Author Topic: Obama Exempted BP from Enviro impact study  (Read 1138 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama Exempted BP from Enviro impact study
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »
Define will of the people.

Seriously.

Is it a snap poll or the consensus of the legislature?

ie is the will of the people instantaneous or revealed every two years with a refreshing of congress

You mean is it really knowable?

I think a lot of time and money is spent on learning what the people want to hear so that the pols can then tell just that to them.

Every election is an oppurtunity to toss the rascals , spank the arrogant and promote the ambitious.

The people we elect , what should they be concerned with doing our will and want or meeting our need?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 10:23:02 PM »
The people we elect , what should they be concerned with doing our will and want or meeting our need?

Do we elect people because we want them to do our will or do we elect people because we trust their judgment?

Are we confusing democracy with republic?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 01:11:58 AM »

Do we elect people because we want them to do our will or do we elect people because we trust their judgment?

Are we confusing democracy with republic?

Ah!

We should be both !

I suppose that a lot of us trusted Govenor Barnes , who shall never be forgiven for doing what he thought was the right thing , humiliateing a huge number of us and winning the respect of Massituchetts.

Govenor Barnes knew that there would be a price to pay , but did he know how much?  I have a lot of reasons to be glad his party was spanked for its arrogance , but number one is that the will of the people ought be respected even by people who think the people are wrong .

I think that the people can be persuaded by convinceing moral suasion , and rarely should be forced to accept humiliation from their own government.

The government is properly the servant of the people , not the other way around.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 09:09:25 AM »
The government is properly the servant of the people , not the other way around.

If only all public servants had your humility, Barnes and Cleland could saved themselves some heartache.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 07:16:09 PM »

If only all public servants had your humility, Barnes and Cleland could saved themselves some heartache.

You may as well wish for the moon.

Only a few people in all history have had humility nearly as humble as mine.

And persons that have any huimility at all do not generally gravitate to elected office.

Present company excepted of course.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 10:09:51 AM »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987