Author Topic: Obama playing with fire...but early success duly noted  (Read 3209 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama playing with fire...but early success duly noted
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:18 AM »
Ah ha!

Businesses began unpaid internships , coincident with the early minimum wage , and the practice has increased along with increases in minimum wage.

I call this highly suspicious coincidence.

The first attempt at establishing a national minimum wage came in 1933, when a $0.25 per hour standard was set as part of the National Industrial Recovery Act. However, in the 1935 court case Schechter Poultry Corp. v. United States (295 U.S. 495), the United States Supreme Court declared the act unconstitutional, and the minimum wage was abolished.

“   No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.   ”
—President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act.[102]
The minimum wage was re-established in the United States in 1938 (pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act), once again at $0.25 per hour ($4.10 in 2012 dollars[103]). In United States v. Darby Lumber Co. (1941), the Supreme Court upheld the Fair Labor Standards Act, holding that Congress had the power under the Commerce Clause to regulate employment conditions.

The minimum wage had its highest purchasing value ever in 1968, when it was $1.60 per hour ($10.79 in 2014 dollars[103]). From January 1981 to April 1990, the minimum wage was frozen at $3.35 per hour, then a record-setting wage freeze. From September 1, 1997 through July 23, 2007, the federal minimum wage remained constant at $5.15 per hour, breaking the old record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage_in_the_United_States
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:27:49 PM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 07:22:25 AM »
I seriously doubt that internships follow all those regulations.

Labor laws are enforced with puny fines, and even these are seldom paid.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 09:29:03 PM »
I seriously doubt that internships follow all those regulations.

Labor laws are enforced with puny fines, and even these are seldom paid.

True , this system seems to be getting abused, there are some lawsuits happening.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 01:15:42 AM »
Actuallly these internships are getting to be a serious issue. Some colleges require these interhships which means in some case are students actually paying to work due to the tuition cost.

Also unpaid internship has been label as a weening process to rid  lower income class applicant since they can't possibly afford this. The final insult about unpaid internship those programs actually has the worst hiring rate. Businesses tend to give the most base grunt work to these interns  task that has nothing to do with thier career goals so thiers no reason to hire them.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »
Very good points. Only those with serious financial backing can work for free. Hospitals abuse their interns with long hours, but they do pay them something.
I was going to do some volunteer work in South America once, until they told me that in addition to my airfare, I would have to pay them $2000 a month. Nuts to that!
My guess is that the school was run as some sort of business for the benefit of the directors.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
As a person who grew up around con artist. Lets just say  that service will have my old friends highest respect and envy.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
It is not hard to sniff out con jobs for me.

As a rule any charity that calls you on the phone for donations, any that use professional fundraisers, and any that do not reveal on their pleas for money what percent goes to the actual cause I avoid. 

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 06:55:34 PM »
I got to be honest ALOT of charities activates my BS alarms even thought some I`m pretty sure are legit. meaning I suspect some may of unknowingly lost their objectives.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
There are unbiased evaluation sites that reveal the differences between various charities.

I don't buy crap I have never seen over the phone, why should I donate money to the Police Benevolent Assiciation when they are so damned lazy they have to hire paid fundraisers?