Author Topic: Obamas failure to reach working class whites  (Read 3268 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obamas failure to reach working class whites
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »
<<The dems pander to unions.

<<Unions are hot beds of racism.

<<You figure it out.>>

Easy.  Your "hot beds of racism" is the key.  The unions are no more "hotbeds of racism" than any other U.S. institution like the police, the army or the U.S. Senate.  Your statement makes about as much sense as saying "the Democrats pander to the police and the police are hotbeds of racism."

An appeal to "the unions" will appeal to all union members, of which a certain percentage will match the percentage of racists in the general population.  So a racist appeal to unions won't get all members, only the racists.  The appeal to the unions has to be an across the board appeal to the common interests of all union members - working hours, pay, safety, etc.  Yes the Democrats DO appeal to unions, on labour-rights issues.

OTOH, the Republicans appeal directly to racists (in code of course) but with an appeal based on racism, one that will draw in racists form unions, management, the religious etc.

When the Democrats appeal to unions, a certain number of union members interested happen to be racist and are drawn into the general appeal, which was not racist in essence.  When the Republicans appeal to racists, they are looking for racists only and appeal directly (or as directly as they can) to their racism.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 10:23:25 PM »
OTOH, the Republicans appeal directly to racists (in code of course) but with an appeal based on racism, one that will draw in racists form unions, management, the religious etc.

No , it is not both direct and in code .

Choose one.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
Well, according to Charles Rangel, Republicans don't say "spic#$" or "nigge@$" any more, they just say "let's cut taxes".  That's supposed to be code, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »
Well, according to Charles Rangel, Republicans don't say "spic#$" or "nigge@$" any more, they just say "let's cut taxes".  That's supposed to be code, right?

I need one of thise decoder rings.

crocat

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
yow..... I cannot believe my eyes..  Michael, are you blah blah blah about how horrible the american white folk are?

Sometimes I just cannot believe my fucking eyes.....EVERYONE is prejudice and bye the bye.... I am from Detroit and I recall vividly the race riots in Detroit.  Guess what.... the blacks got pissed and went about destroying their own homes and businesses.   

I get sick of people wailing about how bad they have it because they are black, because they are white, because they are pierced, because they are tattooed, because they are hair is blue, because they are fat, because they are short, because they are italian, because they are jews, because they are catholic....because, because, because..... because it is easier to blame someone else than their own willingness to settle and be the victim

cro

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:11:20 PM »
<<Sometimes I just cannot believe my fucking eyes.....EVERYONE is prejudice and bye the bye.... I am from Detroit and I recall vividly the race riots in Detroit.  Guess what.... the blacks got pissed and went about destroying their own homes and businesses.   >>

Apples and oranges, cro.  You're talking about the 1967 race riot, I was talking about the 1943 race riot.  It's tough sometimes keeping them all straight.  In the 1943 riot, about 40 blacks were attacked and killed by rampaging white mobs, while the police either stood by doing nothing, or in at least one case actively assisted the rioters by persuading a bunch of blacks in a municipal street car to follow them off the car and through the mob, with their armed protection, and then melting away as soon as the blacks accepted their offer and got off the street car.

crocat

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:22 PM »
1943.... things change.  I guess my problem with all that is the fact that Detroit was so laden with black graft during Coleman Young's rein.  He was so bad that he had a bullet proof limo built on the city's dime.  It took a long time to get rid of him.  Mayor Archer (another black man) was a fabulous Mayor, but he quickly learned that Detroit was not one to help itself out of its sorry reputation.  Now they have Kwami...or however you spell the idiots name.

I am not prejudice.... in my opinion anyone who is willing to work hard and help others is alright in my book.... anyone standing with their hand out and unwilling to work hard... fuck em

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:40 PM »
<<Sometimes I just cannot believe my fucking eyes.....EVERYONE is prejudice and bye the bye.... I am from Detroit and I recall vividly the race riots in Detroit.  Guess what.... the blacks got pissed and went about destroying their own homes and businesses.   >>

Apples and oranges, cro.  You're talking about the 1967 race riot, I was talking about the 1943 race riot.  It's tough sometimes keeping them all straight.  In the 1943 riot, about 40 blacks were attacked and killed by rampaging white mobs, while the police either stood by doing nothing, or in at least one case actively assisted the rioters by persuading a bunch of blacks in a municipal street car to follow them off the car and through the mob, with their armed protection, and then melting away as soon as the blacks accepted their offer and got off the street car.

