Author Topic: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark  (Read 56876 times)

Cynthia

Re: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark
« Reply #180 on: July 18, 2008, 11:02:18 PM »
The war should have been focused in the Afghani arena. .....AND--- AND, hey perhaps Obama would have been caught by now.

You meant Osama, I presume. And to capture Osama means going into Pakistan, which i also assume you are advocating.

Then again maybe not. Hard to tell sometimes.

LOL...slip....I have advocated thatwe invade Afghanistan from the getgo. Not invade Iraq.My points with regard to this issue have been clear from the getgo, as well, BT.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:06:16 PM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »
Getgo meaning ...not Gitmo! lol

Hey, you know, I wanted this war to be won years ago. I thought we would be in and out of Iraq after Saddam was captured.
We're not.

There are still factors hiding in the hills.

Bin Laden and
Taliban rebels.

Al Queda

and even  more in # than before...
hmmm, that should say something about the glory of a victory. This "war"  is going to probably turn out to be a huge defeat in other ways than just the loss of lives. ----Economics, reputation in the world----etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

God, bless our etc's
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 11:19:48 PM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=46305

The number of terror attacks has increased from 969 in 2006 to 1,127 last year, and the number of people killed, injured or kidnapped as the result of terrorism rose from 3,557 in 2006 to 4,673 in 2007. These are grim statistics. The Taliban operations have become increasingly aggressive and sophisticated, and their ability to obtain al Qaeda support and recruit soldiers from the Taliban base of rural Pashtuns appear to be undiminished. It is also being alleged that the Taliban are funding their terror activities with money from supporters in neighbouring Pakistan, from narcotics trafficking and kidnappings (which has increased in recent weeks).

Grim,indeed.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #183 on: July 19, 2008, 12:16:11 AM »
"Yes, we all know what you said." I think common sense, Xo, produces the context that in time, our troops may only be in Afghanistan"

First of all, Sirs, who are the "we"zzy Froggies in your pocket?

What??

You're a bit patronizin', with all due respect.... . ( :(So much for cleaning your slate.)

So much for giving me a gentle reminder vs imediately getting snide    :-\

I personally am glad to see how effective the surge has been...so much so that Obama has had to do a complete 180 in his rhetoric, and had to scrap his original position regarding the surge, from his website.  Gotta love that conviction."

The war should have been focused in the Afghani arena. .....AND--- AND, hey perhaps Obama would have been caught by now.  DO Ya THink??

I think Michele caught Obama,  But more to the point, Obama's rhetoric and website had made it clear that the surge would do nothing, and would more than likely make things substantially worse in Iraq.  I even heard him claim how any military leader would tell you the same, something along those lines.  He was about as wrong as wrong can be.  In fact most got it wrong.  Want to know who pegged the surge as would work?  Yep, McCain.  One of the few who actually got it right.  But do you see any MSM coverage referencing that fact?  Nooooooooo, Obama's their man.  And his upcoming trip over there (ABOUT TIME, by the way), is nothing more than some pre-presidential photo-op blitz.  Picture after picture of his standing next to various leaders and commanders....probably with a fireplace in the backkground, and him wearing his Flag pin.  All made ripe for consumer consumption, courtesy of the MSM and press secretaries, Couric, Williams, and Company
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:41:38 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: July 19, 2008, 12:40:20 AM »
What would be the point of chaseing them entirely out of Afganistan?

Gee, Plane, is that what I said?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Cynthia

« Reply #185 on: July 19, 2008, 12:51:12 AM »
"Yes, we all know what you said." I think common sense, Xo, produces the context that in time, our troops may only be in Afghanistan"

First of all, Sirs, who are the "we"zzy Froggies in your pocket?

What??

You're a bit patronizin', with all due respect.... . ( :(So much for cleaning your slate.)

So much for giving me a gentle reminder vs imediately getting snide    :-\

I personally am glad to see how effective the surge has been...so much so that Obama has had to do a complete 180 in his rhetoric, and had to scrap his original position regarding the surge, from his website.  Gotta love that conviction."

The war should have been focused in the Afghani arena. .....AND--- AND, hey perhaps Obama would have been caught by now.  DO Ya THink??

I think Michele caught Obama,  But more to the point, Obama's rhetoric and website had made it clear that the surge would do nothing, and would more than likely make things substantially worse in Iraq.  I even heard him claim how any military leader would tell you the same, something along those lines.  He was about as wrong as wrong can be.  In fact most got it wrong.  Want to know who pegged the surge as would work?  Yep, McCain.  One of the few who actually got it right.  But do you see any MSM coverage referencing that fact?  Nooooooooo, Obama's their man.  And his upcoming trip over there (ABOUT TIME, by the way), is nothing more than some pre-presidential photo-op blitz.  Picture after picture of his standing next to various leaders and commanders....probably with a fireplace in the backkground, and him wearing his Flag pin.  All made ripe for consumer consumption, courtesy of the MSM and press secretaries, Couric, Williams, and Company

No....hon, That was a gentle reminder hon...yikes. DON't worry.

You don't seem to hear your own tone. You still tend to look down...as in WE all know what you meant.

Try; "Hey, I know what you meant".

That sort of tone makes it seem less of a gang up on one's post.

Gosh, you know, I have decided that this internet is not conducive for a well balanced tone/meaningful exchange. Let's blame it on the net. ha !!

