Author Topic: The Thornbirds  (Read 10085 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Thornbirds
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:58:58 AM »
So now I've gotten to the point where I understand that I need a codec - in particular the XVID MPEG-4 codec, which is $19.00. *sigh*

XVID is open source. Here's a link: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Excellent, Ami - works like a charm. I knew you'd have a solution.  ;D

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 08:01:25 AM »

My Vista came with it installed. Didn't think about it earlier.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »

My Vista came with it installed. Didn't think about it earlier.

Now, if I wanted to burn these to DVDs so that I can watch on TV rather than on the laptop, are there any special steps or conversions I need to do?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 10:30:29 AM »
Now, if I wanted to burn these to DVDs so that I can watch on TV rather than on the laptop, are there any special steps or conversions I need to do?

Depends on your setup. If you have a TiVo, you can download TiVo Desktop and have any videos from your computer available on your TV. Many laptops also have output to connect them directly to the TV - those are the two easiest options. Many DVDs nowadays will play AVI files directly from a burned CD, you'll have to check your DVD manual for the format that they support. If you want to go with a straight DVD option, you need some burner software. A lot of computers come with DVD burner software already installed. If not here are some for you to look at.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

Depends on your setup. If you have a TiVo, you can download TiVo Desktop and have any videos from your computer available on your TV. Many laptops also have output to connect them directly to the TV - those are the two easiest options. Many DVDs nowadays will play AVI files directly from a burned CD, you'll have to check your DVD manual for the format that they support. If you want to go with a straight DVD option, you need some burner software. A lot of computers come with DVD burner software already installed. If not here are some for you to look at.

Headache!!! OK, I might already have something on my computer (Windows DVD Maker - just discovered it). I'll do some exploring. Thanks Ami!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »
xvid ?
gonna have to try that
my vlc tends to stall on the vista
this might be helpful to vista owners
I know alot of vista owners have problems with playing video files
note media player classic