Author Topic: Undercover sting on Congress  (Read 1842 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Undercover sting on Congress
« on: November 06, 2006, 03:57:29 PM »
November 06, 2006

McClatchy's Greg Gordon:

The new chief of the FBI's Criminal Division, which is swamped with public corruption cases, says the bureau is ramping up its ability to catch crooked politicians and might run an undercover sting on Congress.

Assistant FBI Director James Burrus called the bureau's public corruption program "a sleeping giant that we've awoken," and predicted the nation will see continued emphasis in that area "for many, many, many years to come."

So much evidence of wrongdoing is surfacing in the nation's capital that Burrus recently committed to adding a fourth 15- to 20-member public corruption squad to the FBI's Washington field office.

In the past year, former Republican Reps. Duke Cunningham and Bob Ney have pleaded guilty to corruption charges. FBI agents are investigating about a dozen other members of Congress, including as many as three senators. The Justice Department also is expected to begin seeking indictments soon after a massive FBI investigation of the Alaska Legislature.

If conditions warrant, Burrus said, he wouldn't balk at urging an undercover sting like the famed Abscam operation in the late 1970s in which a U.S. senator and six House members agreed on camera to take bribes from FBI agents posing as Arab sheikhs.

"We look for those opportunities a lot," Burrus said, using words rarely heard at the bureau over the last quarter century. "I would do it on Capitol Hill. I would do it in any state legislature. ... If we could do an undercover operation, and it would get me better evidence, I'd do it in a second." [...]

The FBI does appear to be stepping up its use of electronic surveillance and has conducted stings of state politicians. Bureau agents secretly taped Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., before finding $90,000 in his freezer during a raid last May. Cell phones were wiretapped for four months in an investigation of Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., government sources say.

As long as this Congress has given the White House carte blanche to tap pretty much everyone without warrants or oversight, it's kind of delicious to think of the lawmakers squirming under the additional investigatory scrutiny, especially when so many of them apparently have reason to squirm. via War And Piece

Posted by Laura at November 6, 2006 12:33 AM
http://www.warandpiece.com/blogdirs/005128.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Undercover sting on Congress
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:36:16 PM »
They might catch more if they were quiet about it .

The_Professor

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:47:13 PM »
Hmm, is this a potential constitutional issue? Didn't we go through this a few months ago?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 09:48:18 AM by The_Professor »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:39:24 PM »
I'm sure it will all be completely aboveboard, with warrants and everything.    That is still allowed, isn't it?  To get a warrant for a wiretap if you have reason to believe criminal activity is taking place?   They've got plenty of reason to believe....
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 06:56:41 PM »
I'm sure it will all be completely aboveboard, with warrants and everything.    That is still allowed, isn't it?  To get a warrant for a wiretap if you have reason to believe criminal activity is taking place?   They've got plenty of reason to believe....

So you will not be complaining if they find a lot more cold cash in Democratic Freezers?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 07:32:14 PM »
No. If I had money left over, i'd donate it to Jefferson's opponent for the run-off election.  I don't want a dirty pol. I want one who does her job, and doesn't get a dime more than what we taxpayers pay her.