Author Topic: Citing God's authority, clerk defies Supreme Court on gay marriages  (Read 8204 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Citing God's authority, clerk defies Supreme Court on gay marriages
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
What does the Bible say about CIVIL MARRIAGES?

What does that have to do with the point being made......that being, no Public Servant should be above the law.  I realize the need to try and change the subject that has no bearing on this topic, but steering your bus back onto the road, it doesn't matter what form of public servant you are, be it a County Clerk or POTUS, you don't get to pick and choose which laws you're going to abide by, and which ones you're going to ignore.  If this Clerk is in contempt FOR WHATEVER REASON, then so is Obama with his unconstitutional executive actions, and every mayor & City Council member who pushes the notion of Sanctuary Cities
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 02:48:26 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2015, 02:48:02 PM »
Yep yep yep...hanging, though, isn't quite as simple as it seems. If the knot isn't placed properly, or the victim doesn't drop far enough, the neck isn't broken cleanly. What generally happens then is slow strangulation, but occasionally a victim will survive.

Indeed....location of the knot is everything.  IIRC, Mel Gibson had a near death experience with a not that wasn't in quite the right spot.  I think it was Braveheart.  I read also that Michael J Fox passed out with that scene where he was "hung" in Back to the Future III

I could care less about 'cruel and unusual' and how much the condemned person suffers during the execution process, whatever method is used, since they generally had no regard for the suffering of their victims, so if they kick and twitch a while, well, bummer.

This brings up a great tangent, that I was thinking about broaching at some time, but your comment is the perfect diving board, as it relates to the Death Penalty.  And you don't have to respond, since it is an off topic tangent, but it's maddening to watch places like CA, have had so many anti-death penalty lobbiests, put so many bureaucratic loops in the sentencing process, that folks on Death Row are there for decades, and just recently I heard the latest claim of abolishing the death penalty here, is that...get this....it takes too long to execute someone, and that's supposedly "cruel & unusual punishment".  I'm all for the appeals process, but 20+years?? 

And all the guff you hear how the "coctail" they use is supposedly causing pain.  Good gravy, they're being put to death, pain is the least of their concerns at that time.  But if so, there are so many means to medically put someone to sleep, where they feel nothing.  Then you could simply put a bullet thru their brain, and they'd still feel nothing.  And what's wrong with carbon monixide?  Oderless, painless, you simply lose consiousness....and die.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Hmmmm....

Appeals...three max, all within 5 years, sentence to be carried out within 30 days of the final ruling of the last appeal. I'm all for stopping these endless appeals for any reason one can dredge up. If it doesn't relate directly to the evidence presented or to a procedural error during the trial, appeal denied - with the added penalty, it counts against the 3 appeals you are allowed.

Method of execution, whatever works. I'm partial to throwing the juice to 'em as they sit strapped to a nice, solid oak chair, but I'm flexible. Make executions public. Sell tickets to be there live, or pay per view on cable, whatever. Have a lottery to select who gets to pull the lever or trigger or push the button or whatever. Let them generate some income to offset the cost. I wouldn't go so far as China and bill the condemned person's family for the bullet, but maybe they could recoup some of the cost of the trial and incarceration.

Cruel and unusual, well, that's open to interpretation. I could go for keelhauling, or being drawn and quartered, beheaded, hung, shot, gassed, injected...after all, it's not like they had any concern for their victims. Lesser punishments might include flogging, stocks, removing a hand for theft, three strikes and you're branded...Those are deterrents. It doesn't seem like jail is much of a deterrent any more, maybe we should try something different.

P.S. - they seem to work in Saudi Arabia.

I guess I'm just a law and order kind of guy.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »
 8)

I might go with 8 years as my ceiling, but really 4-5 is all that's really needed to address every conceivable rock to turn over

I do agree that the notion of how we have to be as humane as possible to someone who brutally raped, tortured, and killed some child, is qausi unacceptable.  Seriously, the stories I hear of what some folks will do to pet dogs, has me on the side of doing precsiely to them as they did to the dog.   So, I too, have no problem with old sparky.  But I also know, from a medical standpoint, all of the issues that the anti-death penalty zealots give as supposedly someone who's "suffering" while dying, can be dealt with, with a laundry list of mechanisms where they feel no pain.  The worst "pain" would be getting stuck with the IV needle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »

Nahhhh, probly piss too many people off.

This you are free to do.

That seems to something that we all do.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »
Who me??  Piss anyone off??  Perish the thought     ;)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
She is not being punished for practicing her religion. She is being punished for using the government to practice HER religion.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 06:44:21 PM »
No, she's not mandating anyone convert Christianity and to practice her religion.  She's being punished for refusing to abide by her lawful duties as County Clerk, in enforcing current marriage law.  Nor does it matter the reason

Her actions are no different than Obama's in refusing to abide by his lawful duties, in enforcing current immigration law.  Doesn't matter what his reasons are.  Its the point of his refusing to perform his authorized/elected function, just as hers

Her actions are no different than every Mayor who advocates that their city is a sanctuary city, and refusing to abide by his/her elected duties in enforcing current Federal laws, related to immigration

Public servants don't get to choose which laws they're going to abide by, and which ones they're going to ignore.  The laws apply to ALL OF US

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_25656500/same-sex-marriage-has-roots-boulders-controversial-history

You think that county clerks should not be innovative?

This is a link to the story of a much admired county clerk who is the opposite story. She issued marriage license to same sex couples when it was not legal to do so.

Is this the opposite story , or the same story?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
I'd deduce the same story, if there was no law for her to be following, when she was handing out the licenses

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2015, 08:24:14 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tenn-judge-refuses-to-grant-straight-couple-a-divorce-because-%e2%80%a6-gay-marriage/ar-AAdXgz7

This is interesting , but it isn't likely to work.

This judge in a difficult divorce case seems to be saying that if the Feds want to control marriage then the feds should bear the responsibility.

Having stolen the authority from the states , can the feds step aside  and expect the states to bear the confusion that results?

Yes , the fed probably can , the tenth amendment is notoriously unenforced.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
she's not mandating anyone convert Christianity and to practice her religion

That is precisely what she is doing she is using the government to deny gay couples the right to marry by using her government position to refuse them what they came to her office for.

I agree she is being punish for refusing to do her job. But she is refusing claiming that it is her religion that prevents her from doing it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2015, 11:21:48 PM »
That is precisely what she is doing she is using the government to deny gay couples the right to marry by using her government position to refuse them what they came to her office for.

That doesn't mean they have to become Christian........not to mention its IRRELEVANT WHAT HER REASON IS OR WHAT SHE'S CLAIMING.  Whatever the reason, she's simply refusing to do her elected job, in issuing marriage licenses

Which is no different than what Obama has been doing with a host of executive decisions, topped off by his refusing to do his elected job at enforcing current immigration law

Public servants don't get to pick and choose which laws they're going to abide by, and which laws they're going to ignore.  Only criminals do that

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 01:31:48 AM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/should-ny-judge-face-same-standard-as-ky-clerk

So county Clerks and Judges and Sheriffs that refuse to issue concealed carry and firearm sales license and permits can look forward to some jail time?

Hillary Rodham Clinton posted a message on Twitter that “Officials should be held to their duty to uphold the law—end of story”

We can lock up half the government of Chicago with this, and that ain't bad.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »
Indeed