Author Topic: "Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach."  (Read 9937 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: "Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach."
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
You're assuming the guy would have the same appreciation of the value of practice as you do.  It's an invalid assumption, considering that if he were inclined to commit mass murder, he would not necessarily be functioning with a full deck and might figure all he needs to do is to upgrade the arsenal.

We're talking about a civil engineer, the type of person who typically plans and practices everything they do.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »
<<We're talking about a civil engineer, the type of person who typically plans and practices everything they do.>>

What's amazing to me is not that you can make such vapid speculations based on his profession, which is something we've all done at one time or another, but that you and Prince expect police officers to stake their lives on them.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Because the military and police are legally allowed to purchase and carry pistols with high capacity magazines.  Not to mention the automatic weapons they're also outfitted to carry

Can you provide a link that shows most police use magazines that are higher capacity
than the public can buy?

I know several policeman that use standard 9MM magazines.

They switched because most revolvers only have six shots.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 06:47:47 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2010, 06:37:49 PM »
Yes, we are.

I disagree.
Many threads have sub-topics and this one is no different.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »
Not to mention the automatic weapons they're also outfitted to carry

I am presuming we'll soon hear that the revolver is "just as fast" as a fully automatic too!

::)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »

Prince's idea that the cops "talk to" the man to find out more before deploying is kind of disingenuous.  "Sure, officer, come on over.  Do you fellas prefer tea or coffee?" does not exactly provide the assurance one needs when one's life is at stake.

Yeah, 'cause finding out what the facts are before handcuffing a man at gunpoint and forcing him to undergo mental evaluation is too dangerous for police. It's a wonder they don't just do this to every citizen, you know, just in case. (For those of you keeping score at home, yes, that was sarcasm.)

The SWAT team dropped in with the usual precautions, no shots were fired into the guy's home (indicating that SWAT teams are capable of a lot more self-restraint than Prince would like to give them credit for - - Prince seems to see a visit by the SWAT team as synonymous with calling down a napalm strike on the guy's home; maybe he's been watching too many late-night movies)

Now you're making up stuff and ascribing it to me. In other words, you're lying.

- -  they were doing exactly what Prince suggested they do - - talk to the guy and investigate.

Showing up with a SWAT team, handcuffing the man, forcibly removing him from his property, confiscating his firearms without a warrant, and forcing him to submit to a mental evaluation is not even close to what I suggested they do. I'll give you a piece of advice. If you do not understand what I'm saying, and apparently you have trouble with that, ask me questions about what I said, and I will be quite willing to explain myself. And because I'm feeling generous, here is another bit of advice. Making up nonsense to cover the fact that you don't understand, does not make you look smarter.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2010, 06:47:36 PM »

You and Prince can second-guess them with your silly nit-picking till the cows come home, but I'm reasonably certain they did the right thing and there's a reasonably good possibility that they are all (including the subject of the investigation) alive today because of it.

I hear that tapping sticks together in the rain forest keeps polar bears away. I'm sure if you'd try it, you'd find it very effective. It may save your life one day.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2010, 07:10:16 PM »

What's amazing to me is not that you can make such vapid speculations based on his profession, which is something we've all done at one time or another, but that you and Prince expect police officers to stake their lives on them.

No. Contrary to what you keep implying, expecting the police to try to be sure of the facts before they call in the SWAT team is not an expectation that the police do nothing to protect themselves. Let's see now... did anyone say the police should depend on speculations to determine their course of action? Hm... well, you came closer to that than anyone else. You seem to think uncorroborated hearsay is sufficient grounds for calling in the SWAT team and forcibly removing a person from his property. On the other hand, I said the police should investigate to determine the actual nature of the situation.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2010, 12:12:28 AM »
<<Yeah, 'cause finding out what the facts are before handcuffing a man at gunpoint and forcing him to undergo mental evaluation is too dangerous for police. >>

Finding out what the facts are?  They ALREADY found out what the facts were.  But I'll remind you again.  The facts were that this guy was put on admin leave, was described as "very disgruntled" by somebody who seemed credible, and had made some recent semi-automatic weapons purchases despite already owning a revolver and a rifle.

