Author Topic: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark  (Read 56898 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Hunting of the (terrorist) Snark
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2008, 04:07:01 PM »
It sounds like a grand plan. And if we were not in Iraq, or ending our presence in Iraq, I might be more inclined to approve.

But we are in Iraq. Have been for awhile. But we have been in Afghanistan longer. And it is that mission that is charged with tracking down Osama,

If i understand you correctly, you are saying we shouldn't go into Pakistan because we don't have the troop strength. I think it is more complicated than that as it could completely destabilize an unstable country and the reward is not worth the risk.

Okay, so now that you've got the "my reason is better than your reason" bit out of the way, if we were not concerned about destabilizing Iraq, why the frak are we now to be concerned about destabilizing Pakistan? Anyway, I'm not talking about going to war with Pakistan. I'm talking about hunting down people who are responsible for attacking us. The Pakistan government seems willing, at least on the surface, to try to do something to stop terrorism. So we tell them we're going to hunt down people responsible for a terrorist attack on the U.S. not go to war with the country. But I know full well that hunt would take a lot of manpower. So we send troops into Pakistan. And then we chase people into Tajikistan or China or India. So then, by your plan, we have to leave troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, and then more troops into some other country. And maybe some country after that. So yes, troop strength is an issue that we need to consider before we attempt to leave troops everywhere.

I get that you're trying to imply that my suggestion for what we could do is somehow naive or unrealistic. But it isn't. I'm not saying what I suggest would be easy at all. I know what many of the problems would be. One of them would be convincing people who think like you do that full scale war is not the best way to address the problem.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2008, 04:35:26 PM »
I get that you're trying to imply that my suggestion for what we could do is somehow naive or unrealistic. But it isn't. I'm not saying what I suggest would be easy at all. I know what many of the problems would be. One of them would be convincing people who think like you do that full scale war is not the best way to address the problem.

Actually I don't think that at all. What i do think is that even with special ops troops chasing the Taliban and Al Queda into Pakistan a whole new can of worms would open up, And i doubt the incursions would be able to be kept covert because there are just too many unnamed high level sources and Seymour Hirshes who would blow the lid on the operations for political gain and Pakistan would be forced to respond unfavorably in order to save face.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2008, 06:20:21 PM »

What i do think is that even with special ops troops chasing the Taliban and Al Queda into Pakistan a whole new can of worms would open up,

Yes. Wholly unlike the (sarcasm ahead) problem free program we have in place now.

And i doubt the incursions would be able to be kept covert because there are just too many unnamed high level sources and Seymour Hirshes who would blow the lid on the operations for political gain and Pakistan would be forced to respond unfavorably in order to save face.

Yes, that might be true. I'm not suggesting there won't be hurdles to overcome. But hunting down people responsible for attacking us is very different PR issue than preemptive war and seeing how many people we can incarcerate indefinitely. Politics is politics and someone always going to f--- the system for personal gain. I have no illusions about that. That doesn't mean, however, we cannot have, or don't need, a better and more effective method for dealing with terrorists who attack us.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
Yes. Wholly unlike the (sarcasm ahead) problem free program we have in place now.

My bad. I thought you were interested in discussing solutions.

Cynthia

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »

oy ::)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »

On the contrary. My bad for thinking you were adult enough to handle sarcasm.

Actually, I am sure you are adult enough. But if you want to be superior about it, I'm only going to throw it back in your face.

Anyway, give me a break. Like your participation in a discussion with me is anything other than an exercise in you trying to point out how I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't even exchange words with you to argue with you any more. You don't argue. You criticize. I exchange words with you for the opportunity to present ideas and arguments for others who may be watching.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2008, 12:47:44 AM »
I'm sorry. Where did i criticize you in this thread?

Cynthia

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2008, 02:21:43 AM »

Wow, an apology.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2008, 02:39:11 AM »
Wow, an apology.

No it wasn't. It was a direct question.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2008, 02:58:56 AM »

Ok lets see....
I recommended that we basically hunt down the people who have actually done something to us,
(This is the first part of the attack on Afganistan and has been constant ever since)

Yes, and now we seem engaged in stamping out poppy fields. I doubt the effectiveness of this in hunting down terrorists.
Poppys arn't a sideshow , they are financeing.

leave them no ground to hide in,

(except where American  authoritys are not welcome?)

