Author Topic: Israelis Detain, Beat & Release US Citizen, THEN claim he's a "terrorist"  (Read 5305 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If he was actually a terrorist, what he did on the ship was not terrorism, if (as he says) he snatched a pistol away from an IDF Commando and removed the bullets so that it could not be used, that is more like the opposite of terrorism. I don't know that he was the official poster child: he does not present himself as such. Resisting arrest is not an act of terrorism. As Tee said, it sounds rather silly to arrest him detain him and release him and THEN accuse him of terrorism with no evidence seems a bit chicken-shitty. NOT good PR for the Israelis, who are usually quite good at such things.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Never said O'Keefe presented himself as a poster boy. The author at antiwar.com and Mikey both thought he was worthy of an article and a thread respectively. And both are riddled with inaccuracies.

Whether he is a terrorist or not, i don't know. I do know he isn't some innocent bystander. And if he picks a fight he shouldn't whine if his opponent lands a couple punches.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<I do know he isn't some innocent bystander. >>

Meaning what?  How did he lose his innocence?

<<And if he picks a fight he shouldn't whine if his opponent lands a couple punches. >>

If HE picks a fight?  What planet are you living on?  In support of an illegal blockade, the Israelis seize an innocent ship on the high seas, massacre a bunch of unarmed aid workers and wound dozens more, and HE'S the one who's picking the fight?  You are seriously delusional.

BSB

A) There's nothing illegal about that blockade. They have every right to protect themselves from Hamas's rockets.

B) If you're on a boat that is part of a flotilla that has as its purpose the breaking of a blockade it might be smart to come prepared for trouble. By prepared I mean with your brain in gear. I know that if I'm on a boat with that kind of mission and I look up and see Israeli SEALS repelling down onto the deck I'm standing on I'm going to think before I make a move. In fact I should have thought it all out before hand and already know what the right responses are.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I think they had it thought thru and were not surprised by any of the events.

Why such a large number of passengers?

BSB

They must be a little deficient in the thinking deparment then.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<A) There's nothing illegal about that blockade. They have every right to protect themselves from Hamas's rockets.>>

That's not an absolute right and it cannot be exercised at the expense of the people of Gaza; they blockaded construction material, food and medicine and hospital equipment that have absolutely nothing to do with protecting Israel from rockets.  The real purpose of the blockade is political - - to increase the pain on the people of Gaza till they reject their democratically elected Hamas government, which the Israelis have chosen to label as "terrorists" for not recognizing Israel's right to exist.

<<B) If you're on a boat that is part of a flotilla that has as its purpose the breaking of a blockade it might be smart to come prepared for trouble. By prepared I mean with your brain in gear. I know that if I'm on a boat with that kind of mission and I look up and see Israeli SEALS repelling down onto the deck I'm standing on I'm going to think before I make a move. In fact I should have thought it all out before hand and already know what the right responses are.>>

I don't know what O'Keefe thought out in advance, if anything.  An on-board massacre of activists and mass woundings of survivors was certainly not a likely event, particularly with Parliamentarians, world-famous authors, journalists etc. all present.   This is just another pathetic attempt to blame the victim - - HE'S at fault for not having a plan.  We should be clear about at least one thing:  fault is 100% with the Israeli army for ordering an armed night-time assault on a peaceful unarmed ship.  You don't blame the Jews who are shot dead by storm-troopers raiding their home, and you don't blame unarmed humanitarian aid workers who are shot dead by Israeli commandos raiding their ship.  Period.  End of story.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Meaning what?  How did he lose his innocence?

Innocent bystanders don't pick sides.

O'Keefe chose in 2001, when he renounced his citizenship and gave the reasons why.

BSB

"The real purpose of the blockade is political - - to increase the pain .........till they reject...........Hamas."

The purpose of the blockade is to twofold. 1) To protect themselves from the rockets and other types of Hamas generated attacks. 2) What you suggest.

This last highly visible attempt to run the blockage just might help in loosening it as far as cement, construction equipment, some medical equipment, etc. I'm not so sure that this wasn't successful despite the stupidity on both side.

Hamas = terrorists?  Of course they are. To pretend otherwise is to burry your head in the sand. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
There were four ships before the attack by the IDF goons and one ship afterward that resulted in no casualties, so that sort of proves that Israel's dangling these goons was a stupid and violent move.

And of course, as a result of their goonish stupidity, the border with Egypt have been flung open, and all manner of stuff is entering Gzaa without the Israelis having even a teensy bit of supervision.

Stupid is bad. Goonish is bad. Violent is bad. Combine these and you have a really awful mistake.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Just think how much better things would be if Hamas weren't firing rockets into Gaza.  Whalaaa, no blockade.  Also demonstrates, as even Xo concedes, boats are allowed thru, so long as they allow for insepection for any weapons and the the like.  So much for the asanine accusations that all forms of humanitarian items are being "blockaded" from getting thru
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
<<Innocent bystanders don't pick sides.>>

You've obviously confused innocence with neutrality.  According to your definition of innocence, none of the participants was innocent.

<<O'Keefe chose in 2001, when he renounced his citizenship and gave the reasons why. >>

Same error, same comment.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Wishing to help the Palestinians imprisoned in Gaza does not make one a terrorist.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Not at all.  But assisting those who do wish to kill anything & everything Israel, does enable the terrorist
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
If Human Rights Watch says the human shield that O'Keefe founded aided and abetted Saddam then i would have to say that O'Keefe was decidedly not neutral.

and for those whose reading comprehension is less than zero I never claimed O'Keefe was a terrorist.

According to your definition of innocence, none of the participants was innocent.

My statement dealt with O'Keefe, I don't know anything about the history of the other participants.