Were those all the facts?  No.  But in the judgment of the police those were enough facts to justify taking immediate action to assess the problem, not dithering with further investigations which could continue indefinitely.  The most pertinent investigation they could undertake at that time AND be safe as well was to go see and talk to the man himself, in a way that doesn't leave them open to a hail of gunfire.  Which they did.  They conducted some more investigation, and mirabile dictu, found that the guy was not a threat, gave back his guns etc.  The risk to the public had been minimized.  The risk to the very disgruntled employee had been minimized.  The risk to the police themselves had been minimized.  Nobody got hurt, even by accident and everybody was safe.  Where do you see a problem?

<<It's a wonder they don't just do this to every citizen, you know, just in case. (For those of you keeping score at home, yes, that was sarcasm.)>>

Yes, I quite got that it was sarcasm, thank you for pointing that out to us.

<<Now you're making up stuff ["Prince seems to see a visit by the SWAT team as synonymous with calling down a napalm strike on the guy's home"] and ascribing it to me. In other words, you're lying.>>

Oh please.  You're starting to sound like sirs.  I am merely showing you the reductio ad absurdum of your fears.

<<Showing up with a SWAT team, handcuffing the man, forcibly removing him from his property, confiscating his firearms without a warrant, and forcing him to submit to a mental evaluation is not even close to what I suggested they do.>>

It's conceivably (depending on facts that neither of us knows) the only way to investigate the allegations and assess the reported threat.  Your problem is that you have absolutely no idea of what gave rise to the report of a very disgruntled individual - - what specific actions the guy took, what specific threats he may have made, what the officers knew of his character and past history, etc. - - and you're second-guessing experienced police officers whose lives were on the line as to what degree of threat they reasonably believed they were confronting.  If they guessed wrong, their lives and not yours would have been toast.  The citizens of their town and not yours would have been killed or injured.  Given the stakes, if they erred on the side of caution, that is actually laudable.

<<I'll give you a piece of advice. If you do not understand what I'm saying, and apparently you have trouble with that, ask me questions about what I said, and I will be quite willing to explain myself. >>

I understood perfectly well what you were saying and I don't agree with any of it.

<<And because I'm feeling generous, here is another bit of advice. Making up nonsense to cover the fact that you don't understand, does not make you look smarter.>>

Save that generous advice for someone to whom it might apply.  I made up nothing and I understood perfectly.  Your views on SWAT teams are grounded in irrational hysterical fears based on isolated incidents and of no general application.  Your grasp of the facts of the situation is, like mine, extremely limited, due to an absence of facts thus far reported, at least in this thread, but you don't seem to realize how little of the relevant facts you actually know, because if you did, you couldn't possibly make such asinine judgments.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:18:10 AM by Michael Tee »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2010, 12:20:54 AM »
The SWAT team dropped in with the usual precautions, no shots were fired into the guy's home (indicating that SWAT teams are capable of a lot more self-restraint than Prince would like to give them credit for - - Prince seems to see a visit by the SWAT team as synonymous with calling down a napalm strike on the guy's home; maybe he's been watching too many late-night movies)

Now you're making up stuff and ascribing it to me. In other words, you're lying.

Interesting.  Not the 1st time Prince has called Tee out on his not so honest responses, yet Tee continues to respond.  Intriguing hypocrisy, on display

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2010, 04:53:57 AM »

The most pertinent investigation they could undertake at that time AND be safe as well was to go see and talk to the man himself, in a way that doesn't leave them open to a hail of gunfire.  Which they did.

No. They did not. They did not talk to him. They hauled him away by force and forced him to submit to a mental evaluation. That is not the same thing or close to the same thing as to going to talk to the man. Try this: go to a person you don't know, handcuff him and use a gun for force him to leave his property, and when he complains just say "What? All I wanted to do was talk," and see what response you get.