Not what I said. But I see you have no evidence of Bush doing this.

You seem to be vague on this , are you thinking that leaveing Saddam alone on his Iraq throne would have produced no hideing place for terrorists? Saddam had terrorists under his roof and could have made room for more. Packistan will be a lot tougher than Iraq when we fight there , better to start with the easyer ones .

go after their persons, their property and even their families if necessary.

(Ok takeing hostages is new , but arresting as many as we can find and freezeing the assets of every contributor is underway.)

But we're not arresting as many as we can find. That is part of the problem. We're simply arresting anyone accused of terrorism, scooping people and trying to hold them indefinitely regardless of whether they are terrorists or not. This is not the way to slow down terrorist recruiting. Saying we're arresting as many as we can find is sort of like you being arrested for child molestation because some person with a grudge against you merely accused you to the police and then saying "well the police are just arresting all the child molesters they can find". That is so completely not what we're doing.

You are confuseing me a lot here on this one , you would arrest people more effectively how and discern the proper ones better how? I really can't see how you have a gripe to make on the ehnergy expended or the direction of it , our FBI CIA and Armed Forces have arrested everyone that MIGHT be a problem and let most of them go again . I don't think you have a better methjod in mind , but if you do go on and mention it.

It would get us the people responsible without a lot of scooping up random people and holding them indefinitely.
(I thoughtr you wanted the familys?How do you spot them better? )

Perhaps you are overlooking the word random.

No, there is not any randomness now , and I havent seen you mention a better method of finding thed proper people to arrest yet. Arresting  the suspects mothers woould cause the mother of all Habeas Corpus problems wouldn't it?

It will show the people responsible as weak and unable to protect their lives and their honor.
(Good good.....how does Bush disagree with this?)

What the frell does agreeing have to do with it? Your job is to show me that he's done it. You said he did, so show me.
George Bush has over seen the shooting dead of about half of the Al Queda membership , I have to suppose that a lot of desertion is going on , I still think that your assertion is made first and is unsupported , especially by facts.

It would narrow our efforts to straightforward goals with clearly defined ends rather than leaving us looking like a bully trying to control everything.

(What no nation building?  If you leave a power vacuum you will be invited back a few years later.)

Who said we had to leave a power vacuum? But no, no nation building. I'm not talking about going to war with each country where terrorists hide. (We would have to make war on ourselves.) I'm talking about simply going after the people who have attacked us.

Your comments lead me to think you're not really paying attention to what I said. You seem to be basing your counterargument more on your own assumptions that on what I said.

Without Nation building you do leave a power vacuum , this follows naturally , and the winner of the resulting struggle being reasonable or freindly would be miraculous. Far better to do a bit of nation building than to leave a mess that would invite us back to fight again later.

I don't think you are paying attention to what you have been saying, I can only spot two minor differences between your proposals and the actual program of the administration. You would like to invade Packistan instead of takeing advantage of Packistani co-operation and you would leave Saddam alive and in controll .

Then you would go after familys of suspects , what ,more than the suspects themselves?

Given the choices availible I disagree with your choice of attacking Packistan instead of Iraq, Packistan is tougher than Iraq by an order of magnitude , enlisting the aid of Packistani authoritys has been dissapointing in lots of ways , but it is better than fighting 100% of Packistan. Iraq was weak and only took a small effort to effect regime change, Saddam at our back demanding his freedom to return to full controll of his feif would have been very bad for us as we fought the implacable Packistanis in their rugged countryside.

After Al Queda decided to fight us alongside the remnant forces of Saddan and the Insurgents we had a hard time for a space of four years, give or take , but what about your suggestion would have been easyer or better?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 03:06:46 AM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2008, 09:30:21 AM »
What the frell does agreeing have to do with it? Your job is to show me that he's done it. You said he did, so show me.

George Bush has over seen the shooting dead of about half of the Al Queda membership , I have to suppose that a lot of desertion is going on , I still think that your assertion is made first and is unsupported , especially by facts.

==========================
What was the total number of members of Al Qaeda in Sept. 2001?

