Author Topic: Culture of Corruption: Menendez may drop out in New Jersey  (Read 2854 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Culture of Corruption: Menendez may drop out in New Jersey
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
In New Jersey, Republicans Seek to Block Potential Replacement Candidate

With Sen. Robert Menendez' (D-NJ) U.S. Senate campaign "under unexpected pressure" and rumors circulating that he might drop out of the race, "his Republican rivals are trying to prevent Democratic leaders from bumping him from the race and replacing him with another candidate," the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

Rick Hasen: "Don't expect Gov. Corzine, a Democrat who chose Sen. Menendez to replace him, to sign any bill that would make it harder to replace Sen. Menendez should he choose to drop out."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/09/15/in_new_jersey_republicans_seek_to_block_potential_replacement_candidate.html

domer

Re: Culture of Corruption: Menendez may drop out in New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:33:39 PM »
I never particularly liked Menendez. Maybe that's not so much a judgment on his person (though I find him unimpressive and somewhat swarmy) than it is a judgment on the political milieu he emerged from: the infamous Hudson County machine. Kean, his opponent, is not a bad substitute. He appears to be a chip off his old father's block (the moderate former governor, Tom Kean, chairman of the 9-11 Commission) and is running in a way that most Republicans in other parts of the country wouldn't recognize. If elected, there is a chance that he could fit into the Lincoln Chaffee mold.
     Yet, that is not the full story. Somewhere in the interstices of conscience and constituency, there is room for raw party politics to play out. Having one of "your" guys in position may have benefits for the party on some crucial votes and as an overall orientation to government, which may in turn affect the political culture. So party affiliation can matter dramatically.
    While I know the outline of Menendez's present difficulties, I don't know the day-to-day, blow-by-blow details. Is it possible he may step aside? Perhaps. (In my view, he was a purely "political" choice by Gov. Corzine to fill Sen. Corzine's seat. Menendez simply had a compelling demographic as a veteran Hispanic Congressman.) If he does, look for the New Jersey-patented candidate scramble, with most eyes, presumably, looking toward Bill Bradley. He would win. His popularity is great, and this is a very Democratic state. Short of a Bradley, however, the Democrats would appear to be in trouble. Kean is respectable, remember, and a challenger without instant celebrity may have an insurmountable task in undoing the good will he's generated in the normal time span of a regular campaign.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:51:04 PM »
If he does, look for the New Jersey-patented candidate scramble, with most eyes, presumably, looking toward Bill Bradley. He would win. His popularity is great, and this is a very Democratic state.

Does Frank Lautenberg have a brother? He filled in for The Torch when he had to step aside.

Bradley would be a good pick. He's smart, with experience, and he works well with the other side. But since he gets my endorsement, he probably wouldn't go over well with the Kos type liberals who have taken over the Democrat party. He's not angry nor demented enough. He also challenged Al Gore in 2000, and that is a no no with the extremist left.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
It looks like New Jersey is going to go Republican for the first time since...?

-------------------

In New Jersey, Kean Holds 6 Point Lead

In New Jersey's U.S. Senate race, Thomas Kean, Jr. (R) is now leading Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ) 44% to 38% with 14% undecided, according to the latest Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey newspaper poll.

Said pollster Patrick Murray: "The Democrats control the state. The state is not working well, according to the voters."

There is also some speculation in the article that former Gov. James McGreevey's (D) new book brought back many memories for New Jersey voters and links these to Menendez.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/09/24/in_new_jersey_kean_holds_6_point_lead.html