Author Topic: Europe's New Young Generation of Losers  (Read 7056 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Europe's New Young Generation of Losers
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 03:04:13 AM »
In addition, PETA are also hypocrites. They kill animals at their shelters, while criticising others for the same thing.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Europe's New Young Generation of Losers
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 04:20:08 AM »

You don't really understand what Marx wrote, do you?

I understand what you wrote. You're complaining that poor people in economically challenged countries are getting jobs, and therefore income, they might not otherwise have had. This, you say, is a race to the bottom. I say it's helping other people. No, it's not charity, but it is benefiting others. One the one hand I have Michael Tee proclaiming that communism is going to provide everyone with jobs. And on the other hand, I have you complaining that capitalism is providing people with jobs. I find it doubtful that Karl Marx was so irrational.

It might be true that the teenage Chinese girl who sewed your underwear is better off working 12 hours per six-day week for 15$3 a day in a sweatshop far from her family. Perhaps she will have a better life than she would have had at home in her village slopping the hogs and feeding the chickens. The tragedy is that the Mexican and Salvadorean girls who used to sew your tighty whities for $5 a day are now out of work in some city they were lured to by the promise of a better life.

You're assuming there is nothing else for them to do and that they are left incapable of doing anything about their situation. Taiwan had a problem similar to what you mention. From the 1960s to the 1980s, Mattel made Barbie dolls in Taiwan. Mattel moved factories to other countries, and Taiwan's economy fell apart and people died because they had no jobs and... oops, wait, no, that isn't what happened at all. In fact, Taiwan has a flourishing economy as I understand it. The C.I.A. World Factbook says, "Strong trade performance in 2006 pushed Taiwan's GDP growth rate above 4%, and unemployment is below 4%."

Neither communism nor capitalism is the solution, face it.

I never said capitalism is the solution. I think anyone looking to capitalism as a solution is looking in the wrong place. Capitalism is a means, not an end. The world's problems are not so simple that capitalism is the solution. But it can be a part of the solution. And frankly, from what I've seen, it works better than communism. I know you'll disagree and tell me all the horrible things capitalism has done, but I think you blame capitalism too much for the actions of people.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--