Author Topic: Is this a matter of faith?  (Read 7887 times)

Cynthia

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Is this a matter of faith?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:35:05 PM »
Hmmm.

What makes you think that this would be an issue of faith?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Cynthia

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:58:56 PM »
Hmmm.

What makes you think that this would be an issue of faith?

Because I couldn't find a place to post an "issue of science"...so this was the next best place to place a thought that was not political in nature.....and besides if one believes in God, one also believes that ALL OF THE UNIVERSE is created by Him.

"This system probably looks a lot like ours did when life first took root on Earth," said Dana Backman , of the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif. , the lead author of a report to be published Jan. 10 in The Astrophysical Journal .

Intelligent design and/or God.....?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:04:26 PM by Cindy »

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »
I asked sincerely, so I hope you didn't take my question to be mean-spirited.

I do think that the entire universe was created by God. How did He go about creating it? I think that tends to be a question that is being answered by science. There is a belief that science and Christianity are mutually exclusive. This view is held both by some scientists and by some Christians. I don't believe that. I think the two go hand-in-hand.

The Big Bang Theory, for example, was discovered by a Catholic priest.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Cynthia

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
I asked sincerely, so I hope you didn't take my question to be mean-spirited.

I do think that the entire universe was created by God. How did He go about creating it? I think that tends to be a question that is being answered by science. There is a belief that science and Christianity are mutually exclusive. This view is held both by some scientists and by some Christians. I don't believe that. I think the two go hand-in-hand.

The Big Bang Theory, for example, was discovered by a Catholic priest.

I have faith on my side to answer most of these sort of questions, Js. I have no real concrete answers.
 I do believe that there is and always was a God (he/she)  a creator of sorts.

I am sure this issue will never find itself tied up in a nice package for all to read and ponder--But, I have to wonder if there was a plan by God for humans to acquire "faith" along side thought.

Of course we will never really be able to prove what we do not understand. 
We don't know what we "don't know".....

But, if one is to believe that the "idea" or theory, albeit discovered by a priest or a scientist, is truth----my mind is open in that regard. I am not ready to say yes or no....but I am in acceptance of "having faith in God".

So, the discussion continues. I agree with the idea that science and religion (Christian religion) are one in the same aligned, if you will. all inclusive. How did it begin....imo....

It" "we"...God   

we always were.......no beginning no end.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:52:10 PM by Cindy »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 02:11:55 AM »
The Big Bang agrees with our imaginations picture of an act of God in creation, but it might turn out to be incorrect and the universe might be getting repeatedly created, or constantly created, or might not be created in a process we have imagined yet, but whatever the real creation story is , it is not likely to be a method that God could not have done , nor is it likely to be something with no natural theory's for explanation.

C.S. Lewis wrote a bit of science fiction about life on other planets , on each planet Gods plan played out with good and evil in struggle and with Gods agents taking part.

This assumes that Gods main business is intelligent life , we should not really assume that life as we know it is Gods main business , the universe seems like a busy place , but is it serving purposes for God other than the ones we imagine?

Cynthia

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:08:44 PM »
C.S. Lewis wrote a bit of science fiction about life on other planets , on each planet Gods plan played out with good and evil in struggle and with Gods agents taking part.

I love this line.