Author Topic: No Guts No Glory  (Read 3516 times)

Rich

Re: No Guts No Glory
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:26:18 AM »
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets’ coaches, according to league sources. NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets’ defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots “multiple draft picks” because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday’s game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/bostonnew-england-patriots/post/_/id/4673427/bruschi-at-least-07-pats-had-guts

The Colts destroyed their tradition when their owner, Bob Irsay (may he rest in torment) snuck away like a little coward from Baltimore back in '85 or so.  They are not interested in glory, they are interested in money.   50 years ago they played in "the greatest game ever played."   Now they are just another franchise. 

Shortly prior to the shafting of Baltimore City, while I was still stationed in Belgium,  I watched what I consider to be the greatest game I ever saw.  It was the Orange Bowl in 1984 with the undefeated Nebraska Cornhuskers vs the Miami Hurricanes.  Nebraska was a juggernaut that year, with many people calling them the greatest team in college sports history.  They had actually scored upwards of 80 points in several games and averaged over 50.  Miami was number 5 in the ratings; however, because of the poor showing of the other top five teams in the bowls the 'canes had a chance at stealing the national title if they could just defeat the mighty 'huskers.   The game was a classic in many respects, with Bernie Kosar leading a tenacious Hurricanes passing game to get an early lead and the Cornhuskers staging a huge comeback from a 17-0 and then a 31-17 deficit.  It came down to the last seconds with the score 31-24 Miami.  Nebraska scored a touchdown to make it 31-30 with one chance left.  It was a this point that the concept of "No guts, no glory" actually was defined for me.

Nebraska was the overwhelming choice for number one all year and a one point PAT would have led to a tie (no overtime allowed in college bowls back then) that would have given a sure National Title to Nebraska.  But with a glorious sportsmanship that teams like the Indianapolis Dolts and their erstwhile and present owners would never understand (much less achieve) the 'Huskers head coach Tom Osborne decided to go for broke.   They attempted a two-point conversion but it was batted away and the Hurricanes won the national championship.  Two great teams played like men - not employees - and a classic was made.  Some people think Osborne was a fool for not taking the relatively sure thing with a kicked PAT.   But had the 'huskers "won" the championship with a bowl game tie, it would have been an implied asterisk that would relegate the team to damn-near also-ran status and the game to mediocrity on account of one play.  After a few years, nobody would remember the game except when wimpiness like the Colts have shown comes up. "It's like that team back in the '80s that wimped out and won the championship, who were they again?"  Instead, the Cornhuskers showed themselves not only to be a class team, but class sportsmen in a classic game. 

I'd rather watch college or even High School football any day.

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:

BSB

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:08 PM »
This could be the Chargers year, Brainless We We. Or, they could blow it, like they always do.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
This could be the Chargers year, Brainless We We. Or, they could blow it, like they always do.

they do suffer (as all teams do) from handicaps but manage to amputate their opponents rushing legs more often than not. welcome to 2010!
Did you get any new armymen for christmas?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
Go Vikes!

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 02:15:28 PM »
Brainless We We, I love your posts, they say so much about so many in here. Ha ha, I could never say it better.

BSB

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 02:20:24 PM »
I think your Vikes are in trouble, Ami.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »
Brainless We We, I love your posts, they say so much about so many in here. Ha ha, I could never say it better.

you can't run -- and you can't hide from the fact you voted for Obama

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 04:03:06 PM »
Looks like we are straying from the topic.  Play nice.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
Forget winning the Super Bowl or concern for keeping your players healthy going into the playoffs. Your concern as head coach should be to go for 19-0 so some fans can geek out about it if you get there. Um, no. Tedy Bruschi needs to stop whining.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BSB

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
A team that tries to go 19-0 doesn't do it for the fans. They do it for themselves, and the record. Records are there to be broken.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »
I have nothing against a team trying to go 19-0. My complaint is with Tedy Bruschi criticizing the coach's decision because it robs Bruschi of a chance to geek out if the team maybe gets to 19-0. As I said, Tedy Bruschi needs to stop whining.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BSB

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
Bruschi was a Patriot. He was with the Patriot team that went 16-0 during the regular season and wound up 18-1. He wasn't going to geek out if the Colts went 16-0. What he said was, we tried, the Colts didn't. No guts no glory.