Author Topic: Minneapolis' bike-sharing program launches with high enthusiasm.  (Read 3591 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
They installed one of the kiosks right in front of my current office.

Minneapolis? bike-sharing program launches with high enthusiasm. But is it preaching to the choir?

Mayor R. T. Rybak rides alongside Patrick Geraghty, CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, at today's Nice Ride Minnesota launch.

Gregory J. Scott

It was a light drizzle and a chorus of trilling bike bells for this afternoon's launch of Nice Ride Minnesota, the city's brand new bike-sharing program, which allows users to rent public bikes for short jaunts through town. According to officials, by the end of the day, the program's 65 kiosks will be activated, stocked with 700 bikes and ready for use. Nice Ride is currently the largest bike-sharing program in the nation. It will grow to 1,000 bikes in 75 kiosks by the end of summer.

Just before noon, over 100 cyclists gathered at the Central Library for a free test drive of the beefy, bright green bikes, which had arrived in late May from a manufacturer in Montreal. Nice Ride uses Montreal's BIXI system of bikes and kiosks, widely regarded to be the best bike-sharing technology in the world. After signing a waiver and donning a helmet, riders each grabbed a bike and got into position on Nicollet Mall.

After a few brief remarks from Nice Ride executive director Bill Dossett - mostly urging participants to observe traffic laws, especially stopping at red lights - riders clicked their grip shifts into third gear and commenced a slow, rolling parade down Nicollet Mall.

Thumbs quickly found the bike bells on the left handlebars. The parade soon had a soundtrack of sporadic, cheerful rings, eliciting bemused smiles from the farmers' market stalls lining the boulevard.

As riders coasted toward Peavey Plaza, many oohed and ahhed over the bikes' features, commenting on the well-padded seats and the friction free hubs. One said it was the smoothest ride he'd had in months.

But such comments revealed a nagging demographic problem, one that may become an issue for Nice Ride down the road - these were people who knew bikes, who owned bikes and who, for the most part, already relied on their two-wheelers for their daily commutes. Why would they pay for a public bike when they're already using their own?

Matt, a Downtown worker who commutes on his bike "three or four times a week" from his home in St. Paul, said he loved the idea of bike-sharing.

"The more bikes we have on the street, the better and safer it is for me as a cyclist," he said.

But when asked if he would sign up for a subscription, he balked. "I'll probably wait to sign-up," he said. "I want to see how it goes. It might not be super practical for me."

But he added, "I don't think I'm in the target market for this."

Enthusiasm amongst the cycling community for Nice Ride is high. But the need is not. For Nice Ride to be successfull, the program will have to convince the cycling-reluctant, as well.

Dossett noted this conundrum. "The challenge of bike share is the people that are the most evangelical about what you're doing are not your target market," he said. "My target market is not hardcore bike commuters."

Of course, given that today's parade was an insider biking event, based on personal invitations, the demographic was skewed. But the issue is still something that Nice Ride will be paying close attention to.

"Any time you launch something that's never been done before, you do your market research, and you hope you're right," Dossett continued. "It's still a wait-and-see. We expect there to be a period where you got the true believers and then an education period for everyone else to figure it out."

Jennifer Munt, president of Transit for Livable Communities, pointed to herself as the model user. At a ribbon cutting ceremony at Peavey Plaza, she said, "Today, this lady who hasn't got on a bike in 10 years just rode nine blocks."

There was a lot of back-patting over Minneapolis' recent besting of rival Portland in Bicycling Magazine's ranking of best cities for cycling.

"In Minneapolis, Portland is just a street," said Mayor R. T. Rybak, still donning his bike helmet. "They'll never be number one again."

Rybak said that, in recent years, questions about a possible bike-sharing system in Minneapolis had been "the emails sent to me the most."

Now that it's here, he said it's up to residents to take advantage: "Let's use this thing."

Original Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Minneapolis' bike-sharing program launches with high enthusiasm.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
hmm

can anybody explain to me how it`s possible to bike to work and fell comfortable?
remember not all jobs provides showers or locker rooms.
not really sure a change of clothes is enough.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
can anybody explain to me how it`s possible to bike to work and fell comfortable?
remember not all jobs provides showers or locker rooms.
not really sure a change of clothes is enough.

Well, some companies provide those (showers), sometimes even full gyms.

This, however, is for people who drive into town and park or ride public transit into town. Rather than paying cab fare, paying another parking fee, or paying for a bus trip, you can grab a bike and ride a few blocks and then drop off the bike. This is more for short trips around town once you've actually gotten into town.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
Well, Prince, the program here is setup for repairs pretty simply. Just take the bike needing repairs to one of the kiosks and return it. Then press the button on the kiosk that reports it as needing repair. If you still need to continue on your trip, just get another bike from the same kiosk and go. While they don't have many kiosks setup yet, there are plans to greatly expand this system throughout Minneapolis (only covers uptown, downtown, and dinky town right now). They are planning on finishing up Minneapolis later this year, then doing a similar system in Saint Paul and Saint Cloud next year.

*Dinky town is the west campus of the University of MN Twin Cities, the part in Minneapolis.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:58:11 PM »
I think this is a great idea. They started a program like this in Paris a couple of years ago.

I agree that one can get very hot and sweaty pedaling a bike, especially here in Miami.

I am aware that a bike helmet is probably a good idea, but they need a redesign: they are hot, uncomfortable and make everyone look really stupid.
I have one and ride my bike every day, but I can't stand the helmet.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
seems like a good idea.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:40 PM »
I just wish my job has a place to lock my bike.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
I'm all for the OPTION of such programs.  Those that wish to participate can, those that don't, don't      8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
I just wish my job has a place to lock my bike.

put it in your car, drive it to work, and then lock it in your car.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 11:56:52 PM »
put it in your car, drive it to work, and then lock it in your car.

==================================================
That will work, for sure.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."