Hey, Not to worry, Sirs.

Back to obama/osama ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:05:05 AM by Cynthia »

Cynthia

« Reply #186 on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:35 AM »
I think Michele caught Obama,  But more to the point, Obama's rhetoric and website had made it clear that the surge would do nothing, and would more than likely make things substantially worse in Iraq.  I even heard him claim how any military leader would tell you the same, something along those lines.  He was about as wrong as wrong can be.  In fact most got it wrong.  Want to know who pegged the surge as would work?  Yep, McCain.  One of the few who actually got it right.  But do you see any MSM coverage referencing that fact?  Nooooooooo, Obama's their man.  And his upcoming trip over there (ABOUT TIME, by the way), is nothing more than some pre-presidential photo-op blitz.  Picture after picture of his standing next to various leaders and commanders....probably with a fireplace in the backkground, and him wearing his Flag pin.  All made ripe for consumer consumption, courtesy of the MSM and press secretaries, Couric, Williams, and Company"

I have heard this as truth, sirs. Something I plan to look into. My reason for a Obama vote is clearly based on education. I have yet to explore the details of the other issues. Being honest.
BT would bash the crap out of me for this and call me a flip flopper, but I am trying to hear out all the facts in many of the issues that frame this nation's future.
My bottom line is the future, in the end. It's too late to look back.

nite for now. :)

Cindy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 12:56:13 AM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #187 on: July 19, 2008, 01:30:20 AM »
LOL...slip....I have advocated thatwe invade Afghanistan from the getgo. Not invade Iraq.My points with regard to this issue have been clear from the getgo, as well, BT.

Actually you aren't being clear. Should we go into Pakistan in pursuit of Osama or not? That being the justification for going in Afghanistan in the first place.

So again, are you advocating that we finish the mission by whatever means necessary?

Cynthia

« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2008, 01:41:46 AM »
Well, I thought you would come back ...so I am checking in one more time before I call it a night.

I hope to win the war on terror. Does that make it clear to you, BT?

If Obama is hiding in the basement of Trump Tower, we should go get him.

We could have spent time and money, energy and expertise on finding out where he hides. If it takes going into Pakistan now, so be it.

The means necessary .....finishing the hunt for Osama is key, yes. So, we find our lame ducks and put them in a row...those ducks that are still willing to fight. Sure, at this point, any sort of aggression/military option on the table that is clear and intelligent, works for me as long as we can find the terrorist who started this whole war----Bin Laden
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 01:43:23 AM by Cynthia »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: July 19, 2008, 02:13:45 AM »
Well, at least Cynthia is clear that this is a war
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #190 on: July 19, 2008, 02:18:03 AM »
The means necessary .....finishing the hunt for Osama is key, yes. So, we find our lame ducks and put them in a row...those ducks that are still willing to fight. Sure, at this point, any sort of aggression/military option on the table that is clear and intelligent, works for me as long as we can find the terrorist who started this whole war----Bin Laden

You might want to rethink your vote for Obama.

I doubt he has the makings of a war president.

Cynthia

« Reply #191 on: July 19, 2008, 02:38:10 AM »

Oh boy....can't seem to get away here.
Ok....I am clear that it is a war, but Sirs, it could have been planned a hell of a lot better.

That is a point I have made since 03!

There's more to this than semantics...war, conflict, etc.

This war is wrong in IRaq. I see that we could have spent so much more quality resources if we had planned this out without jumping. Bush and his "friends" jumped in too soon without a well planned strategy. That's clearly going to be my stance ......whether the future brings about change and security....that's a new issue now.

Ok fellas...I guess I am hittin' the sack for sure. ;)

Good to have a discussion....XO, HP and the rest are far better qualified to make this point, than I.

But, I do understand that reflection and assessment is key in educating a child as it is planning a war. '

The war in Iraq was not well planned. Period.

Afghanistan and the Taliban are next on the docket. Call it a war or a catching up to do conflict.

Nite.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: July 19, 2008, 02:41:48 AM »

Oh boy....can't seem to get away here.  Ok....I am clear that it is a war, but Sirs, it could have been planned a hell of a lot better.

Show me a war that's been run perfectly......or even well.  A point that's been made thru the ages of warfare

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: July 19, 2008, 06:26:18 AM »
What would be the point of chaseing them entirely out of Afganistan?

Gee, Plane, is that what I said?

Oh , I missed it where you posted that attacking in Afganistan would never have been enough , because there were large elements of Al Queda outside of Afganistan in the first place.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2008, 06:29:18 AM »
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=46305

The number of terror attacks has increased from 969 in 2006 to 1,127 last year, and the number of people killed, injured or kidnapped as the result of terrorism rose from 3,557 in 2006 to 4,673 in 2007. These are grim statistics. The Taliban operations have become increasingly aggressive and sophisticated, and their ability to obtain al Qaeda support and recruit soldiers from the Taliban base of rural Pashtuns appear to be undiminished. It is also being alleged that the Taliban are funding their terror activities with money from supporters in neighbouring Pakistan, from narcotics trafficking and kidnappings (which has increased in recent weeks).

Grim,indeed.

The entire surge was within the year we are still within.

These figures do not properly reflect the trend , the illusion is produced that there is an increase by includeing the time before the surge and the surge itself.

Break it down into smaller units of time and the down ward trend is very apparent.