Author Topic: Bushmaster  (Read 16987 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bushmaster
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »
  Hunting is important , but it is shrinking , fewer hunters buy the liscense every year.

Gun sales are still rising even as hunting is shrinking.

So I suppose the purportion of guns being bought for the purpose of hunting is doubly shrinking.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 11:11:40 PM »
It wasn't even a secondary reason as an Amendment to the Bill of Rights.......or a 3rd......or pick any #.

And you know this because?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:40 PM »
It wasn't even a secondary reason as an Amendment to the Bill of Rights.......or a 3rd......or pick any #.

Perhaps he has read  Federalist Papers No. 46 by James Madison?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalist_No._46

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Federalist_Papers/No._46

The highest number to which, according to the best computation, a standing army can be carried in any country, does not exceed one hundredth part of the whole number of souls; or one twenty-fifth part of the number able to bear arms. This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by Governments possessing their affections and confidence. It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops. Those who are best acquainted with the late successful resistance of this country against the British arms, will be most inclined to deny the possibility of it. Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the People of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate Governments, to which the People are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier, against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple Government of any form can admit of. Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the Governments are afraid to trust the People with arms

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 11:45:08 PM »
Perhaps he should look over the English Bill of Rights from 1689.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2012, 01:21:29 AM »
Perhaps he should look over the English Bill of Rights from 1689.

Is that the one that provides a right to Prodestants to bear arms?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2012, 01:51:56 AM »
I believe the Catholics and Protestants were falling in and out of favor depending on who was king, so i think you are looking at the right document.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2012, 01:54:03 AM »

Because I've seen the rest of our Bill of Rights......in context.  NOTHING to do with hunting.  If you think it was, please provide the appropriate texts and linkage.  And please be specific
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:09 AM »
I never claimed the 2nd was written to protect hunting rights. It was written to protect the rights to bear arms. What the arms are used for is not delineated in the text.

Re: The Influence of the English Bill of Rights of 1689 you will find this section illuminating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#Influence_of_the_English_Bill_of_Rights_of_1689

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2012, 02:55:17 AM »
So if the 2nd amendment to the U.S. Constitution isn't about hunting in any way, why all this grief thrown at me, when I make that same point to Xo??  Was I too emphatic??  Too sure of myself??, (which was based on the totality of what the Bill of Rights is all about)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
Again, in the 1780's hunting with a rifle was as ordinary as parking in a parking lot is today. The fact is that this was not Europe, where every square acre belonged to someone and hunting there was trespassing and could get you arrested or killed, it was America, where much land was free and available to hunters, settlers, anyone who had the gumption to do something on it or with it. The British had declared that the colonies would not extend beyond the Alleghenys and other set boundaries, and that was what riled the people on the frontier, who practiced slash and burn agriculture at the time.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Why do you keep arguing a point, not in dispute?  that firearms, in the day, were frequently used for hunting??    :o

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
That would be because you are apparently too damn stupid to see the connection. What politicians always do is they try to make doing something that requires no action at all (such as letting all the pioneers keep their hunting rifles) into some Great Humanitarian Cause.

It would have been both impossible and stupid to try to confiscate all those single shot rifles and dueling pistols from the citizens in 1780.

I am all for everyone having the right to bear those same weapons today.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
That would be because you are apparently too damn stupid to see the connection.

Is that the connection between the 2nd amendment and the Bill or Rights?  The connection between that the Bill of Rights is all about?  Here's a hint, it had NOTHING to do with hunting

What politicians always do is they try to make doing something that requires no action at all (such as letting all the pioneers keep their hunting rifles) into some Great Humanitarian Cause.

The Bill of Rights to the Constitution had prescious little to do with Humanitarian Causes.  That's what the left has tried to do in re-defining the Constitution.

It would have been both impossible and stupid to try to confiscate all those single shot rifles and dueling pistols from the citizens in 1780.

Which again is a completely different point, to this whole tangent you've taken on

I am all for everyone having the right to bear those same weapons today.

Yea, let's make sure we only get 1 shot out to that group of 5 thugs coming at you.   :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:13:27 PM by sirs »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2012, 06:05:10 PM »
You will never rescue me, dolt. I have been on this planet for 70 years and have never seen you or been in danger of being shot.

It would be like taking out an insurance policy against my being eaten by a Kimodo dragon while on a roller coaster.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
Why would I rescue you, dolt squared?    :o