Author Topic: McCain's pastor a sharp contrast to Obama's  (Read 11101 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: McCain's pastor a sharp contrast to Obama's
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »
I have never seen anyone wearing nipple jewelry, nor have I seen nipple jewelry on display. I frequent many yard sales, and have seen a lot of other weird things, but perhaps I have led a sheltered life. Or at least one sheltered from niple jewelry.

Go to a Renaissance Fair.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2008, 06:55:08 PM »
the United States is filled with "plastic Paddies", which are Americans of distant Irish (sometimes actually Scots-Irish) ancestry who consider themselves Irish. Are they Irish? No. They clearly aren't Irish in culture and you could not place them in Ireland and have them blend in to that society.

Watch it JS, I am "Irish".
JS could you say the same think about African Americans?
As you said "they consider themselves" African.
Are they African?
They clearly aren't African in culture and you could not drop them into the Congo and have them blend in?
I am not being a smartass. I am just curious. Is it in some ways the same?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2008, 11:39:49 PM »
The difference between being African American and Irish or Irish American is that any fool can see if you have African ancestors.
If you are Irish, you could look English, Scottish, Welsh, French, Dutch, Danish or a variety of other European nationalities.

African America people look in the mirror and know they are different. They have their own culture, and even though it isn't particularly African, it is theirs and it is unique.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:43:17 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »
the United States is filled with "plastic Paddies", which are Americans of distant Irish (sometimes actually Scots-Irish) ancestry who consider themselves Irish. Are they Irish? No. They clearly aren't Irish in culture and you could not place them in Ireland and have them blend in to that society.

Watch it JS, I am "Irish".
JS could you say the same think about African Americans?
As you said "they consider themselves" African.
Are they African?
They clearly aren't African in culture and you could not drop them into the Congo and have them blend in?
I am not being a smartass. I am just curious. Is it in some ways the same?

Me too. I possibly have one of the most Irish full names a human being can have. Yet, if you or I were dropped into Belfast or Dublin, I doubt that either of us would be anything more than Americans to the people there. In fact, you're so far removed from Irish culture that you don't practice their faith (that's not an insult, just pointing out the difference). While Irish-Americans drink green beer on Saint Patrick's day and have large parades, while turning the city river green - it isn't even a major event in Eire. It is a day to go to church and typically a holiday with a few parades (nothing like here). Most Americans do not know who Bobby Sands was, what the difference is Londonderry and Derry are, why 1 February is a holiday, and what goes into a proper Irish stew.

My point is not that Irish Americans are bad people, but that they aren't Irish in any true sense of being from Ireland. They are a culture unto themselves, with their own peculiar practices - some of which have little to do with the Irish.

Your question about African-Americans has a similar answer.

African-Americans are not culturally identical with the tribes of the Congo or the Hutus and Tutsis of Rwanda, Congo, and Burundi. You cannot take Whitney Houston and place her in Ghana and expect her to blend in as if she is culturally identical. She is not, nor are the vast majority of African-Americans. That misses the point.

African-Americans are a unique culture formed from the crucible of the slave trade and life as second or third class citizens of this land for the past four centuries. African-Americans have been the most impoverished (along with Native Americans), the most subjected to institutional violence, and also subtle forms of class and racial prejudice. They fought a racial war against institutions of governments, churches (notably the Southern Baptists), and the bourgeoisie establishment of white citizens across the country (but especially in the South). African-Americans are absolutely a culture unto themselves, perhaps with some regional variation, but a distinct culture nonetheless and with some rich traditions and heritage as well.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2008, 02:28:33 PM »
African-Americans are a unique culture formed from the crucible of the slave trade and life as second or third class citizens of this land for the past four centuries. African-Americans have been the most impoverished (along with Native Americans), the most subjected to institutional violence, and also subtle forms of class and racial prejudice. They fought a racial war against institutions of governments, churches (notably the Southern Baptists), and the bourgeoisie establishment of white citizens across the country (but especially in the South). African-Americans are absolutely a culture unto themselves, perhaps with some regional variation, but a distinct culture nonetheless and with some rich traditions and heritage as well.

======================================================================
This is exactly and precisely true.

Irish Americans would not be the same if not for Ireland, but most of what is passed off as Irias 'culture' in the US could easily be faked by a dedicated British, Scottish, Welsh or even Lithuanian American.

African-American culture is a lot deeper than Irish-American culture. Were it not for Africa, it would not even be possible.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
African-American culture is a lot deeper than Irish-American culture.

Like JS states, "Your question about African-Americans has a similar answer".
African Americans would for the most part be completely "lost" if they were
dropped into African countries. The centuries of being in the United States
they have developed their own culture that has very little to do with Africa today.
I would think most African American kids today have no cultural ties to Africa. Most
have never been there, will probably never travel there, and they would rather be
on the beaches in Cancun than be in the Congo.

Were it not for Africa, it would not even be possible.

And the same for Ireland.

Oh and XO if a white man from Africa emigrates to the US and
becomes a citizen, is he then an African American?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 03:31:51 PM by ChristiansUnited4LessGvt »
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Rich

« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2008, 10:23:04 PM »
>>African America people look in the mirror and know they are different.<<

For some, it seems to piss them off something awful.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2008, 07:50:05 PM »
>>African America people look in the mirror and know they are different.<<

For some, it seems to piss them off something awful.

How so?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked: