Author Topic: Meet John Doe *Possible Spoilers Herein*  (Read 2992 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Meet John Doe *Possible Spoilers Herein*
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:06:03 AM »
Anyone here seen the film "Meet John Doe" and want to talk about it? The ending in particular.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Meet John Doe *Possible Spoilers Herein*
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
I just added it to my Netflix instant queue. I'll watch it in the next day or two.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
Great. I look forward to your comments.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:32:37 PM by Universe Prince »
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
Anyone here seen the film "Meet John Doe" and want to talk about it? The ending in particular.

I've seen MJD a few times and love it.

What's your question?

The ending is great, imo.  I love Walter Brennan and "hEE-Lots".

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

What's your question?

Ever since the first time I saw it, I have felt the ending is a bit forced and somewhat a cop out. He gets up to the roof, and just when I feel he should do the daring thing and jump, his pals show up and give a corny speech, and he walks away. I know Capra et al had trouble with the ending, but this just sort of feels like they wanted a way to keep John Doe from dying and the grabbed the first idea they could think of.

Why do you think it works?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »

What's your question?

Ever since the first time I saw it, I have felt the ending is a bit forced and somewhat a cop out. He gets up to the roof, and just when I feel he should do the daring thing and jump, his pals show up and give a corny speech, and he walks away. I know Capra et al had trouble with the ending, but this just sort of feels like they wanted a way to keep John Doe from dying and the grabbed the first idea they could think of.

Why do you think it works?

The obvious answer, of course, is that it IS Capra and no one wants to see Gary Cooper die at the end of a movie but I think also, it is about having hope and trying to trust people.

Every time I see that movie, I want to go door to door in my neighborhood and introduce myself.  I generally know all the people in the houses around me but I would want to go even further.  I've never done it but after seeing the movie, I am usually more open to waving at folk as they drive by.  (Maybe I should rent it soon or watch it more often!  lol)

The movie is corny, in some ways, but there is some real truth to it.  The Brennan character is exactly the way I see one of my friends.  He has a disdain for all things "normal".  He's a real anarchist.