They conducted some more investigation, and mirabile dictu, found that the guy was not a threat, gave back his guns etc.  The risk to the public had been minimized.  The risk to the very disgruntled employee had been minimized.  The risk to the police themselves had been minimized.  Nobody got hurt, even by accident and everybody was safe.  Where do you see a problem?

Where do I see a problem? Coercing man into submitting to being forcibly removed from his property and subjected to a mental evaluation, all based on hearsay without investigating to see if the hearsay had any basis in fact. Entering the man's house without a warrant to confiscate his firearms. There is a reason why one of the foundational principles of our justice system is innocent until proven guilty.

<<Now you're making up stuff ["Prince seems to see a visit by the SWAT team as synonymous with calling down a napalm strike on the guy's home"] and ascribing it to me. In other words, you're lying.>>

Oh please.  You're starting to sound like sirs.  I am merely showing you the reductio ad absurdum of your fears. [...]  I made up nothing and I understood perfectly.

No, you're making up stuff. What you said is certainly absurd, however it has nothing to do with what I actually said. And if you actually believe the nonsense you were spouting had something to do with what I said, then clearly you did not understand.

Your problem is that you have absolutely no idea of what gave rise to the report of a very disgruntled individual - - what specific actions the guy took, what specific threats he may have made, what the officers knew of his character and past history, etc. - - and you're second-guessing experienced police officers whose lives were on the line as to what degree of threat they reasonably believed they were confronting.  If they guessed wrong, their lives and not yours would have been toast.  The citizens of their town and not yours would have been killed or injured.  Given the stakes, if they erred on the side of caution, that is actually laudable.

They erred on the side of trampling the man's rights and threatening him with extreme violence over something he had not even done. That's not caution. That's abuse of authority. Apparently neither they nor you know the difference.

Your views on SWAT teams are grounded in irrational hysterical fears based on isolated incidents and of no general application. [...] but you don't seem to realize how little of the relevant facts you actually know, because if you did, you couldn't possibly make such asinine judgments.

That last part there, I would say to you. What do you know of my views on SWAT teams? Have you asked me? Or have you taken a handful (at best) of statements about the use of a SWAT team in one situation then leaped to an irrational, illogical and nonfactual assumption about what my views on SWAT teams are? Let's see... no, you certainly did not ask me. Hm.

Michael, you and I both know the SWAT team was used as a threat of force. Your attempt to gloss over that fact and insist that there was no other course of action open to the police is laughable. Your notion that the only options the police could have taken was to either leave everyone open to deadly assault from a "killing machine" or to go in with the SWAT team and forcibly remove the man from his property is, at best, naive. Your attempt to imply that somehow those of us who object to the circumstance of this event therefore expect police not to reasonably protect themselves from harm is inane. This bit of yours where you make up things about what other people mean and then try to claim it's just reductio ad absurdum is ludicrous. But you trying to paint those who privately own guns as murderers and killing machines, and then accusing someone else of "irrational hysterical fears based on isolated incidents and of no general application" when you have no substantive basis for such a conclusion, now that is what is actually asinine.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
<<No. They did not. They did not talk to him.>>

One of your problems, Prince, is that you can't recall the words of your own posts.  Let me help you out here:   

"They woke me up with a phone call at about 5:50 in the morning," Pyles told me in a phone interview Friday. "I looked out the window and saw the SWAT team pointing their guns at my house. ThThe officer on the phone told me to turn myself in. I told them I would, on three conditions: I would not be handcuffed. I would not be taken off my property. And I would not be forced to get a mental health evaluation. He agreed.

I suppose this was a telepathic telephone conversation, a meeting of minds and exchange of thoughts without the crude resort to auditory signals relied upon by the rest of the human race.  No, on second thought, I believe this was an actual TALKING kind of telephone conversation. 

