Author Topic: WOW! Cindy Sheehan Rocks!!!  (Read 2247 times)

yellow_crane

Re: WOW! Cindy Sheehan Rocks!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 09:01:20 PM »
What else is new?

Atlanta is in the midst of a severe drought and the Corps of Engineers is draining 2 million gallons a day from our major water source to bathe a couple dozen mussels down stream.

Environmental court order, dontcha know.

I'm thinking about expanding into the rain barrel business.

I have five rain barrels on my house, and a hose connected to the condensation line on my
AC.

I also am on a well with a one horse submerged pump.

A news item on the local TV said that the water bills will about double in the next three years.  People are paying around a hundred a month as it is, and those people are frugal in their use.

I have a small pond which is the excavated hole for raising the house foundation sufficently to avoid paying flood zone insurance.   This pond has three kinds of fish, and is a time share for a local otter.  It raises and falls with the artesian water table, and not with the rain.  If things get bad or my well dries up, I will tie rags together and lay them in the pond--they will carry water, even uphill, to the irrigation rows around my blueberries, bitter melons, and kiwi fruit.

I fully expect somewhere down the line the county comissioners  to pass a regulation demanding that all people on wells must have them disconnected and put on the county water system.  This will be about the time Boone Pickens achieves national notoriety.

I have a shotgun for that.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 09:08:59 PM »
YC

How do you handle mosquitoes in the barrels?

I'm also looking for an external pump to boost the gravity feed. Any ideas?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »
Yea, just like they did with Joe Lieberman........oh wait        ;)

You'll remember that Joe Leiberman LOST his Democratic primary.  Sure, he won the general but he's no longer stinking up the Dem Party.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 01:48:43 AM »
Yea, just like they did with Joe Lieberman........oh wait        ;)

You'll remember that Joe Leiberman LOST his Democratic primary.  Sure, he won the general but..

....but THAT's the point, the PEOPLE spoke, via their ballot, and it wasn't representative of the far left nutjobs that MoveOn, wanted.  So apparently the Dems didn't "sit up and take notice" either, that go-round.  Too busy running as the Anti-Bush
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 11:07:29 AM »
Joe Leiberman headed up the whole Homeland Security bloating of federal government.  I find it amusing that you love him so much when he so obviously FOR MORE government spending.

Of course, your precious lord and savior W signed the bill to approve it.  So, I guess you're just between Iraq and a hard place.

I was reading a story last night about how in WWII people who couldn't sign up and fight quit their jobs and went to cities where they could work building planes and everything else.  What's up with no one doing a gd thing to support the current precious and beloved and honorable war other than bloviating from their keyboards and slandering anyone against that oh, so beautiful and bloody conflict "over there"?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 11:17:40 AM »
<<I was reading a story last night about how in WWII people who couldn't sign up and fight quit their jobs and went to cities where they could work building planes and everything else.  What's up with no one doing a gd thing to support the current precious and beloved and honorable war other than bloviating from their keyboards and slandering anyone against that oh, so beautiful and bloody conflict "over there"?>>

I think in those days, there was very good money in defense-related jobs and it was also a time when America HAD manufacturing jobs because it made things.  There was a government that cared enough about the working class to see that their jobs weren't outsourced to the Third World.  That would have been what Howard Dean called "the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 11:35:22 AM »
Joe Leiberman headed up the whole Homeland Security bloating of federal government.  I find it amusing that you love him so much when he so obviously FOR MORE government spending.

When are you planning to start getting things right, Brass.  Care to cite anywhere how I "love him so much".  Demonstrating how the people of HIS state were the ones that saw thru the garbage the Dems were trying to put forth, and elected Lieberman instead, despite that he wasn't part of any major party at that time, is somehow analogus to me "loving him" or loving Government spending?  Oh wait, sorry I forgot.  1st rule of liberal debunking; when unable, throw out the labels Fascist, and/or war lover, and/or Bush lover, or in this case Lieberman lover.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

yellow_crane

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
YC

How do you handle mosquitoes in the barrels?

I'm also looking for an external pump to boost the gravity feed. Any ideas?

Window screen.  Put it on the top of the barrel, cinch it on permenantly.  It will slow the entry, but not much.  You can adjust by just letting it sag some in the middle. 

I bought eight large window screens at the flea market because they had a tight mesh, to insure keeping out mosquitos. 

Haven't had a problem at all with mosquitoes as a result.

I assume your second question is about speeding delivery from the barrel to wherever. 

If that is what you mean, I put mine on concrete blocks, three high, which facilitates the drain.

Any kind of pump to push one rainbarrel full seems impractical. 

Where I live, the max pump submerged allowed is one horse power;  above ground pump, two horse power.   This is about a well water setup, and not water from rain. 

But if I have missed your point, there are pumps out there floating all around in all sizes.

I have probably a half dozen, from a Jacuzzi half horse to two swimming pool pumps and assorted small garden pumps.  Total investment, about $l6, all products carefully vetted at the flea markets and garage sales.

For emergencies, I have one of the old fashioned, pre-power pump hand pumps they used on all farms, the ones you have to prime and then pump up and down.  I made sure I got one that was used only on water, and not some twenty-fourth century super cleaning solvent. 

Rain barrels as a business is not a bad idea.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 12:17:25 AM »
"People of America, this is truly the problem with what was once a Representative Republic and now is a country run by "elected" officials who believe that they, individually and collectively, are above any accountability and are not answerable to their constituents. Our public servants erroneously believe that they are the leaders!"

Cindy Sheehan shouldn't have been used by pomiseing her somethin that was not possible to give her.

Now it has become hard to explain to her why her ideas are not good ones and would cause disaster , after she was praised and used.