Author Topic: Why Does Obama's Pastor Matter?  (Read 17735 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why Does Obama's Pastor Matter?
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
<<But at least you're conceding it's merely a tactic of bringing Roberston into a discussion, to hyperbolically demonize all Christians.  That was quite big of you to advance such a confession>>

Well, I can speak for myself on that issue.  I brought Robertson into the discussion as a clear-cut demonstration of the hypocrisy of the Amerikkkan fascist movement, who think they can demnize all Muslims

And we're all looking forward to this pervasive list of those that do precisely that.  *whistle*

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2008, 12:07:42 PM »
The Pat Robertson impression is made from the information availible to him , includeing the incidents when homosexuals were purposely confrontational.

So some homosexuals are confrontational, and all of a sudden Pat Robertson, with God on his speed dial, suddenly knows that they want to  throw blood all around and try to give people AIDS?  I googled homosexuals throwing blood, and all I found was Robertson's quote.  Perhaps you could show me where a gay person suggested such action?  And if I'm wrong I'll admit it.  Sounds to me more like he's trying to condemn homosexuals not by the traditional action, the Bible, but by pretending to know what they want to do.  That's dishonest.  And frankly, kind of sick.

Ok , Pat Robertson deserves criticism for exageration.
And also criticism for expanding his accusation beyond the scope that scripture demands.

fatman

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2008, 12:09:10 PM »
Thanks Plane, you're honest.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2008, 12:11:55 PM »
<<Your demonstration works if the reverse is equal.>>

You're setting the bar way too high.  No two people are going to be the exact equal of one another in craziness, especially if they come from two different cultures and are addressing two different audiences.  I consider them equally crazy (more or less) if both are irrational, propose disastrous and horribly violent solutions and claim to be chanelling God almighty when doing so.  To go beyond that and explore levels of craziness is just pointless nitpicking.  There are some really crazy ideas that would fly in Teheran but wouldn't fly in Oshkosh.  Also, we're not looking for craziness from the same cultural POV.  What appears crazy to a Westerner might not appear all that crazy to a Middle Easterner.  We'd wind up endlessly splitting hairs to no good purpose.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2008, 12:19:04 PM »
<<Your demonstration works if the reverse is equal.>>

You're setting the bar way too high.  No two people are going to be the exact equal of one another in craziness, especially if they come from two different cultures and are addressing two different audiences.  I consider them equally crazy (more or less) if both are irrational, propose disastrous and horribly violent solutions and claim to be channeling God almighty when doing so.  To go beyond that and explore levels of craziness is just pointless nitpicking.  There are some really crazy ideas that would fly in Tehran but wouldn't fly in Oshkosh.  Also, we're not looking for craziness from the same cultural POV.  What appears crazy to a Westerner might not appear all that crazy to a Middle Easterner.  We'd wind up endlessly splitting hairs to no good purpose.

Well then let it be within the same order of magnitude , which might be more subjective .

Or is your point that the Audience of Pat Robertson is more civilized than the audience of the radical Muslims?
Such that equal exhortation is not required to achieve equivalent frenzy?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »
<<And we're all looking forward to this pervasive list of those that do precisely that. [demonize Muslims by quoting their craziest religious leaders] *whistle*>>

Whistle a happy tune, my friend, and look no further than the head of this thread, or the others criticizing Obama's so-called Muslim links.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »
<<And we're all looking forward to this pervasive list of those that do precisely that. [demonize Muslims by quoting their craziest religious leaders] *whistle*>>

Whistle a happy tune, my friend, and look no further than the head of this thread, or the others criticizing Obama's so-called Muslim links.

I thought the link in question was a Christian pastor , outspoken in a manner simular to Pat Robertson?

If Obamas pastor was Pat Robertson himself , would you be interested?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:42 PM »
<<I thought the link in question was a Christian pastor , outspoken in a manner simular to Pat Robertson?>>

You're wrong - - the link is THROUGH the pastor to Muslim extremists and their web-sites.  The connection they are hoping to establish is Obama=Farrakhan and even worse, the further you go down the links.

<<If Obamas pastor was Pat Robertson himself , would you be interested?>>

Depending on who Pat Robertson linked to and how much of his and their ideology you could find in Obama's words.  Generally, I realize that politicians have to reach out to a lot of people, some of them probably unsavoury, get the support without committing to a reciprocal support, promising nothing to them.  Ideally they won't like you but will feel you're not as bad as your competition and that's why they will support you. 

I'm basically not as freaked out by Farrakhan and more extreme Muslims as you seem to be.  I realize there is a lot of anger there, but also that a lot of that anger is justified.  Nazis, on the other hand, are just vermin that need to be destroyed.  They're angry at nothing, for no good reason, so you don't get the feeling that you are dealing with a thinking, feeling human beng, only with a ball of living hate.  In Farrakhan and his ilk, I can see the hurt lurking behind the hatred.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »
<<And we're all looking forward to this pervasive list of those that do precisely that. [demonize ALL Muslims by quoting their craziest religious leaders] *whistle*>>

Ok, that makes a grand total of ................... 1.  wow, way to go, Tee
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
Plenty of other threads here starting with the exact same kind of shit, sirs.  I'm not combing the internet for you.  If you can easily find them right here in this NG, they're all over the net.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »
Plenty of other threads here starting with the exact same kind of shit, sirs.  I'm not combing the internet for you.  

I understand.  When you can't back up your own accusation.....get someone else to do it.  Hey, whatever works for you, big guy

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »
Thanks Plane, you're honest.

Yes , ...

But I am not always such a pushover about it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2008, 10:18:35 PM »
"Uh-oh!  Press Beginning to Link . . . "

"Why Does Obama's Pastor Matter?"

"Radical Muslims for Obama"

There are just three examples from this NG of attempts to link Obama to crazd extremists.  there are more.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:18 PM »
And.....................?  Provides squat to your accusation of some mass of folks condemning all muslims, by virture of referencing some "crazed" religious leader

Next

fatman

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2008, 11:05:23 PM »
Yes , ...

But I am not always such a pushover about it.

Tell me something I don't know  ;D