If I wanted to stoop to the level of "debate" preferred by some members of this group, I suppose I could legitimately call you out as a liar, because I nailed you to the wall on this, Prince, but my own common sense tells me that not every mis-statement of fact, not every paring-down-to-essentials becomes a lie, even if it's not literally true.

<<Try this: go to a person you don't know, handcuff him and use a gun for force him to leave his property, and when he complains just say "What? All I wanted to do was talk," and see what response you get.>>

Can you say, "Gross oversimplification?"  I knew you could.  Try this:  When charged with the safety of your community and after receiving the kind of reports the police did of a certain individual, try sending one of your brother or sister officers to walk, in full uniform or in plainclothes, up to the guy's front door one morning to ring his bell.  Are you fucking nuts??? Or maybe try tipping him off with a friendly series of telephone inquiries before surrounding his home, and then try to catch up with him afterwards if you're not exactly reassured by the conversation.  Try discretely following him around and if he suddenly starts firing at the passersby, try to stop  him before he hits any . . .  or any more.

Prince, all I can say is that after reading your nonsense and bullshit for way longer than it's worth, I am profoundly thankful that nobody has put you in charge of any law enforcement agency anywhere on this planet.  The motto of our local police force is "To serve and protect" and you can bet your ass I am extremely uneasy about your ability to perform the second part of that mandate.

<<all based on hearsay without investigating to see if the hearsay had any basis in fact.>>

Most of the police's preliminary information IS hearsay, Prince.  The urgency of the situation as perceived by them determines how much fact they can afford to gather before acting.  Depending on what the first source to inform them of the man being recently armed with semi-automatic hand-guns and rifle, and its credibility, they may or may not have decided to spend more time driving over to the local gun-shop to verify the first report.  That's their call and it's easy to see circumstances where it's riskier to check out the first reports than to assume the worst.  Again, serve and protect.  You just don't know the volume or the quality of the information already amassed when the decision was made to proceed as they did.

<<There is a reason why one of the foundational principles of our justice system is innocent until proven guilty.>>

You are definitely a very confused little puppy.  That's the foundational principle of one particular part of our justice system, the criminal courts.  It is certainly NOT a foundational principle of good police work, which is a totally different part of our justice system.

<<What you said is certainly absurd, however it has nothing to do with what I actually said.>>

Prince, for once, just use your fucking brain.  There is nobody in this group and probably no sane person in the world, who would believe that the calling in of a SWAT team is the literal equivalent of calling down a napalm strike.  For one thing, the SWAT team doesn't even HAVE napalm.  That was a rhetorical exaggeration of what you said, meant as such, perceived by any reasonable reader as such, the precise designation for which is a reductio ad absurdum.  If you want to persist in calling it a lie, that is your call, just as it's my call to decide if I want to continue "debating" with such a fucking idiot.

<<They erred on the side of trampling the man's rights and threatening him with extreme violence over something he had not even done. >>

They certainly took precautions which threatened him with extreme violence, but they did not necessarily trample on the man's rights.  It's an interesting question, though.  If the law permits them to by-pass the need for a warrant in an emergency, it must mean (IMHO) that the guy's rights were always conditional on their not being apposed to the duty of police officers in responding to a perceived emergency.  The right not to be arbitrarily home-invaded, cuffed, etc. is less absolute than we think when it goes up against police responding to a perceived emergency.  It WOULD be "trampling on his rights" if the perception of the emergency had not been reasonable.

<<That's not caution. That's abuse of authority. Apparently neither they nor you know the difference.>>

Actually, it seems that I know it better than you do.  Whether additional facts will show that the police did in fact abuse their authority remains to be seen.  From what I've seen so far, assuming the credibility of the sources, they clearly took the correct course.

<<What do you know of my views on SWAT teams? Have you asked me? Or have you taken a handful (at best) of statements about the use of a SWAT team in one situation then leaped to an irrational, illogical and nonfactual assumption about what my views on SWAT teams are? Let's see... no, you certainly did not ask me. Hm.>>

Very simply, I saw the way that you (over)reacted to the calling in of the SWAT team and I came to the obvious conclusion.

