Author Topic: Any guitar players?  (Read 2626 times)

fatman

Any guitar players?
« on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:43 PM »
I'm looking forward to learning to play acoustic guitar, I've watched a lot of youtube videos on guitar instruction, and borrowed a couple of DVD's from some friends.

Now I have to actually buy a guitar.  I'm looking for an acoustic that I can stay with for a long time, hopefully in the $300-$600 range.  So far the Seagull S6 looks like a good option, but I'm really interested in the opinions of any guitar players here.

Thanks in advance.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Any guitar players?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Seagull line, but I recently bought a Godin 5th Avenue Archtop in that price range. I tend to be partial to archtops over flat-tops, so YMMV (they're more of a jazz guitar than a rock or a folk instrument), but personally, I love this guitar! It's the one I play most frequently, and considering I have in my collection some considerably more pricey instruments, such as a Gretsch G400C and a custom hand-made DeVoe archtop, that's saying something.

Again, archtops don't appeal to everybody, and they tend to be pricier than flat-tops, but it's an instrument I can personally vouch for.

A quick edit - I just checked and it turns out Seagull is made by Godin. Again, I've never played the Seagull, but if the quality is anything like the Godin, you surely can't go wrong with them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 02:32:21 PM by Religious Dick »
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

fatman

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 03:08:02 PM »
Thanks for your input RD, most of the forums that I've looked at online are highly recommending either the Seagull S6 (usually the original) or the BR-54.  I need to make a trip down to the music store next weekend and try them both out, but since I don't know any chords or songs yet I'm sure to make an ass out of myself, or look like a moron.  But that's the price you pay for being a beginner.

The other question I have is regarding setups, evidently the setup varies for the style that you wish to play.  I'll be going with classic ( <1970 ) country, and some folk/americana stuff (think Carter family).  What kind of setup and string resistance would you recommend?  Online a lot of people say to go light strings, but I'm not sure.

Thanks again.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 03:45:02 PM »
Well, setup is generally a matter of personal preference. Since you're a beginner, obviously you haven't established any yet. Light strings and a low action setup are probably sound advice for a beginner, because until you develop callouses on your fingers, they're gonna be plenty sore!

Don't get discouraged, your fingers will get used to it in a few weeks.

Setup usually involves adjusting the action and the harmonics of the instrument. Be sure to let the guitar tech know your preference in strings before he does the setup, because they will make a difference in how the instrument is setup. I'm personally using Tomastik-Insfeld flat-wounds, either the George Benson or Be-Bop sets. I don't recommend them for everyone, though. They're expensive and flat-wounds are generally preferred by jazz-players. Also, I tend to play bass in groups, so I use heavier than average gauges so the resistance builds strength in my fingers.

For what you're doing, I'd prolly go with either Martin or D'Addario round-wound lights, either bronze or steel. Again, you'll have to try a few different sets and find out what you like. Interestingly, the Martin's are usually the cheaper of the 2, but I've generally found I preferred their sound to the D'Addario's. A great string at a great price, but again, you'll have to experiment.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

fatman

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »
Thanks again for the advice RD, I'll be taking your advice with me to the music shop next weekend.