In the 1860's there were some nasty race riots in New York too.

Does nothing ever get changed?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
<<In the 1860's there were some nasty race riots in New York too.>>

Yeah, the Draft Riots.

<<Does nothing ever get changed?>>

I'm wondering more about Crocat.  She comes in out of nowhere to throw her little punch, then ducks out before the counterpunch is thrown, never to be seen again in the thread.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »
<<In the 1860's there were some nasty race riots in New York too.>>

Yeah, the Draft Riots.

<<Does nothing ever get changed?>>

I'm wondering more about Crocat.  She comes in out of nowhere to throw her little punch, then ducks out before the counterpunch is thrown, never to be seen again in the thread.

Hahahahaha!

You and I know her , she has an intrest in us , but she isn't obsessed with us.

crocat

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »
Michael,

no need to worry about me... and really not ducking...I happen to have had a life change that you may not be aware of.  I have a little saying that runs through my head.... nothing is personal when the world steps in and shits on your porch.  The only thing that you can change is your attitude (in how you react it).  I spent many years sitting home eating bon bons with no one to talk to and so I became addicted to debating on the internet because my husband was working 24X7 making lotza money.  Then came 911 and by late 2002 his job went away and my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  We stayed in Michigan until September 2003, him unemployed and me working at a temp service until my mom (after being told to get her affairs in order) told me to get going to Florida because she wanted to die knowing we were 'alright'.   We moved to Florida, I got a job as a paralegal which blossomed into operations manager for a real estate venture, Danny and I started a small business that he runs, then I started another small business that I run.  All that and I am constantly taking on major projects at home and run the HOA in my subdivision....not much time to debate anymore. 

So please don't think I am ducking, its just occasionally I miss the repartee and have to pop in.

Oh, and just so you know.... I love my new life.

Cro

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2008, 12:03:49 PM »
Hi, Cro, I'm really glad to hear things are going well now.  Moving to Florida from these parts is definitely a step up in the world.    It's a beautiful place to live, especially in the winter.

All the best,

Michael

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2008, 07:27:55 PM »
Michael,

no need to worry about me... and really not ducking...I happen to have had a life change that you may not be aware of.  I have a little saying that runs through my head.... nothing is personal when the world steps in and shits on your porch.  The only thing that you can change is your attitude (in how you react it).  I spent many years sitting home eating bon bons with no one to talk to and so I became addicted to debating on the internet because my husband was working 24X7 making lotza money.  Then came 911 and by late 2002 his job went away and my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  We stayed in Michigan until September 2003, him unemployed and me working at a temp service until my mom (after being told to get her affairs in order) told me to get going to Florida because she wanted to die knowing we were 'alright'.   We moved to Florida, I got a job as a paralegal which blossomed into operations manager for a real estate venture, Danny and I started a small business that he runs, then I started another small business that I run.  All that and I am constantly taking on major projects at home and run the HOA in my subdivision....not much time to debate anymore. 

So please don't think I am ducking, its just occasionally I miss the repartee and have to pop in.

Oh, and just so you know.... I love my new life.

Cro

It was you that taught me that an on line relationship could amount to friendship.

You are not needed here , but greatly appreciated.

Please yourself and be happy , I think we will be available to you even after any hiatus.

crocat

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 08:17:22 AM »
Thanks to both of you.  I do believe that behind our screens we are all real people (though at times we are inclined to forget) and I consider some of you (even those that piss me off because of their opinions) are friends.

I miss you so I pop in.

Cro

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 12:00:39 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  I do believe that behind our screens we are all real people (though at times we are inclined to forget) and I consider some of you (even those that piss me off because of their opinions) are friends.

I miss you so I pop in.

Cro

Terriffic.

Remember when we discussed the mix of members as flavors in a stew?

Well sometimes the stew has sage and sometimes it doesn't.