How many of them has George Bush overseen the shooting of as of this date?
You must allow for new members, dropouts, Al Qaeda members on sabbatical and on Haj, I think to be most accurate.

I am all for you having the facts. Just dial 1-888-ALQ-AEDA for a full statistical analysis of the membership, but remember that your call will probably be monitored for quality control and possible inclusion in the Guantanamo Vacation Experience, and this monitoring will not be revealed to you.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2008, 11:38:39 AM »
What was the total number of members of Al Qaeda in Sept. 2001?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Qaeda

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »

Oh come now. Let us not be coy. Does the criticism not start with "So you are in favor of invading Pakistan?" We do eventually get to, "I think it is more complicated than that as it could completely destabilize an unstable country and the reward is not worth the risk." Is that not the point of questioning me about Pakistan? It's complicated and therefore my suggestion is too simplistic? I may not be terribly subtle, but that does not mean I don't recognize subtlety.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: July 13, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
Does the criticism not start with "So you are in favor of invading Pakistan?"

No That was a question seeking clarification.

Criticism would look something like this:

You resort to sarcasm when you run out of arguments.

See the difference?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

Poppys arn't a sideshow , they are financeing.

Which they would not be if there was not a "war on drugs". But that is beside the point. You're missing how this is so much not what I suggested. Going after the terrorists should not mean trampling the poppy farmer.

You seem to be vague on this

Pshaw.

are you thinking that leaveing Saddam alone on his Iraq throne would have produced no hideing place for terrorists? Saddam had terrorists under his roof and could have made room for more. Packistan will be a lot tougher than Iraq when we fight there , better to start with the easyer ones .

Toppling Saddam doesn't seem to have eliminated hiding places for terrorists in Iraq. So that's a lousy argument. But again, you seem to have missed the point. The war in Iraq has almost nothing to do with my suggestions, except to the degree that our involvement there inhibits us from doing what I suggested.

You are confuseing me a lot here on this one

Mm-hm.

you would arrest people more effectively how and discern the proper ones better how? I really can't see how you have a gripe to make on the ehnergy expended or the direction of it , our FBI CIA and Armed Forces have arrested everyone that MIGHT be a problem and let most of them go again . I don't think you have a better methjod in mind , but if you do go on and mention it.

You don't see how I have a gripe with that? Then I suggest you've not been paying attention. A good place to start might be the initial post in this thread.

Rather than rounding up everyone who might be a problem, a practice that if used by police would be roundly and properly condemned, I suggest that we establish investigations and evidence to determine who the proper suspects are before we arrest them. I'm not saying it would be 100% foolproof. Obviously it would not be. But it would be better.

No, there is not any randomness now

Your optimism is... interesting.

I have no idea what assertion that is. But again, you made the assertion that he has done it, so supporting that assertion is up to you.

Your comments lead me to think you're not really paying attention to what I said. You seem to be basing your counterargument more on your own assumptions that on what I said.

Without Nation building you do leave a power vacuum , this follows naturally , and the winner of the resulting struggle being reasonable or freindly would be miraculous. Far better to do a bit of nation building than to leave a mess that would invite us back to fight again later.

See, comments exactly like that indicate that you're responding to your own assumptions rather than to what I said. I recommend you stop assuming I mean we should be going to war with many other countries.

I don't think you are paying attention to what you have been saying, I can only spot two minor differences between your proposals and the actual program of the administration. You would like to invade Packistan instead of takeing advantage of Packistani co-operation and you would leave Saddam alive and in controll .

I don't recall saying anything about not taking advantage of Pakistani cooperation. In fact, I am fairly certain I did not say any such thing. To further make my point, I point you to reply #60 of this thread. Again, too much of your argument is based on your assumptions.

Then you would go after familys of suspects , what ,more than the suspects themselves?

No.

After Al Queda decided to fight us alongside the remnant forces of Saddan and the Insurgents we had a hard time for a space of four years, give or take , but what about your suggestion would have been easyer or better?

The part where we don't preemptively go to war with a country that did not attack us would have been better. I'm not claiming my suggestion would have made an easier path. But I think it would have been better. And so far, you haven't given me any reason to think otherwise.