisoning people based on hearsay and holding them indefinitely? I'm pretty sure that isn't exactly going to inspire the terrorists to dislike us less or hinder their recruitment efforts.