Author Topic: Romania Marks 20th Year Since Kommie Kollapse  (Read 15145 times)

Rich

Re: Romania Marks 20th Year Since Kommie Kollapse
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
"This year, Romania marks the 20th anniversary of the fall of its Stalinist dictator Nicolae Ceausescu. For 45 years, the regime ruled with an iron fist, executing, jailing and persecuting Romanian dissidents."

Obviously propaganda.

By the war, spell check doesn't work with firefox. At least not on my computer.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:30:05 PM »
By the war, spell check doesn't work with firefox. At least not on my computer.

Bring up the Preferences windows, select Advanced, under the General tab, make sure that "Check spelling as I type" is checked.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Rich

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
Thanks Ami.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
Take a look at http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4905885,00.html

for a quick look at Romania before and after the fall of the "evil communist dictator."  What a fucking joke.

Typical story of "development aid" for the "underdeveloped" world, be that Romania, Latin America or South-East Asia. The only variants are how sophisticated or unsophisticated the locals happen to be and the amount of wealth available to be extracted from the target.

BTW, it never fails to amaze me that the fiscal conservative movement hasn't erected any statues to Ceausescu.  He was the ONLY European leader, communist or non-communist, whose country never went into debt and always ran a surplus, year after year after year.  And that's despite all the "lavish palaces" and "antique automobile" extravaganzas that the Ceausescus were supposedly enriching themselves with out of the public purse.

BSB

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 01:48:20 PM »
No matter how hard conserve-atives like you try, Snowblower, you can't stop change. You can only postpone the inevitable. Doesn't matter whether the change is for the better, or for the worse. It's gonna happen.

Snowblower, We, and Rich, are all the same person, tip toeing through life trying to preserve some historically fleeting moment.

Rich

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
>>BTW, it never fails to amaze me that the fiscal conservative movement hasn't erected any statues to Ceausescu.<<

We don't erect monuments to communist propaganda.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 02:20:02 PM »
<<We don't erect monuments to communist propaganda.>>

I was just being facetious, Rich.  I already know what kind of propaganda you erect your monuments to.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
Bring up the Preferences windows, select Advanced, under the General tab, make sure that "Check spelling as I type" is checked.

On my Foxfire, you have to go to "Tool", then "Options" then "Advanced" There is no preferences tab.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
<<No matter how hard conserve-atives like you try, Snowblower, you can't stop change. You can only postpone the inevitable. Doesn't matter whether the change is for the better, or for the worse. It's gonna happen.>>

How profound.  Too bad nobody told Winston Churchill that he couldn't stop "the wave of the future."  He needed a guy like you at his side, BSB.  Coulda saved him a whole lot of blood, toil, tears and sweat.

There are some things in life that are worth conserving, otherwise there would never have been a "conservative" movement in the first place.  Too bad the present "conservatives" (so-called) have given the whole thing a bad name.  It was not always a cheap perversion.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
BTW, it never fails to amaze me that the fiscal conservative movement hasn't erected any statues to Ceausescu.  He was the ONLY European leader, communist or non-communist, whose country never went into debt and always ran a surplus, year after year after year.

Despite his increasingly totalitarian rule, Ceauşescu's political independence from the Soviet Union and his protests against the invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 drew the interest of Western powers, who briefly believed he was an anti-Soviet maverick and hoped to create a schism in the Warsaw Pact by funding him. Ceauşescu did not realise that the funding was not always very favorable. Ceauşescu was able to borrow heavily (more than $13 billion) from the West to finance economic development programs, but these loans ultimately devastated the country's financial situation. In an attempt to correct this situation, Ceauşescu decided to eradicate Romania's foreign debts. He organised a referendum and managed to change the constitution, adding a clause that barred Romania from taking foreign debts in the future. The referendum yielded a nearly unanimous "yes" vote.

In the 1980s, Ceauşescu ordered the export of much of the country's agricultural and industrial production in order to repay its debts. The resulting domestic shortages made the everyday life of Romanian citizens a fight for survival as food rationing was introduced and heating, gas and electricity black-outs became the rule. During the 1980s, there was a steady decrease in the living standard, especially the availability and quality of food and general goods in stores. The official explanation was that the country was paying its debts and people accepted the suffering, believing it to be for a short time only and for the ultimate good.

The debt was fully paid in summer 1989, shortly before Ceauşescu was overthrown, but heavy exports continued until the revolution, which took place in December.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolae_Ceau%C5%9Fescu#Foreign_debt

« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:44:58 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
Hmm, cool, but too big. Would be better if they could be put on the side...

OK, if I bit.ly the link first, it's smaller...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 02:43:44 PM by Amianthus »

Rich

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »
>>I was just being facetious, Rich.<<

So was I genius.

You're famous for calling anything that you disagree with propaganda. Two can play that game.

BSB

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »
Ah Snowblower, it was Hitler that was trying to stop change. Like you he just wanted to kill everybody that disagreed with his idea of the world.

Oh well, this is over your head, KramerII.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »
<<Ah Snowblower, it was Hitler that was trying to stop change. >>

Let's see.  He gave Germany a new flag.  A new system of political organization.  A new grammar.   A new official race-based concept of citizenship.  A new army (Waffen SS) alongside the old army.  New para-military police, the S.A. and the S.S.   New youth organizations.  New labour organizations. 

<<Oh well, this is over your head, KramerII. >>

So you say.  So what exactly was the change that he was trying to stop?