Author Topic: Unpopular decisions are the price of constitutional rights.  (Read 27700 times)

richpo64

Re: Unpopular decisions are the price of constitutional rights.
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2008, 05:28:59 PM »
This obsession with my aviltar it distrurbing.

You really don't know who that is?

Anybody care to help out the libtard?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
Excuse me, but can anyone point me to the verse in the Bible that specifically states that a marriage can only be between a man and a woman?

Can you point me to the verse that specifically (or even generally) refers to marriage as anything other than between a man & a woman??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 05:34:38 PM »
This obsession with my aviltar it distrurbing.

It it Bugs Bunny? Could those be carrots?

You seem to have chosen a deliberately "distrurbing aviltar".
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

richpo64

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
Is it disturbing you? Or are you simply disturbed?

Again, check your medication. I think you may have skipped it today.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
Perhaps you feel as though you should represent yourself as Mick Jagger, dressed to play the role of a satyr in "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

But why?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:23 PM »
xo i see you are as wrong about rock music as you are about politics
thats not mick jagger, thats Angus Young of AC/DC

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

richpo64

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:47 PM »
Would that disturb you also?

More than Angus Young?

If so, I'd be happy to do so. Watching you fall apart is entertaining for sure. Seeing you taken away in an ambulance babbling about my avatar would be exquisite.

richpo64

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »
Thank you RD.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »

Homosexuals have EXACTLY the same rights I do. Any man can marry any woman who is willing. Just as I can.

That is a semantic argument. I can counter it with a semantic argument of equal or higher value. Heterosexuals are allowed marry one another; homosexuals are not allowed to marry one another. And while I might technically agree that homosexuals have the same right, they do not have the same liberty under the law, which is to say the law discriminates against them. So in the sense that you are using the word "rights", no, homosexuals do not have the same rights as you. In the sense that I am using the word "right", their right is infringed by the lack of liberty. They ought to have the liberty to exercise their right. A desire to protect a definition of a word is not, imo, even close to sufficient grounds for legally preventing homosexuals from marriage. It seems, in point of fact, rather petty.

So do heterosexuals have the right to marry someone of the same gender?

Interesting that the anti-government, pro-liberty "libertarians" support a massive, unwelcome, government intervention into the habits and customs of the people, one which creates obligations on the part of parties that aren't even signatories, and can't even name a single public interest to justify doing so. As I said, libertarians are good for patting themselves on the back for their consistent support of individual liberty, as long as they can keep quietly redefining individual liberty in support of whatever particular hobbyhorse they happen to be riding at the moment.

Further, while you might make the argument that every person should be treated equally under the law, let me point out that associations between people are not persons, and the law distinguishes between those associations routinely. Bowling teams are not regulated like corporations, churches are not regulated like government contractors, and parents are not regulated like military facilities. 

Marriage, as a long standing custom, has a number of arguable benefits to society at large, not the least of which that it provides institutional support for a biological imperative - namely, that as mammals, we reproduce sexually. Given that there's no comparable benefit to gay relationships, the only argument available amounts to, "But mom, you let them do it!".

The argument for heterosexual marriage rests on a biological imperative. The only argument for gay marriage is one of equality, using a truly tortured definition of "equal". The arguments for heterosexual marriage stand on their own. Absent the existence of heterosexual marriage, what are the arguments for gay marriage?

The fact that the only argument you have relies on a claim of equality indicates the situations are not equal. You can argue for heterosexual  marriage all day long without having the word "equal" come up once. Take that word out of the argument for gay marriage, and the arguments fall down like a house of cards. If you don't believe that, try making a case for gay marriage without a reference to straight marriage. I doubt you could make much of a case.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
[.........]

Married in America

In the United States, as in Europe, how and why people married, who was allowed to marry, and how marriages functioned has also continually evolved.

In early American Colonial days, when there were few courts or churches, marriages were informal by necessity — many got married by living together and declaring themselves husband and wife. Such common-law marriages are still allowed in 11 states and the District of Columbia, said Mintz, of the University of Houston.

Before the Civil War, slaves were considered property and thus could not marry legally, though many slaves held their own ceremonies.

After the war, many states banned interracial marriages. Also, in the early 1900s, when anti-Asian sentiment was high, a national law said women who married Asians — even U.S.-born Asians — lost their citizenship. The U.S. Supreme Court declared such laws unconstitutional in 1967.
[.............]

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2001888924_marriagehistory29m.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »
and....................................?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »
[.........]

Married in America

In the United States, as in Europe, how and why people married, who was allowed to marry, and how marriages functioned has also continually evolved.

In early American Colonial days, when there were few courts or churches, marriages were informal by necessity — many got married by living together and declaring themselves husband and wife. Such common-law marriages are still allowed in 11 states and the District of Columbia, said Mintz, of the University of Houston.

Before the Civil War, slaves were considered property and thus could not marry legally, though many slaves held their own ceremonies.

After the war, many states banned interracial marriages. Also, in the early 1900s, when anti-Asian sentiment was high, a national law said women who married Asians — even U.S.-born Asians — lost their citizenship. The U.S. Supreme Court declared such laws unconstitutional in 1967.
[.............]

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/living/2001888924_marriagehistory29m.html

In these 11 States that allow for common law marrage, would there be standing for common law homosexual "marrage" once the rules changed to create Homosexual "marrage"?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2008, 10:10:39 PM »
I do not like rock music much, rarely listen to it, and have never heard of Angus Young, although I have herd of AC/DC. I could not tell you the name of a single song or album they have made.

I know even less and care far less about sports.

But I know more about politics than you ever will.

The image you chose is just weird, and annoying, as are you. You are far more annoying than weird, though. Weirdness requires a degree of creativity it is unlikely you will ever possess.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
Excuse me, but can anyone point me to the verse in the Bible that specifically states that a marriage can only be between a man and a woman?

Can you point me to the verse that specifically (or even generally) refers to marriage as anything other than between a man & a woman??

I'm not trying to make a point that the Bible specifically (or even generally) refers to marriage as anything other than between a man & a woman. You, on the other hand, keep opining that for some reason that is all a marriage can be - between a man and a woman - yet you obviously cannot come up with a
Biblical reference supporting that.

It is probably safe to assume that if the Bible thinks gay men having sex in the manner of a hetero couple should be executed, this probably suggests that the act of gay sex is not likely to be approved by God if the same two people are married.

So they cannot marry even if they remain celibate?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2008, 11:34:30 PM »

I don't give a crap what it is called. I find the objection to calling it a marriage to be flimsy at best.

Precisely my point.  Many do, so if you are of those who care squat, then why the inability to compromise with those who "do give a crap"??

There is no inability to compromise on my part. I'm simply saying the insistence that homosexuals not be allowed to call their marriage a marriage seems a ridiculous sticking point.

1 side, who concedes that rights are pretty much equal, but rationalizes no need to compromise, in any sense, claiming no need to, as if their position is THE position to attain to, on a point that's largely about one word, that they confess they care so little about.  Truely intriguing

Well, from my perspective, yes, greater liberty is the position to attain. Because the rights might be equal, but the liberty is not.

See what I mean?  Apparently the side that expects uniform acceptance of a lifestyle the majority of Americans find immoral has no need to compromise at any level

Again, What you have described as the pre-compromise position seems like a list of things that people shouldn't have been doing in the first place. It's sort of like suggesting the blacks need to compromise on what equal means in regard to civil rights. I don't see what it the homosexuals need to compromise.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--