<<Michael, you and I both know the SWAT team was used as a threat of force.>>

It was used to PREVENT an outbreak of violence, part of which prevention certainly involves making the individual they were protecting the community (and themselves) against aware of the existence of a lethal counter-force to any violence that he MIGHT be contemplating himself, and yes, Prince, that is a threat of force.  Comes in handy, sometimes, the threat of force.  That's why we have armed our police.  It's hard to see where threat of force leaves off and self-defence comes in, but the general perception seems to be that an armed police force will reduce the general level of violence.  Of course, in any community foolish enough to put YOU in charge of their police services, you could persuade the force to give up its guns and thereby eliminate one "threat of force" from your unfortunate community's streets.

<<But you trying to paint those who privately own guns as murderers and killing machines, and then accusing someone else of "irrational hysterical fears based on isolated incidents and of no general application" when you have no substantive basis for such a conclusion, now that is what is actually asinine.>>

Try to keep it honest, Prince.  I don't accuse "those who privately own guns" as murderers and killing machines.  I made it clear in these posts that my own father privately owned guns.  You gloss over what I said, which concerned a guy who not only "privately owned guns" but was recently laid off, described as "very disgruntled" and had just substantially increased the firepower of his little arsenal.  THAT adds up to much more of a threat than merely "privately owning guns."  I believe most reasonable people are capable of assessing that as cause for alarm.  The degree of urgency to that alarm, I believe is generally for the police to assess.  Sure they MIGHT abuse that authority, but I've seen nothing to date that indicates that they have.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2010, 10:47:45 AM »
One of your problems, Prince, is that you can't recall the words of your own posts.  Let me help you out here:   

"They woke me up with a phone call at about 5:50 in the morning," Pyles told me in a phone interview Friday. "I looked out the window and saw the SWAT team pointing their guns at my house. ThThe officer on the phone told me to turn myself in. I told them I would, on three conditions: I would not be handcuffed. I would not be taken off my property. And I would not be forced to get a mental health evaluation. He agreed.

I suppose this was a telepathic telephone conversation, a meeting of minds and exchange of thoughts without the crude resort to auditory signals relied upon by the rest of the human race.  No, on second thought, I believe this was an actual TALKING kind of telephone conversation. 

That's called a "demand," not a conversation.

I don't accuse "those who privately own guns" as murderers and killing machines.

Let me help you out here.

I still don't buy the idea that the guy didn't become a more efficient killing machine with his new acquisitions.

Gun owners with semi-automatic weapons are "more efficient killing machines" so gun owners are "killing machines".
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
I would guess that when they spoke, the police indicated their concern.  They then proceeded to negotiate the police "demands" as you call them and agreed on the terms of compliance.  (admittedly violated by the police and probably agreed to by them in bad faith, but that is an entirely different issue and may well be SOP designed to avoid bloodshed.)

Sorry but I don't see any contradiction at all between:

<<I still don't buy the idea that the guy didn't become a more efficient killing machine with his new acquisitions.>>

and

<<I don't accuse "those who privately own guns" as murderers and killing machines.>>

In the one case I am talking about gun owners in general and in the other case about gun owners with particular problems:  put on admin leave, very disgruntled, recently making major firearms upgrades.  I suppose I should have inserted the word "potential" in there to indicate the guy was POTENTIALLY a more efficient killing machine, but I think most sane and normal people would have perceived the general intention of my remarks.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 12:45:14 PM »
I suppose I should have inserted the word "potential" in there to indicate the guy was POTENTIALLY a more efficient killing machine, but I think most sane and normal people would have perceived the general intention of my remarks.

This seems to be a common theme here. You don't write what you mean and think that others should read meaning into your words, and you assume that others are writing like you (and therefore you read meanings into other's writing that isn't there).

Most "sane and normal" people write what they mean.