Author Topic: Nasrallah: "If Israel wants open war, so be it"  (Read 7473 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Nasrallah: "If Israel wants open war, so be it"
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
Charity is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. I think 10% is the recommended donation.

As it is with Christianity.  Guess we can rely on the church tithes to care for the elderly instead of Social Security, eh?

;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »
>>I was just guessing ...<<

Oh brother ... can you believe this?

He always assumes the best about the worst!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2008, 05:07:16 PM »
<<He always assumes the best about the worst!>>

Who says Islam is the worst?  If you rank religions by the number of Jews killed by them, Christianity is right up there at the top of the heap. 

Do you know for a fact that they DON'T take care of their elderly?

Do you know anything about them at all that didn't come from Daniel Pipes, Bernard Lewis, Barry Rubin or David Horowitz?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »
Do you know for a fact that they DON'T take care of their elderly?

Findings of empirical studies document the existence of substantial unmet medical and social needs among rural and urban elderly in Iran.
Naghavi A. Ageing of the population and its effects on social security system. Political Econ Informat J 1997; 4: 147-56.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »
<<Do you know for a fact that they DON'T take care of their elderly?>>

<<Quote
<<Findings of empirical studies document the existence of substantial unmet medical and social needs among rural and urban elderly in Iran.
<<Naghavi A. Ageing of the population and its effects on social security system. Political Econ Informat J 1997; 4: 147-56.>>

Wow.  THAT was impressive.  I guess what I should have asked was, Do you know for a fact that their elderly are substantially worse off than America's elderly?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2008, 07:09:24 PM »
Wow.  THAT was impressive.  I guess what I should have asked was, Do you know for a fact that their elderly are substantially worse off than America's elderly?

America is not ruled under Sharia Law. Which is where the question came from.

And yes, we have Social Security and Medicare.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2008, 09:32:37 PM »
I remember seeing beggars in Bahrain , in the midst of opulencethere were old women covered in black cloth looking like a bundle of sticks or a bag of trash on he walkway . Their hands stretched out were also covered in cloth so that their skin showed not at all , I gave a bit to one of these silent women who murmured something I took to be thanks or a prayer . Later I learned that some of these were lepers , that would explain the extreme thinness.

Nearer home American beggars are most often panhandlers who strike up a conversation , offer to make a trade or tell you about an emergency that has just happened to them. My favorite on here in WR has a drastically scarred face from cancer and a prized possesion , a new bicycle.The first time I met him I bought him a sandwitch and a coke , the second time he told me he could only eat special food.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2008, 12:14:19 AM »
<Quote
<<Findings of empirical studies document the existence of substantial unmet medical and social needs among rural and urban elderly in Iran.
<<Naghavi A. Ageing of the population and its effects on social security system. Political Econ Informat J 1997; 4: 147-56.>>

--------------------------------------------------------------
Nasrallah is in Hezbollah, which is in Lebanon. Iran and Lebanon are different countries.
Iran is not ruled by Sharia Law, it is a mostly Shiite country

Perhaps Islam does not take adequate care of its infirm and elderly. These are ancient countries and rather backward. The population of all of them is many more than it was a hundred years ago, and illness and life expectancy has surely risen in that time.

I suggest that this is the responsibility of the local people. It is a bit silly to impose modern American standards on nations that are neither modern nor American.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2008, 12:24:06 AM »
Iran is not ruled by Sharia Law, it is a mostly Shiite country

The Council interprets the constitution and may veto Parliament. If a law is deemed incompatible with the constitution or Sharia (Islamic law), it is referred back to Parliament for revision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran#Government_and_politics

Legal system:
         based on Sharia law system; has not accepted compulsory ICJ jurisdiction
https://www.odci.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ir.html#Govt

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2008, 02:01:30 AM »
<<And yes, we have Social Security and Medicare.>>

Uhh, with all due respect, that is no answer to the question of whether Iran's elderly, with their admitted deficits in what they need socially and medically, are worse off than America's elderly.

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
Charity is one of the Five Pillars of Islam. I think 10% is the recommended donation.

As it is with Christianity.  Guess we can rely on the church tithes to care for the elderly instead of Social Security, eh?

;)

Actually, churches did a good job, but now the Government does it a lot more. Churches have generally abdicated their role in this regard.
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

The_Professor

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
<<Do you know for a fact that they DON'T take care of their elderly?>>

<<Quote

Is relevative important? I mean, if the poor or elderly have needs, they are needs. Yuo keep searching for justificaiton. There are poor and elderly in Muslim countries. Surely, you do not dispute this?
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide."
                                 -- Jerry Pournelle, Ph.D

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
<<Is relevative important? I mean, if the poor or elderly have needs, they are needs. Yuo keep searching for justificaiton. There are poor and elderly in Muslim countries. Surely, you do not dispute this?>>

There is just this attitude that if it happens in a Muslim country it must be bad.  Ooooooh, there are poor and neglected elderly in Iran!  Shocking.

Well, guess what?  My point is, there are poor and neglected elderly EVERYWHERE.  Yes, even in America, there are unmet needs.  Crazy, huh?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2008, 10:40:36 AM »
Uhh, with all due respect, that is no answer to the question of whether Iran's elderly, with their admitted deficits in what they need socially and medically, are worse off than America's elderly.

So? Regardless, the original claim was:

I was just guessing, don't know all that much about Sharia law, but I was pretty sure that it did.

How do you know that it doesn't?

I don't see anything in there about "worse or better than America."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
Yes.

But then the thread continued, where you produced evidence that elderly Iranians had unmet social and medical needs, I asked if the U.S. was any different, and you then revealed that the U.S. had social security and medicare.