Author Topic: Rummy resigns...  (Read 5726 times)

terra

Rummy resigns...
« on: November 08, 2006, 01:56:35 PM »
Bye bye.....

He could not have worked for a new way in Iraq...old neo cons can not learn a new way. The Desiderdecided that he would accept the resignation.

terra

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rummy resigns...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 02:35:41 PM »
I'm surprised this took place so quickly. I wonder if Rumsfeld is trying to be the scapegoat for the GOP losses in yesterday's election. If so I think it misses the point entirely and was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. I'm not defending Rumsfeld, whose days were clearly numbered anyway, I'm just saying that if Republicans believe that the lesson of yesterday's election was GOP loses = fire Rumsfeld then I think they might be a bit off.

Still, it is clear that Iraq weighed heavy on the minds of many voters. Even in Tennessee it basically came down to the fact that there were simply more conservatives at the polls. Ford won the self-described liberal and moderate votes easily. He simply did not win enough of the conservative voters and just came up short. Ford even won the "Greatest Generation" vote. Iraq was a real dividing issue.

I wonder what this will mean for Iraqis and how they are perceiving the midterm elections.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 02:40:36 PM »
"I wonder what this will mean for Iraqis and how they are perceiving the midterm elections. "

I hope they do not despair .

terra

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 02:48:54 PM »
I'm surprised this took place so quickly. I wonder if Rumsfeld is trying to be the scapegoat for the GOP losses in yesterday's election. If so I think it misses the point entirely and was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. I'm not defending Rumsfeld, whose days were clearly numbered anyway, I'm just saying that if Republicans believe that the lesson of yesterday's election was GOP loses = fire Rumsfeld then I think they might be a bit off.

Still, it is clear that Iraq weighed heavy on the minds of many voters. Even in Tennessee it basically came down to the fact that there were simply more conservatives at the polls. Ford won the self-described liberal and moderate votes easily. He simply did not win enough of the conservative voters and just came up short. Ford even won the "Greatest Generation" vote. Iraq was a real dividing issue.

I wonder what this will mean for Iraqis and how they are perceiving the midterm elections.

I think they are hopeing to divert things alittle. And that it opens the way for a new direction. The democrats have the House and will have the senate...if the President is seen to be a wall on change then Bush will suffer and so will his party. He can not be seen as the man to change direction(it shows a weakness to him).... so he gets a new man in there to be the Decider.

I think this will open a dialogue with Iraq. We can not just pull out...there never was a Cut and Run... but we do need to  do something different. Too many  of our people are dying or coming home with a life ruined, and too many iraqis are being killed and their  nation is in chaos with over a million in tent settlements.

Something smart and comprehensive has to  be thought of...and stop this never ending horror. It is a hope.

terra

Mucho

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »
"I wonder what this will mean for Iraqis and how they are perceiving the midterm elections. "

I hope they do not despair .

You MUST be kidding . They couldnt be in much more despair than  they are now.

http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/2006_11_01_riverbendblog_archive.html#116274961239136314

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 03:27:26 PM »
  :'( Buh-Bye, Rummy  :'(Juniorbush said he didn't announce Rummy's resignation until now because he didn't want to "politicize" the election.

Hunh?  God Forfend an election should be politicized!

The three Stooges -Juniorbush, Rummy and Dickhead- were clearly incompetent about how little they knew about the situation in Iraq. Following this, they were droolingly incompetent about how little they knew about how Iraqi society was likely to fly apart when Saddam was gone.

But now they have shown that they were even incompetent about how long they had to actually pull off their conquest of Iraq. Clearly, 2006 was as long as they could possibly be given.

3000 dead American troops, many more maimed and driven mad, and great whacking fistfulls of dollars, arms and ammo are also more than the people will tolerate, but they should at least have understood the American people.

What a sad, sad bunch of stooges they have turned out to be.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 03:31:26 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Mucho

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 03:44:03 PM »
  :'( Buh-Bye, Rummy  :'(Juniorbush said he didn't announce Rummy's resignation until now because he didn't want to "politicize" the election.

Hunh?  God Forfend an election should be politicized!

The three Stooges -Juniorbush, Rummy and Dickhead- were clearly incompetent about how little they knew about the situation in Iraq. Following this, they were droolingly incompetent about how little they knew about how Iraqi society was likely to fly apart when Saddam was gone.

But now they have shown that they were even incompetent about how long they had to actually pull off their conquest of Iraq. Clearly, 2006 was as long as they could possibly be given.

3000 dead American troops, many more maimed and driven mad, and great whacking fistfulls of dollars, arms and ammo are also more than the people will tolerate, but they should at least have understood the American people.

What a sad, sad bunch of stooges they have turned out to be.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 04:19:07 PM »
My understanding is Rummy resigned prior to the election and his successor was vetted prior to the election also.

If they wanted to reap any poluitical benefit from a changing of the guiard they would have announced prior to tuesday.

Mucho

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 05:57:30 PM »
My understanding is Rummy resigned prior to the election and his successor was vetted prior to the election also.

If they wanted to reap any poluitical benefit from a changing of the guiard they would have announced prior to tuesday.

THen they are even more stupid than I ever imagined and THAT is tough to do.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 07:44:39 PM »
The principaled do things that appear stupid sometimes.

Mucho

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 09:42:20 PM »
The principaled do things that appear stupid sometimes.

The stupid like Bush, however, always appear stupid.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:01:43 PM »
http://www.texasmonthly.com/2006-11-01/feature.php

This is the feature article in Texas Monthly, all about Robert Gates, the new Sec. of Defense.   He is currently the president of Texas A&M University.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

larry

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »
Something tells me the fix is in. I think Bush cut a deal to avoid the threat of impeachment. Rumsfeld is gone and no challenge in Virginia. Somethings not right, and we'll never know what went down. Its not justice, its not fair, its politics behind closed doors.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 11:38:03 PM »
<<I wonder what this will mean for Iraqis and how they are perceiving the midterm elections.>>

The Resistance undoubtedly perceive this as a very good thing; and as for the others - - the ones who rushed to do America's bidding - - probably about the same way that the Vichy French collaborators perceived the Normandy landings.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 11:45:14 PM »
<<The principaled do things that appear stupid sometimes.>>

Yeah, but these are not "principled" individuals we are talking about.  Quite the opposite, in fact.