Author Topic: A Negotiated Peace  (Read 1259 times)

domer

A Negotiated Peace
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:01:11 PM »
I speak without close knowledge of cultures or politics, religions or hopes. Nevertheless, I think it would be useful to commit a few words to an idea being bandied about now: a regional (pan-Islamic?) conference and consequent semi-permanent mechanism to broker, negotiate, mediate and facilitate peace in Iraq. This spells danger, I'm afraid, for the administration, but not, I suggest, for the wider cause of peace and, especially, not for our overall success in the war on terror. We would have to give up visions of a decisive, "classical" victory, and even the prized commodity of "control" in favor of better relations in the Muslim world. There would be attendant exchanges in many important ways that would tend to meliorate, if not provide a sound footing for solving, the core problems that drive our nations apart and give rise to the violent, radical Islamic terrorism the world has come to condemn. This, my friends, is thinking outside the box, which, in this instance, is our prison.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Negotiated Peace
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 10:58:31 PM »
domer, there already was a pan-Islamic conference on peace in the Middle East and it unanimously accepted a Saudi Arabian plan in 2002 - - there's lots on it in google if you just enter "Saudi peace plan"  - - here's a typical link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1898736.stm

The problem with any of these plans is that in order to be viable, they must resolve the Israeli-Palestinian problem, which essentially involves land, and we all know by now which land that is.

Long story short, the Israelis shat all over the Saudi plan, just as they did the Oslo Accords and just as they will any plan that actually calls upon them to give up the West Bank, or what they refer to as Judea and Samaria.

It just will not happen.  This dispute is headed for a resolution on the battlefield, over and over and over again.  And the U.S. is stupid enough to get caught in the cross-fire because its politicians are either junkies hooked on AIPAC money or if they're like Nancy Pelosi, they genuinely love Israel but with a very short-sighted and unimaginative kind of love.